Can I really not upgrade my room without paying $3000???

jenf22

The OP is absolutely correct about how DCL handles booked reservations. As long you are only modifying a reservation (upgrade or downgrade) you remain in the rate tier originally booked. If you booked on opening day, that will almost always be lower than current rates.

If you are upgrading, are you not changing "rate tiers"

Are high end suites in the same "rate tier" as an oceanview?

Thanks everyone. Our suite was $4400 when we booked and is $6600 now. So the next level up, with the balcony, is around $7300. The pricing scheme just isn't what I'm used to. On DCL, I would be able to upgrade and pay the difference based on the prices when I booked. I think they let you do that because the cheaper rooms are easier to fill. Maybe that "perk" is why they are so much more expensive??? :p I guess I'll just keep watching. Seems like nothing is on sale right now...

That was never my experience with Disney. The price for paying the higher level suite was current rate MINUS initial booking rate. The date I booked did not give me a discounted price.

If you are upgrading, are you not changing "rate tiers"

Are high end suites in the same "rate tier" as an oceanview?

No, you are changing categories. If you are only modifying a reservation for the same date (not cancelling and rebooking), your booking remains in the original pricing tier. That's how it has worked for me with DCL and I've been cruising with them since 2000.

Edited by hencoll

That was never my experience with Disney. The price for paying the higher level suite was current rate MINUS initial booking rate. The date I booked did not give me a discounted price.

That's interesting because my last 9 DCL cruises have been in suites. A number of times I've waitlisted for a higher category suite that may not been available when I originally booked and the difference I had to pay was always less than the current rate.

Thanks everyone. Our suite was $4400 when we booked and is $6600 now. So the next level up, with the balcony, is around $7300. The pricing scheme just isn't what I'm used to. On DCL, I would be able to upgrade and pay the difference based on the prices when I booked. I think they let you do that because the cheaper rooms are easier to fill. Maybe that "perk" is why they are so much more expensive??? :p I guess I'll just keep watching. Seems like nothing is on sale right now...

You should definitely keep watching. You'll sometimes find the prices drop a lot right after final payment and that may be a good time for you to check for upgrades.