connection time at Dulles

pacmom

The flight change gremlin has eaten part of our time between flights. We are flying on United Zurich-Dulles-Dayton with one hour 25 minutes between flights. Anyone have any idea if this is doable. I did post on the flight board, but am hoping some one here might be able to help. We were supposed to fly Dayton-Dulles-Amsterdam, but now are flying out of Newark, so I can't even judge where everything is. Oh, those gremlins:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!Pat

I don't think this is enough time. I've flown into Dulles from Europe many times and the last time I transferred to a domestic flight, we barely made it and I think we had 2 hours between flights. You have to take a shuttle bus to customs - the line is usually quite long. Getting luggage can be slow and going through security to get to your domestic flight took a really long time. My last experience doing this was last October so perhaps security is faster - they only had 1 or 2 screening lines. But, I was just there last month and getting luggage was still really slow. I stayed in the Washington area a few days so I didn't have to transfer.

Maybe if you're flying business and get off the plane quickly, you might make it. I don't recall if there was a Fast Track line for business/first class at security. If you can change, I'd allow a minimum of two hours for a transfer.

I have been through Dulles multiple times and I would never attempt a connection back from Europe with less than 2 hours. You have to clear US customs & immigration, collect your luggage, recheck your luggage, then go back through security to get to your gate for your domestic flight. You can always check with United to see if the time they have given you is a legal connection. Even if it is a legal connection, I would personally try to get something rebooked for a longer connection.

Dulles is my 'home' airport. When I got back from Amsterdam in September there was no line at passport control but there was one at customs. With the walk from the plane to the people mover to exit took around 45 minutes. Remember, I had no line for passport control. I recommend at least 2 hours.

After turning the in the luggage so it can go to the next flight you still have to take moving walkways and train to the next terminal.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Webfoot

Is one required to go through TSA screening after clearing ICE when connecting to another flight?

TIA

Yes. That's the standard at all US airports when arriving international and departing on another flight - immigration, then baggage claim (if needed) & customs, recheck bags (as needed) then TSA and then on to departing flights.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Came through Dulles on Oct 7. My DH said he would never go through immigration and customs there again. You must take a people mover which is basically a bus from your international flight to immigration. We waited 40 minutes to go through immigration. They are reducing agents at Dulles plus not all stations are staffed...really sad for the nation's capital. It took us almost 2 hours from the plane to our car. We had the same problem last time we went through immigration at Dulles. Avoid Dulles or give yourself a lot of time! We have entered the US through 15 different airports and Dulles is next to last in our opinion...Logan is the worst!

If there is not a later flight I would just plan to book an airport hotel and fly home to Dayton the next morning!! My last transit through IAD was two hours just to get through customs and immigration-not counting the 45 minutes on the shuttle. Even if you are first off the plane the shuttle doesn't move until it is full-very full!!

Sent from my YP-G70 using Forums mobile app