Carnival Screening for Ebola

winddawn

Don't be surprised if you start being zapped with an infrared thermometer at check in. Slight fever and you don't board.

Better to be pro-active than re-active. Being re-active might just be too late to stop something from spreading. As long as my travel insurance or CCL covers my being stopped from boarding, I'll live with missing my cruise. (I might be very p.o.'d, but I'll live)

Don't be surprised if you start being zapped with an infrared thermometer at check in. Slight fever and you don't board.

Sounds like this might be part of what happens in the secondary screening if you answer yes on any of the paper screening questions.

Where did you get this information? Was it from a reliable source? How can a slight fever be diagnosed as Ebola when there are about a zillion non-Ebola things that can cause a slight fever?

Better to be pro-active than re-active. Being re-active might just be too late to stop something from spreading. As long as my travel insurance or CCL covers my being stopped from boarding, I'll live with missing my cruise. (I might be very p.o.'d, but I'll live)

Will travel insurance cover denied boarding? I doubt CCL will provide any refunds.

Got the Ebola form in Long Beach for the Miracle Hawaii cruise.

Similar to the Noro form. Now it includes symptoms for both.

Didn't get an email from Carnival but did get one from Princess.

Will travel insurance cover denied boarding? I doubt CCL will provide any refunds.

I really don't know, and don't want to be the one to try it out!:p However, if you have a fever, and are considered too "sick" to travel, travel insurance will cover that - if confirmed by a Dr. (had it happen to me w/noro) I would get an official document from CCL saying I had a fever and was denied boarding. I am sure that wouldn't be too hard to get. (then go to a "real" dr. for a second confirmation and letter.)

They're trying but one has to wonder how many people actually board ships when feeling ill.(forget ebola) they've had the cruise planned for nearly a year, air fare, hotel and the rest. I suspect as long as they don't vomit on the way in most people will lie and board. SO wash your hands frequently and especially on lido before eating.

How is this a good thing? Ask questions? If a person has, or was in contact with, or was in West Africa, and shows up at the dock, ready to board, does anyone really think, they will be truthful?

This is just for show, and does nothing to protect anyone.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of ways to contract various viruses that are far more common, than Ebola in the USA. I would be more concerned about that.

How is this a good thing? Ask questions? If a person has, or was in contact with, or was in West Africa, and shows up at the dock, ready to board, does anyone really think, they will be truthful?

This is just for show, and does nothing to protect anyone.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of ways to contract various viruses that are far more common, than Ebola in the USA. I would be more concerned about that.

It helps protect Carnival from potential lawsuits. :rolleyes:

I think anyone exposed to Ebola who develops any symptom would be more worried about having Ebola than going on a cruise.

I would rather be in the US than on a cruise ship in that case- more resources, better chance of recovery. Cruise ship medical staff do a great job but their resources are not as expansive as hospitals.

The motion of the ocean might not be very soothing to anyone with Ebola either.

Safe and healthy sails to all. Wash your hands and have fun.

Just got our letter and we don't leave for 66 days...guess they want to make sure we plan accordingly for the month prior to sailing.

If I was employed in an area where I may have an exposure I would have to request no ebola patients or body fluid samples, etc., for 21 days prior to sailing. This creates an interesting situation for doctors, nurses and lab folks that may be required to handle ebola patients and their fluids at a moment's notice and who are planning on cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We,too, got our letter today for a cruise mid January. I do think it is always good to be "precautionary"....but as others have said, not everyone is HONEST!! (but, truly, who would want to risk their own life being a cruise ship without high level medical treatment knowingly??)

We,too, got our letter today for a cruise mid January. I do think it is always good to be "precautionary"....but as others have said, not everyone is HONEST!! (but, truly, who would want to risk their own life being a cruise ship without high level medical treatment knowingly??)

Someone in denial. The doc that is now hospitalized believed he was well. He was wrong, but at least he was self-monitoring. What if he had been allowed to board a ship?

Someone in denial. The doc that is now hospitalized believed he was well. He was wrong, but at least he was self-monitoring. What if he had been allowed to board a ship?

If it were me I would have invoked the vacation guaranty and let Carnival fly me to the nearest hospital.

We just got the letter for enhanced medical questionairre yesterday. Still a lot of wiggle room for people not to tell the truth - but I really don't see any other way to screen anyone unless they take temps of everyone boarding! (and by then all the people in the terminal have been exposed!) Hopefully everyone will self-monitor and use common sense- for ebola, or any other viruses that are out there.

We just got the letter for enhanced medical questionairre yesterday. Still a lot of wiggle room for people not to tell the truth - but I really don't see any other way to screen anyone unless they take temps of everyone boarding! (and by then all the people in the terminal have been exposed!) Hopefully everyone will self-monitor and use common sense- for ebola, or any other viruses that are out there.

Facts:

1) Unless a person is symptomatic, showing signs of ebola sickness, they are not infectious.

2) When a person is showing signs of ebola symptoms, they can only transmit the virus through body fluids. The virus is not airborn.

3) More children have died from the enterovirus in the USA than ebola.

4) More people will die this year from the flu in the USA than ebola.

5) Doctors without Borders have been exposed to this virus for the last 40 years and have returned to this country from Africa without any other persons getting sick from ebola.

I doubt everyone in the terminal will want to swap body fluids with a sick person.

Carnival is sending this out to cover their butt.

Carnival is sending this out to cover their butt.

As they should. Teaching in an elementary school, I have more worries about coming down with lice, norovirus, pinkeye, strep, etc., than I have over coming down with Ebola!!:p:D

I boarded on Sunday on Sensation and filled out the form. It was a little longer, but What I recall is the wording about being honest seemed more tightly worded. I figured it was for Carnival's benefit to do so. Then as I stepped down the line, an attendant reviewed the form and used a colored highlighter to cover the squares you checked. I didn't ask why, my mind was more on other things.

Teaching in an elementary school, I have more worries about coming down with lice, norovirus, pinkeye, strep, etc., than I have over coming down with Ebola!!:p:D

My friends and I were discussing this just last night. Of the seven of us, one is going to hold off on all travel for a while. The other six have no worries at all, but one did ask what we'd do if someone sneezed in our cup of coffee. I replied that I wouldn't drink it because that's just gross, not because of Ebola.

I too work in a school, as a substitute teacher. I'm more concerned about catching the "bug of the week" than I am of contracting Ebola anywhere.

Oh, we received two emails. I'm guessing one is for our cruise next week and the other is for our February sailing.

Edited by stargate fan

My friends and I were discussing this just last night. Of the seven of us, one is going to hold off on all travel for a while. The other six have no worries at all, but one did ask what we'd do if someone sneezed in our cup of coffee. I replied that I wouldn't drink it because that's just gross, not because of Ebola.

I too work in a school, as a substitute teacher. I'm more concerned about catching the "bug of the week" than I am of contracting Ebola anywhere.

Oh, we received two emails. I'm guessing one is for our cruise next week and the other is for our February sailing.

While I agree we are much more likely to come down with a number of other viral infections and die from them this year, the reason we are not likely to contract ebola is because we have an amazing public health care system with researchers and volunteers that study this disease. By supporting the guidelines provided and being cautious during a time of unprecedented progression of the disease in Africa, we hopefully can continue to feel this secure about our risk.

It seems that the nurse that is fighting quarantine right now is a good example of why self declaration can't be effective. Even knowing that she might have already contracted Ebola while remaining asymptomatic, she is willing to risk the health of those around her to try to prove a point. Unfortunately there are people out there like that.