Carnival Screening for Ebola

winddawn

I know this is going to come across as extremely negative...but, seriously, do you think anyone who has just come back from an Ebola stricken area of Africa is going to go to the port with the intention of getting on the ship for a holiday....and then when they're actually asked if they've recently been to an Ebola stricken area of Africa, they're going to tell the truth so their holiday is cancelled ? I mean, it's good that Carnival are doing something, but I fear it's more of a legal thing, to clear Carnival of any future problems. And, as far as the temperature-taking thing, again, good that the airports and companies such as Carnival are doing something, but Ebola has an incubation period of up to 21 days. So, quite possibly, somebody could be exhibiting zero symptoms for days or weeks after being infected themselves. What the scariest thing about Ebola is and what the CDC are so afraid of is it mutating (don't forget, Ebola has already evolved into 5 strains, 4 of which infect humans) and becoming airborne. Then, we're in trouble. Big trouble.

Well if you actually had to show a passport, and people actually stamped them, you would know where some one went.

When we first started cruising, we did have to fill out medical questionnaires, and then one day we noticed we didn't.

To have someone take temperatures would mean actually hiring trained medical staff, and that would be a real problem, but showing a passport, is easy enough.

I just got my letter tonight and forwarded it to my cabin mate. Wonder what this will do for FTTF?

Edited by marshhawk

100% glad they are doing this. I know people can lie, but there is only so much Carnival can do. One good thing, with the need for passports on many cruises it will show where you traveled.

Actually we've been traveling with a passport for almost 10 years now and it has never been stamped (which is kinda disappointing cuz we'd love for it to be stamped).>

In addition to mandatory health form and those that may not be fully truthful, I would like to see for now the use of temperature scanning of foreheads like at the five US airports being done. Cannot be any slower as already in line for sign n' sail card. This would also potentially pick up other illness worth a second questioning like a flu.

That would be very time consuming It would take forever to board the ship.

Gary

They are doing this to make folks feel safer!

I doubt if they will actually find anyone who has ebola but since tons of people are worried this is to make them feel better about cruising.

It is certainly easier to spread the flu than to spread ebola but that doesn't get the same amount of news in the press.

Thank you to those of you who said you will make a post after going through the screening in the coming days so that the rest of us will know how it goes and whether it delays embarkation. That will help the rest of us plan accordingly.

I noticed in the news this morning that both the governors of New York and New Jersey are instituting a mandatory quarantine for people coming back to the states after caring for Ebola patients. Since 2 of the airports that can be used for those coming back to the states are in their states, that should help prevent spread of the disease. I can only imagine how expensive it is for governments to respond after a reported case considering how quickly the response becomes far-reaching as the infected people come in contact with others as they go about their lives.

That would be very time consuming It would take forever to board the ship.

Gary

Just how long does it take to point a digital device to the forehead and get an instant readout. It's not like those old fashioned 3 minute wait thing we used to go through.

As far as needing to hire trained people to do this, REALLY? If someone can point a device and be able to read a number, that's all that's needed.

Thank you to those of you who said you will make a post after going through the screening in the coming days so that the rest of us will know how it goes and whether it delays embarkation. That will help the rest of us plan accordingly.

I noticed in the news this morning that both the governors of New York and New Jersey are instituting a mandatory quarantine for people coming back to the states after caring for Ebola patients. Since 2 of the airports that can be used for those coming back to the states are in their states, that should help prevent spread of the disease. I can only imagine how expensive it is for governments to respond after a reported case considering how quickly the response becomes far-reaching as the infected people come in contact with others as they go about their lives.

I am following this mandatory quarantine. An earlier poster said the incubation period is 21 days. The incubation period is 21 days for 95% of the victims. 5% begin having symptoms after 21 days and up closer to 45 days- you can research it if you want to know exactly. This is because they had a very LOW level of exposure and it took longer to build in the body for symptoms to begin. There are folks out there that feel due to the high mortality rates quarantine periods should be extended to this 40 something days, I think it was 43, but don't quote me.

I think the governors are doing the right thing; wonder if the others will follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Considering the Carnival demographic, I wonder how many Carnival cruisers visit West Africa on a regular basis.

I know this is my first post, long time lurker and learning. Thanks for all your help. But could you explain to me what the"Carnival demographic" is?

Paul

In 2009, with the swine flu mess, they had a form you had to sign. Gave it to you at the first check in before you went thru security, and you had to turn in when you picked up your S&S. Did not cause any more delays than normal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am following this mandatory quarantine. An earlier poster said the incubation period is 21 days. The incubation period is 21 days for 95% of the victims. 5% begin having symptoms after 21 days and up closer to 45 days- you can research it if you want to know exactly. This is because they had a very LOW level of exposure and it took longer to build in the body for symptoms to begin. There are folks out there that feel due to the high mortality rates quarantine periods should be extended to this 40 something days, I think it was 43, but don't quote me.

I think the governors are doing the right thing; wonder if the others will follow suit.

I hope everything turns out well for you. Are you a health care worker?

I remember hearing in a news report where some people can come down with Ebola after the 21 day period.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2798389/is-21-days-isolation-new-study-suggests-ebola-patients-contagious-three-week-quarantine.html

Spot on information. Illinois is following NY and NJ, more quietly Connecticut was already doing it.

The nurse that was put in mandatory quarantine and secured a lawyer to sue that her civil rights were violated (and is now being allowed to go home to Maine) said her thermometer reading was WRONG upon arrival at the airport. She has no symptoms, but supposedly she DID have a fever upon arrival. I use an electronic thermometer with my kids. It has been known to show a false high before. I usually recheck with the old mercury thermometer; it never fails, but it takes a couple minutes.