GPS necessary or will Scout/iPhone be fine?

silvercrikhix

We rented a GPS at all islands, cost $12 or $13/day. They were already preprogrammed with popular spots so we could just go to the menu and hit where we wanted to go. I think one time a restaurant we wanted wasn't listed and we entered the address. There were also preplanned routes you could choose if you wanted and the GPS guided you on that tour. We rented from Thrifty/Dollar and the GPS units were preprogrammed with music and narrative. The GPS picked up where we were and a narrator would talk about the area or area of interest or give more about an approaching tourist attraction, so I suppose a person could make a last minute decision to stop somewhere based on the chatter from the GPS. When we fly and stay in Hawaii we don't rent a GPS, but did find it useful for the day trips at each port. Also very handy was the GPS was preprogrammed with the rental location to return the car to.

Fantastic! Thanks for all your speedy replys!

So nice to check another item/question off of our Hawaii checklist.

The GPS sounds really helpful, however, we are mostly on motorcycles so the maps & I Phone App is preferred.

We'll ride 2 up so I can just navigate for DH from behind.

I enjoyed your review greatlakesgirl, thanks for sharing your experience!

The excitement is quickly ramping up now :D

Edited by silvercrikhix

You may want to consider "CoPilot" GPS Navigation, which is an App for IOS and Android for Hawaii or about any other place in the world. The maps are downloaded (when you are on wifi) to your phone so you do not need to have data availability to use it, or have any data charges. I have used it for a couple years and it works very well.

As I mentioned, the App works without requiring any data, and it still gives basic turn-by-turn verbal instructions. For more advanced verbal capabilities (actual street names spoken, for example, and real time traffic warnings) you can buy a one time, low-cost upgrade. Even with the extra features very little realtime data is needed. The program is available on Google's Playstore, and Apple's equivalent.

http://www.copilotlive.com/us/

So glad you enjoyed the review, I was happy to do it!

Enjoy your cruise! Hope you love Hawaii and the POA as much as we did! Maybe you'll come home and give us a little write-up of your experience? ;)

It was a great review & your daughters are just lovely!

I always mean to do a review, but as yet, have not so we'll see.

Life seems to get in the way!

You may want to consider "CoPilot" GPS Navigation, which is an App for IOS and Android for Hawaii or about any other place in the world. The maps are downloaded (when you are on wifi) to your phone so you do not need to have data availability to use it, or have any data charges. I have used it for a couple years and it works very well.

As I mentioned, the App works without requiring any data, and it still gives basic turn-by-turn verbal instructions. For more advanced verbal capabilities (actual street names spoken, for example, and real time traffic warnings) you can buy a one time, low-cost upgrade. Even with the extra features very little realtime data is needed. The program is available on Google's Playstore, and Apple's equivalent.

http://www.copilotlive.com/us/

Copilot sounds really, really good. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

I will definitely go check that out :D

It was a great review & your daughters are just lovely!

I always mean to do a review, but as yet, have not so we'll see.

Life seems to get in the way!

Aw, thank you!

I was selfishly hoping to relive the cruise through your eyes. :D I totally understand the life getting in the way thing!

While driving the islands is a GPS necessary or will Scout on my iPhone/iPad work fine?

Is service bad everywhere or just occasional so maps could fill in?

Thank you for any insight you could provide!

The islands are still pretty simple and easy to navigate. We are all getting spoiled tracking and seeing real time update, but in Hawaii you can really get around easily with the free tourist activity book maps.

An iPhone or other smartphone with good coverage is more than enough for realtime update if you have one with a good data / coverage.

The islands are still pretty simple and easy to navigate. We are all getting spoiled tracking and seeing real time update, but in Hawaii you can really get around easily with the free tourist activity book maps.

An iPhone or other smartphone with good coverage is more than enough for realtime update if you have one with a good data / coverage.

Good to know, thanks, chipmaster!