Millennium Amazing Asian Adventure 2014

need2bespoiled

From there we were off to Indochina Junk’s beach where we were able to kayak, swim and explore their cave. We headed out just after dark, a bit past 5pm. Dinner was served in route to our evening anchorage at about 7:15pm. Meals were spectacular both in presentation and taste. While we have found the food on Millennium to be better than most cruises we have taken, even in the MDR, it has not rivaled the local cuisine for freshness and taste, but how could it?

pictures of the MDR food, sorr02975c6dbf290f39e799db15f2930593.jpg

7b8c64814a76d049db300fb84121fdc6.jpg

5f269131ef6eadaa88da1e77e5571948.jpg5e555d34eb38c89e1975eaeafcaab0b2.jpg

We awoke to watch the sun rise and have breakfast at 7:30a before heading off back to port. On the way back, before arriving in port we were served yet another meal, brunch!

After some goodbyes we headed back to town and to tender out to Millennium at about 11am.

Millennium was due to set sail at 1pm but we watched from the Heliport (with about 300 other people) as the last tenders were brought back onboard.

This evening we found out that in addition to the added dishes in Bistro on 5, there is an Asian appetizer and Asian main course in the MDR each night. These have been items like green curry chicken and coconut rice and have been quite good! I have not taken many pics on Millennium of food or menus. Happy sailing!

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friday was Chan May / Da Nang and we had another private tour that started off a bit rocky looking for our driver and again needing to call the agent. After a couple of calls I decided to walk out of the port and take a look. After about 1/3 of a mile I saw addition tour van and signs looking for passengers. It turns out only Celebrity buses and those tour guides who paid corruption money were allowed into the port. After a few words with our guide “Lucky” the van met Toni, Rob, Dee and me who had started to walk out about half way. They were also able to drop us off back at the ship. I will say a large majority of passengers used Celebrity Excursions in this port. There were more than 30 busses worth and many excursions had 4 buses or more!

There is quite a ride over bumpy roads and through a 7 km tunnel from the port through Da Nang to our final destination of Hoi An. When we arrived in Hoi An we transferred from our van to bicycles for a ride through the country side. After about 3 or 4 km Toni fell on a slick spot and decided no more biking for her but we were almost to our next destination and a boat ride in a round bamboo boat by locals who spoke no English. We headed back to our van from there, but I continued to ride through the country side, rice paddies, shrimp farms by a cemetery, through town and off to a large vegetable garden / farm and visit a house where they make rice paper. This is where we ate lunch in a local restaurant with vegetable picked right from those gardens that morning. The basil, mint, mustard greens, lettuce were so vibrant and fresh I wish I could share how amazing this meal was. We were also served our first dish that was not a complete winner, while not bad, the main dish of Barracuda was not a favorite. The meat has a firm consistency, almost of pork. After lunch he started our journey back, stopping along the way to visit a marble “shop” where they made statues. We just might have made a purchase that we’re hoping will be shipped home, eventually. Thankfully we’ll be protected by our credit card! Incidentally, most transactions were able to be done in US dollars though we did have some local currency. It was 50,000 Vietnamese Baht for two cokes at lunch, or just under $2.50.

From there we headed back to port, which took about 45 minutes and arrived back at about 5pm. We were a bit dirty from the biking so we headed to get ready to see the Shaolin Monks perform in the main theater before dinner. The monks have been onboard the entire sailing doing a number of different presentations including morning breathing exercises, but while we have heard they have been well attended we have not been to one. There are also a number of different enrichment speakers providing information on local history. While not normally our thing, we did attended one which was very interesting.

1c340984384dab169ff32cb9f626761c.jpg

b0f60c764b43e104d5fcbd7850c456f0.jpg

9b740da73bfe07936ed91fda7c098878.jpgf12b94ee6c6c49d9284511d78e492ea1.jpg

de1d3264ce106533aab2bd2fe0ee5a1c.jpg

852dde7ea214772687793b030fa270bd.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Today, Saturday was a lazy sea day. We sat by the pool, which incidentally has the normal chair hog program going on. After lunch we headed to the spa for our messages. So far we feel the new spa, Canyon Ranch has been pretty mixed in terms of service. We’d like to receive service treatments on par with the top dollar they cost. While my massage was very, very good, the check-in process, waiting for check-in, etc was not very spa like at all, more frustrating than anything.

Tonight is the second of 3 formal nights on this cruise. Tomorrow is Ho Chi Minh where we’re joining 6 others for a group tour. I’ll probably be able to get caught up again after another sea day when we’re in Bangkok overnight on Wednesday.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

crews change all the time. Most sign up for 6 months then three months off.... as for the Captain and other officers their runs are shorter as to not burn out I was told. This captain took extra weeks on a shift change because his wife is/was due to have a baby and wanted the extra time.

So the crew changes have nothing to do with anything outside of normal shift changes

Don't read into to it anymore than that

Uncle Fester sailing from Las Vegas

Married on Monarch of the Sea 07-07-07

Celebrity

Princess

RC

Carnival

NCL

crews change all the time. Most sign up for 6 months then three months off.... as for the Captain and other officers their runs are shorter as to not burn out I was told. This captain took extra weeks on a shift change because his wife is/was due to have a baby and wanted the extra time.

So the crew changes have nothing to do with anything outside of normal shift changes

Don't read into to it anymore than that

Uncle Fester sailing from Las Vegas

Married on Monarch of the Sea 07-07-07

Celebrity

Princess

RC

Carnival

NCL

It's good to see that Celebrity offers flexibility to their staff. By 'this captain", do you mean the one is currently at the helm or Captain Kostas Nestoroudis who just left?

Any of the new staff, such as the captain aren't new to Celebrity, just new to, or back on Millennium.

I'll try to post a who's onboard.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks. If you could post the current staff, that would be super.

Jenna,

Thank you for sharing your interesting experiences! We'll be on the Millie December 7, 2014. We're from Florida and I think the weather in Southeast Asia is similar to our summers, hot and humid. What is appropriate clothing for touring? My husband and I would appreciate your suggestions for our 14 day Southeast Asian cruise.

Thank you,

Joanne

I can't remember answering this question, maybe I did. In Hong Kong it was in the mid to high 60s in the evening and 70s during the day and we barely saw the sun. Spring clothes, jackets, bring a fleece/wind breaker. I've seen capris, jeans, shorts though almost everyone has shoulders covered, no tank tops and the locals are in long sleeves, jackets and sweaters. Be prepared to layer lightly. It got HOT in Vietnam, obviously dress for it, though many locals cover up all exposed skin (for beauty reasons).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

In Saigon / Ho Chi Min city we did a private tour with our friends and 6 other cruise critic members. We met at Cafe Al Bacio at 745a and left the ship together. This was another port where only tour guides who pay corruption money get into the port so we had a bit of a walk out to the port gate. From there it's about 75 min to Ho Chi Min. Our guide, Loc was excellent. In addition to seeing some of the normal sites like a Temple, Vietnam War Museum, Presidential Palace (outside), Post office, Catholic Church and market he walked us through the neighborhood he grew up in, back alleys and all, all while providing us unique insight and tidbits of great info. We bought waffles on the street, fruit in the local market, and he took us to the top of the CIA building where the last helicopter took off evacuating Americans before the VC came into Saigon. It was HOT at 90 degrees and HUMID. Motorbike wiz by every which way, traffic lights often seem optional when non existent and again, lunch at a local restaurant was fresh and wonderful.

Today on deck it is HOT and sunny and will likely hit 90 degrees. Lots of enrichment lectures, an afternoon matinee performance and activities around the ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

724a76f03cff2a634e560af82abd0047.jpg

64d576c677197f69d9e89484e2e8ef5e.jpg

9baaa3bfa4db289f6ad3c71c8d491af1.jpg

035922b7f147baf1cbc9f3ad3ec976b1.jpg

bb0c2f0cf45ec0bc3deab8149883561e.jpg

3917fbf36e0ebca2b7035b6a7143532b.jpg

I couldn't resist posting this picture from the ladies "happy room" at the temple. There were also western facilities it bring your own tissue (thankfully we knew and had). 39ff002019e2fb2d21fcc459ad954840.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna

That's a nice one - it has a flush. I've seen others which have a bucket and a tap.......diy flush:D

That one compares very favourably with some we saw on our recent trip to China. We very quickly learned that if the guide suggested we use the facilities it was wise to do so. They knew where the better ones were located.

I don't think it is a case of bribery or corruption re private guides having to pay to pick up at the ship in Vietnam. We have been on two cruises to Vietnam (which we love) and our guide told us that it was to do with port security as well as limiting the congestion inside the port area. For our guide to pick us up at the ship (I coordinated the tours for our CC group) I had to provide him with all our passport numbers and there was a $15 pp chg. After experiencing the distances from the ship to the port gates where all the other private vans and drivers were waiting, we were all very glad our guide made the arrangements to pick us up and especially deliver us back right to the side of the ship at the end of a long day in port.

We found that the tissues for the "happy room" were found out in the main bathroom area a lot of time but not in the cubicle. Took us a while to figure that out lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Christine Frances

What's the entertainment like on board?

Some entertainment is great, such as the headliner matinees, lots of live entertainment, Shaolin monks, some is not our thing like the typical productions shows and some of the headliners.

That $15 / person we were told was $10/person and what two guides told us was corruption money, not an official fee. You can negotiate it of course with your guide. They can also negotiate it with the guards.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I am enjoying your posts. We are on the Millennium beginning 12/7 from Singapore to HK. Can you please tell me where the cruise terminal is located in HK? Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip!

I am enjoying your posts. We are on the Millennium beginning 12/7 from Singapore to HK. Can you please tell me where the cruise terminal is located in HK? Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Hi! I'm on that sailing too and we have met on the roll call thread:) I have also been checking out Jenna's post here daily as this is the exact same itinerary that we will be doing in a few weeks (only in reverse order). Lots of useful information and great pictures here.

As for HK cruise terminal I am pretty sure it is the Kai Tak cruise terminal which is unfortunately a bit more out of way than the Ocean Cruise Terminal. Found the cruise schedule on their website: http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

Location/getting to Kai Tak cruise terminal: http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/location/

Edited by tinywingz

Some entertainment is great, such as the headliner matinees, lots of live entertainment, Shaolin monks, some is not our thing like the typical productions shows and some of the headliners.

That $15 / person we were told was $10/person and what two guides told us was corruption money, not an official fee. You can negotiate it of course with your guide. They can also negotiate it with the guards.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks...see you next week.

Hi! I'm on that sailing too and we have met on the roll call thread:) I have also been checking out Jenna's post here daily as this is the exact same itinerary that we will be doing in a few weeks (only in reverse order). Lots of useful information and great pictures here.

As for HK cruise terminal I am pretty sure it is the Kai Tak cruise terminal which is unfortunately a bit more out of way than the Ocean Cruise Terminal. Found the cruise schedule on their website: http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

Location/getting to Kai Tak cruise terminal: http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/location/

This is correct. It's the old airport, Kai Tak. There is some shopping there, like EVERYWHERE in Hong Kong, but we didn't visit it.

A few things to note:

There are free shuttles that run until 10pm to Diamond Hill and Kowloon Bay (Metro locations, with of course, more shopping), but from these locations / malls you can visit a grocery store, buy supplies or get anywhere in the city or to the airport pretty easily, providing you don't have too many bags.

The walk from drop off to the ship is a windy twisty walk up escalators, down hallways, through security, back down a hallway, down an escalator, and then a windy weavy path through a "ship bridge". Think jet bridge, but with 6 back and forths you can't avoid, UGH! The escalators broke more than once, double ugh. On the plus side, there is wifi in the terminal. Not available even on the ship looking at the terminal.

Wifi onboard has been slow at times, and faster other times, but never "fast".

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Maybe your guide did not want to go to all the trouble of collecting the passport info etc and that was his reasoning. It was a pain for me as well as I led three tours in Saigon, an overnight in Hanoi and a 35 pax bus shuttle to Hoi An and all passport info had to be sent to our guide before hand so he could enter the port with his vans and bus to pick us up at the ship.

Where You're Docked http://cruiseportwiki.com/PhuMy

Phu My is a commercial port with nothing nearby. Cruise ships dock at container terminal piers at the port. A shuttle may be provided to the small town of Ba Ria approx 10 miles to the southeast where you can take a taxi to the beach resort city of Vung Tau. The best way to get to Ho Chi Minh City is either with the ship's or a private tour. Taxis may wait outside the port gates.

Please do NOT take the hydrofoil/fast ferry to Saigon since it is old and unreliable.

Be advised that the Vietnam tour guides require your passport details in advance to arrange port passes.

The permit to pick tourists up at the port is compulsory to the company if tourists want to be safe and legal. Expecting to pay 25-30 USD/person for port fees. If not, you need to walk outside of the port.

Maybe your guide did not want to go to all the trouble of collecting the passport info etc and that was his reasoning. It was a pain for me as well as I led three tours in Saigon, an overnight in Hanoi and a 35 pax bus shuttle to Hoi An and all passport info had to be sent to our guide before hand so he could enter the port with his vans and bus to pick us up at the ship.

Where You're Docked http://cruiseportwiki.com/PhuMy

Phu My is a commercial port with nothing nearby. Cruise ships dock at container terminal piers at the port. A shuttle may be provided to the small town of Ba Ria approx 10 miles to the southeast where you can take a taxi to the beach resort city of Vung Tau. The best way to get to Ho Chi Minh City is either with the ship's or a private tour. Taxis may wait outside the port gates.

Please do NOT take the hydrofoil/fast ferry to Saigon since it is old and unreliable.

Be advised that the Vietnam tour guides require your passport details in advance to arrange port passes.

The permit to pick tourists up at the port is compulsory to the company if tourists want to be safe and legal. Expecting to pay 25-30 USD/person for port fees. If not, you need to walk outside of the port.

Having just been there, this week, the above is not completely true, or you were over charged. Our guides negotiated pick-ups on the spot with the guards at the gate. Two different private guides called the payments corruption pay offs and quoted $10-$20 per person for arranging it in advance. I guess your mileage will vary.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna...That info is very helpful for my planning in HK.

Tinywingz...Yes, I was on the roll call for our cruise. Can't wait to board the ship!

Me too! And in the meanwhile I will just have to make myself happy reading all the wonderful updates and information from Jenna