Just found out I'm pregnant. Should I tell Carnival?

I don't have a problem telling Carnival. If you would have read my previous comments, you would know I'm not trying to "buck" the system. I can't see my doctor until the week of November 17th. I sail on December 1st. If he can't see me on Nov. 17th, I wouldn't meet the 14 days deadline. Also, I was planning to wait until Christmas to announce my pregnancy to my family. My family will be with me on the cruise, so if I let Carnival know, it will get out during the cruise.

Also, I have had a miscarriage in the past. What if I tell Carnival that I am pregnant, then I miscarry before the trip? I wouldn't be allowed to order a drink on the cruise since Carnival thinks I am pregnant.

Carnival isn't go to tell anyone anything. They don't put a sign on your forehead or flag your Sail and Sign. You answer the questions on the boarding documents and submit your paper work. No crew will monitor your tobacco use, purchase or your alcohol consumption. The other post was not true.

Carnival isn't go to tell anyone anything. They don't put a sign on your forehead or flag your Sail and Sign. You answer the questions on the boarding documents and submit your paper work. No crew will monitor your tobacco use, purchase or your alcohol consumption. The other post was not true.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't drink anything if I am pregnant. Someone stated that crew onboard congratulated them. I can't remember who said that.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't drink anything if I am pregnant. Someone stated that crew onboard congratulated them. I can't remember who said that.

IF the crew said something, it was not because of a special notation on their sail and sign but I doubt that it even happened.

I can't imagine under what authority Carnival could deny sales of alcohol or tobacco to pregnant women. If that were true there would have been an uproar years ago. I'm sure consumption is not a good idea but am unaware of it being illegal anywhere in the US. I'm just uninformed on this topic? :o

The answer to your question is in the Carnival policy as well as the post that you responded to. It has to do with the ability to care for an infant at all.

Carnival Ticket Contract

Guest understands and acknowledges that in addition to the limitations on medical care described in Clause 2 (a), prenatal and early infant care, in particular, may require specialized diagnostic facilities and/or treatment that are not obtainable during the cruise on board the ship and/or ashore in ports of call. Therefore, the Guest agrees not to book a cruise or board the ship if at any time during the cruise she will enter the 24th week of estimated gestational age, nor for or with infants less than six months old--for trans-ocean crossings, South America and Hawaii the infant must be at least twelve months of age at the time of embarkation to sail.

It is about liability alone. If you got on a ship with Cancer and got ill, you would either say "I didn't know I had Cancer" (Carnival is not liable because they were unaware of your condition), "I didn't think I had to notify you" (Carnival is not liable because they were unaware of your condition), or you would have told them in advance. At the time you notify them, they would put you through a series of questions and correspondence to determine if they could treat you if you were to become ill. After that point, if you sail, they are accepting liability, but they are doing so knowing exactly what your condition is. Or more likely you too would have something given to you that says "Your on your own, we are not liable". Go read the dialysis policy.

Are you implying that cancer patients are under a contractual obligation to notify Carnival of their condition? And to submit to a "series of questions and correspondence" from Carnival?

Edited by travler27

It is still very early. I just took a test today. I know anything can still happen. I would be almost 9 weeks when we sail. Should I tell Carnival?

It might be wise to tell the cruise line only because if they are not equipped to manage complications of pregnancy and you did not tell them of your pregnancy you can have no expectations that they would be able to care for you if complications occur. For instance, most miscarriages occur early in pregnancy, usually in the first 10 weeks. The earlier that a miscarriage occurs the less likely it is that a D&C is going to be required following it to eradicate retained membranes. Most family physicians would not be able to perform a D&C if this complication occurred. Carnival does not have an OBGYN on board unless one of the passengers on their vacation is one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

Are you implying that cancer patients are under a contractual obligation to notify Carnival of their condition? And to submit to a "series of questions and correspondence" from Carnival?

No.

The contract says that you are "requested" to notify special services of any special medical, physical, or other needs.

I am stating that if you chose not to notify them as requested (which is your right), you are removing Carnival from liability.

I am inferring if you chose to notify them, there would be correspondence either a.) asking the nature of any special medical needs you might have during the cruise, or asking if there were any treatments you would be taking. AND/OR B.) Correspondence telling you in very certain language, that you were solely responsible for arranging any special treatments. They would also likely restate their policy for storing medicine, and let you know what services they could offer.

It was not my intention to make it sound like I thought you would be sent a questionnaire. More likely just a reiteration of what is on the special needs section of the website.

I would not be surprised if they asked you to sign something acknowledging your understanding of the treatment limitations, but it is really covered in the ticket contract, so maybe not

These policies are not about denying boarding, forcing you to tell them personal information, or even making you answer questions. It is simply limiting liability.

Don't tell them, and they are not liable. Tell them, and they will make sure you understand and acknowledge they are not liable. That is my only point. Anything else you infer, was simply due to something poorly stated on my part.

Edited by Domino D

It is just odd to me that they single out pregnancy. There are plenty of medical conditions that one would be ill advised to board a ship with, but pregnancy is the only one that I know of where they dictate whether you can cruise with. Do they ban hemophilia? Cance?.

While there are some other medical specialties who are sued more OFTEN than OB/GYNs there are none with a greater numbers of awards and settlements exceeding $1,000,000 than obstetrics, which is why "they single out pregnancy" and is also why the professional liability insurance for ob-gyns is so extremely high.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I don't have a problem telling Carnival. If you would have read my previous comments, you would know I'm not trying to "buck" the system. I can't see my doctor until the week of November 17th. I sail on December 1st. If he can't see me on Nov. 17th, I wouldn't meet the 14 days deadline. Also, I was planning to wait until Christmas to announce my pregnancy to my family. My family will be with me on the cruise, so if I let Carnival know, it will get out during the cruise.

Also, I have had a miscarriage in the past. What if I tell Carnival that I am pregnant, then I miscarry before the trip? I wouldn't be allowed to order a drink on the cruise since Carnival thinks I am pregnant.

Your concerns are unfounded, they aren't going to announce it to the world and hang a banner in your room.

My wife was noticeably pregnant. Every time we went to a show, or around the pool they offered her drinks. She just declined them.

I just think it is the responsible thing to do. I'm not sure if you are planning on announcing it to everyone, IE husband until Christmas, but if not, what would happen if something happened to you. Passed out, ect ect, and no one knew, the ship didn't know, and they would have no record of you being pregnant?

It's your decision and your life. Do what you think is right.

Edited by aaron3219

I really think the decision is a difficult one. If early on in your pregnancy there really isn't any reason for Carnival to know you are pregnant. However, what if something happened to you? What if you (sorry, God forbid) but you miss-carried while on the ship and you needed medical attention? I mean Carnival would of course still help you. But, there's only so much they can do to help you on the ship.

I would possibly not tell them but I would make absolute sure I had travel insurance if something came up.

If it were me? I wouldn't tell Carnival. I don't think they need to know unless you are past the point of gestation that they require you to tell them. As long as you travel with insurance for the just in case.

Have you told your doctor? If so I would maybe talk to the doctor to make sure he/she is comfortable with you traveling and doesn't think you are high risk. Otherwise I think you are totally fine and wouldn't say a word!

• 2 weeks later...
Your concerns are unfounded, they aren't going to announce it to the world and hang a banner in your room.

My wife was noticeably pregnant. Every time we went to a show, or around the pool they offered her drinks. She just declined them.

I just think it is the responsible thing to do. I'm not sure if you are planning on announcing it to everyone, IE husband until Christmas, but if not, what would happen if something happened to you. Passed out, ect ect, and no one knew, the ship didn't know, and they would have no record of you being pregnant?

It's your decision and your life. Do what you think is right.

I don't understand how my concerns are unfounded! Why should I be forced to tell my MIL if I'm wanting to surprise her at Christmas? She is in the room with me on the ship so when we check-in they probably will ask if I am pregnant. I am going to tell Carnival after I see my doctor on Monday but I feel like I should be allowed to tell my family when I want to. I do understand the risks & I'm not trying to hide anything from Carnival.

Yes a lot can happen in the first 3 months. So she lies on the online check-in for and says she is not pregnant. Then she gets on board and has a miscarriage and needs medical attention. That is going to set off a whole new boatload of issues.

She can have a miscarriage even if she told Carnival and had a form from her doctor saying she was healthy for travel.

Not that you will.... Congrats, lady! Enjoy your vacation. I personally wouldn't be telling them. It's none of their business.

My wife went on two cruises while pregnant - told them, no issues.

Then carnival lowered the "pregnancy limit to 24 weeks" from 27 mid 2008 after we (and a large) group had already booked and paid for a cruise. They offered to refund her fare; but, then turned around and nailed me for being a single in a double. If we both canceled, I'd lose MY fare. Kind of sucked. Since we had some family going with us and some staying behind, she insisted we go separate ways - I went and she stayed with some family that was not sailing.

And before I catch any @#$%^ about cruising without her - We are leaving for a cruise on Saturday that hits quite a few of the ports she missed. :D

As for why the 24 weeks - go look at the news around early to mid 2008. The ships are simply not capable of providing the support for either a miscarriage, hemorrhage, or premature birth.

I life lesson: Many (not all) rules exist mostly because someone did something that necessitated the rule in the first place!

Anyway, as for the OP - as others mentioned bring the form with you to your initial check-up. It never hurts to have the paper regardless of what you finally decide to do in regards to telling carnival this early in the pregnancy. But, most importantly, relax - this is a vacation!