Will Prices Drop

mcrcruiser

Prices will not drop because of lower fuel costs. As far as a slowing global economy, what prices are based on is supply and demand. If bookings slow down, they will drop prices or offer incentives. If the ships continue to sail full or close to full they will not reduce prices. Simple economics

If the global economy slows, people will be reluctant to splurge on vacation. So it could be a ripple effect. The Credit Suisse people are predicting another bubble.... things that make you go hmmmmmmmm....

There is no way of knowing whether there will be a price drop. Sometimes one category on a particular sailing will go down, while other categories will increase. Sometimes the lowest price is the early booking. As previous poster stated, supply and demand.

Here in Canada...

The cost of fuel is down. And the Cdn Dollar is down too.

Both were top stories tonight behind the Ebola situation.

Combine all 3, and add in Political Uncertainty / Tensions (Fighting) in several regions overseas, and this Fall has definitely had it's share of things that is building one upon the other.

As the Canadian CBC National News said tonight, individually they each haven't sparked a whole lot of fear in the average person... But combined they are beginning to take their toll on the world.

Short term / long term no one knows for sure.

Could certainly effect travel... And the cost of cruises. H1N1 and the fear of it... Definitely drove travel prices down in 2009 as people chose to stay home that year

Although not panicked by any means, I do have to admit I am keeping my eye on things a bit more closely... Especially so as "potential" Ebola exposure seems to be a growing concern in the USA every week (ie 2nd Texas Nurse now being treated... Who also happened to have recently been on an aircraft. Said no one told her while she was "self assessing" not to travel :eek: )

We have 2 cruises on the books right now... December & May. December is past final payment... But we have Comprehensive Travel Ins. May is still a long way off (that one is to Bermuda... Honestly that one is more of a concern, but that is because Hurricane Gonzalo is about to bear down on Bermuda. More than likely we would go anyhow... Cause we understand how important Tourism is when it comes to recovery / rebuilding after a Natural Disaster*)

* For the record just extrapolating here... I am certainly hoping & praying that Big Bad Gonzalo (Category 3) does not give Bermuda a rough ride

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I booked my up coming cruise over a year ago, the same room now is going for $ 550 more per person. It is less than 45 days out and it has gone UP not down. I seems that dates may be a factor but who knows.

Most fuel that large users such as cruise lines buy is bought on via the futures market with prices determined probably at the time the deployment schedule is released and prices first posted

Supply and demand might affect prices of near in trips if inventory remains unsold as a result of a new downturn

Unlikely cruise prices will go down much. Real killer is AIRFARE! I went on a Med cruise in June on the Reflection. Round trip LAX to Rome with one stop was $3300 using ChoiceAir.

I booked a Baltic cruise on Eclipse for next July.....but recently canceled it due to $3400 airfare. Instead I booked a New England/Canada cruise for next October. Air fare wayyyyy cheaper, I save about $2000.