Quantum Lifestyle is Revealed by Royal

More likely to be a Microsoft store as they announced tablets for the entire fleets crew at the "smart ship" launch.

I'm not sure what you mean about the entire fleet -- up until now, all the tablets provided onboard in the Suite cabins have been iPads. The crew, up until now, have all been issued iPads, as well. Are you saying everything is being changed over to Microsoft? That would be a huge expense at this point. :confused:

I'm not sure what you mean about the entire fleet -- up until now, all the tablets provided onboard in the Suite cabins have been iPads. The crew, up until now, have all been issued iPads, as well. Are you saying everything is being changed over to Microsoft? That would be a huge expense at this point. :confused:

Royal Caribbean International to provide 40,000 crew members with Windows 8.1 tablets

Royal Caribbean gives its crew members 40,000 Windows 8.1 tabletsPosted August 25, 2014 By Athima Chansanchai - Microsoft News Center Staff

In line with technology upgrades being made across the Royal Caribbean Cruises fleet, the company is giving all of its 40,000 shipboard crew members Windows 8.1 tablets.

“This technology isn’t only about giving our guests a better vacation – it’s about giving our crew and their families a closer connection than we’ve ever been able to,” says Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises.

These Windows tablets can help crew members keep in closer touch with family and friends by using Skype and sharing photos on OneDrive. They can also use Bing and Office 365 to get other tasks done.

The rollout will begin in October and is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The crew of Royal Caribbean’s newest ship, Quantum of the Seas, will be the first to receive the eight-inch Windows tablet built by HEXA for the cruise line. This technology-imbued vessel uses new RFID luggage tags and wristbands, which help track bags, orient vacationers onboard, make onboard purchases and unlock rooms. Guests can also watch robots mix their drinks. (Yes, robots.) And, they can play Xbox One on board using faster broadband connections to make the most of live video gaming.

Read more about Royal Caribbean’s technology on the Windows for Business blog, a Microsoft News Center press release and the Royal Caribbean press release.

Previously, Royal Caribbean deployed a Windows Embedded-powered solution that includes point-of-sale (POS) and inspection products.

Athima Chansanchai

Microsoft News Center Staff

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal Caribbean International to provide 40,000 crew members with Windows 8.1 tablets

Royal Caribbean gives its crew members 40,000 Windows 8.1 tabletsPosted August 25, 2014 By Athima Chansanchai - Microsoft News Center Staff

In line with technology upgrades being made across the Royal Caribbean Cruises fleet, the company is giving all of its 40,000 shipboard crew members Windows 8.1 tablets.

“This technology isn’t only about giving our guests a better vacation – it’s about giving our crew and their families a closer connection than we’ve ever been able to,” says Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises.

These Windows tablets can help crew members keep in closer touch with family and friends by using Skype and sharing photos on OneDrive. They can also use Bing and Office 365 to get other tasks done.

The rollout will begin in October and is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The crew of Royal Caribbean’s newest ship, Quantum of the Seas, will be the first to receive the eight-inch Windows tablet built by HEXA for the cruise line. This technology-imbued vessel uses new RFID luggage tags and wristbands, which help track bags, orient vacationers onboard, make onboard purchases and unlock rooms. Guests can also watch robots mix their drinks. (Yes, robots.) And, they can play Xbox One on board using faster broadband connections to make the most of live video gaming.

Read more about Royal Caribbean’s technology on the Windows for Business blog, a Microsoft News Center press release and the Royal Caribbean press release.

Previously, Royal Caribbean deployed a Windows Embedded-powered solution that includes point-of-sale (POS) and inspection products.

Athima Chansanchai

Microsoft News Center Staff

That's what I was about to say!

Microsoft tablets are cheaper than iPads are they?

Anyway, it's a nice deal that Royal is providing the crew tablets.

Either way, I'm sure Microsoft gave them an outstanding deal for the volume they're purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Nope I am a tech savey guy and love to go into the Apple Store or Microsoft store when at the mall. How can you say you're a high tech 21 century gizmo and gadget ship without an electronic store. It's like saying we sell hot dogs but no ketchup or mustard.

Then go to the mall, it's an RCL ship not an Apple or Microsoft ship...:rolleyes:

Then go to the mall, it's an RCL ship not an Apple or Microsoft ship...:rolleyes:

Then what's the point In royal Caribbean in the first place? Why go on a ship with a skydiving simulator or bumper cars when you can go to a theme park.