Millennium Amazing Asian Adventure 2014

need2bespoiled

Sea days for us are pretty boring. Pool for a bit for me, none for Dee as she was still a little too red from the last one, then reading in Michael’s Club with a cold drink, more reading. I went to the matinee show which was a “Mentalist” and pretty good I thought. Dinner in Olympic (Murano). Blah blah, boring, chair hogs at the pool, etc, etc.

Today was Bangkok day number 1. Sunrise was BEAUTIFUL. I'm not sure why I always wake up about an hour before we are in port.

1234555_10152844337861092_2470716788212485938_n.jpg?oh=4aaf78832e711ad98be0090fdc276586&oe=54D6559E&__gda__=1423131598_0d1aec154238453a27d378b41c20e2a3

We were off the ship by about 8:30 and out of the port with our guide in the van (just the 4 of us today) before most of the busses. Traffic was heavy in construction and an accident. We headed right to our hotel to check-in. Dee wanted to stay at the JW Marriott as I stay in Marriotts often, but this hotel while on the way off the highway, otherwise is not in a great location. We were there by 10:45. Traffic in the city is CRAZY busy.

20 minutes later, we were off to the Golden Palace. WOW, it was amazimg and worth seeing, but be prepared. I have NEVER seen a tourist attraction so crowded. Our guide said 2 hours would be pretty fast. We were out in an hour as it was HOT, with not enough shade. Bring an umbrella (for sun not rain). It is STUNNING, but how much gold leave can you see? I guess it wasn't that amazing to us :( after an hour.

10641150_10152845045701092_9031982117527509159_n.jpg?oh=350d1a29fdd9a436a8773bf685408fdd&oe=551B1D54&__gda__=1423253553_02da83ad72fad6eb8ded63df7ba2f162

10734047_10152845046971092_8523045213470127238_n.jpg?oh=2d7f5171d1559f8699d683564145a4d4&oe=54D53A69&__gda__=1427321810_dd4433ff71f5dd8b970e8d11d4b07bab

16811_10152845047221092_1742020293404139491_n.jpg?oh=fa99c007803da1b803c66efdffb44f27&oe=551D5302

10407358_10152845047356092_1873564638381269747_n.jpg?oh=5699a2469882d2c38b2e88855006942e&oe=54E5A0DA&__gda__=1424047564_23781bbf3dd1021df365c8647f54d81e

From there we went to a local restaurant for lunch. A lot more YUM, but not the freshness of Vietnam.

We were then off to a boat to cruise the river, visit the Royal Barge (mildly interesting, not easy to get in and out of the smaller boats), and tour the canals of “old” Bangkok.

images below

It was now close to 4pm. We then opted for a quick (20 minutes?) walk through the markets of China town, we were getting tired, lots of walking, heat and travel.

images below

We headed off towards our dinner location but had about an hour to spare. We would have loved to head back to the hotel but traffic would have prevented it, so we took in a foot fish bath (15 min) and foot / leg message (30 min) for less than $20. Then off to dinner and a cabaret “Lady Boy Show” which is kind of like a cross between a drag show in P-town and a Vegas showgirls show. They lip sinking wasn't the best, and coregraphy was off if you want to be technical, but it was still fun. Straight back to the hotel as it was after 10pm and everyone crashed but me who had to get caught up on work with real internet. They joys of self employment.

Happy sailing!

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Me too! And in the meanwhile I will just have to make myself happy reading all the wonderful updates and information from Jenna

Thanks! I wonder if I am posting too much, or too many pictures, or whatever, but I guess if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to read / look :D

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Having just been there, this week, the above is not completely true, or you were over charged. Our guides negotiated pick-ups on the spot with the guards at the gate. Two different private guides called the payments corruption pay offs and quoted $10-$20 per person for arranging it in advance. I guess your mileage will vary.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You could both be right. In many such places 'fee' and 'bribe' could very well refer to the same thing depending on how you put it. Many times there may well be a law/rule prescribing a fee in certain amount x but you can try to work your ways around by paying the right people $ less than x and everyone gains a little (except for the government).

On my last cruise they were showing the movie 'Million Dollar Arm' on Movies under the Stars, when I walked by, the main character, an American in India, was asking his local Indian correspondent about how to get things done in India, and the conversation went like this:

'Okay, so, what do we have to do to get our stuff?

- Uh, we have to pay money.

Pay money. Like a bribe?

- No, no, no. Not a... Not a bribe.

I mean, why use such words?

We call it "bypassing the system."

The systems in India are very slow,

so we bypass them.

By paying money.

- That's the Indian way. Indians love honking and bypassing the system.'

;););)

You could both be right. In many such places 'fee' and 'bribe' could very well refer to the same thing depending on how you put it. Many times there may well be a law/rule prescribing a fee in certain amount x but you can try to work your ways around by paying the right people $ less than x and everyone gains a little (except for the government).

On my last cruise they were showing the movie 'Million Dollar Arm' on Movies under the Stars, when I walked by, the main character, an American in India, was asking his local Indian correspondent about how to get things done in India, and the conversation went like this:

'Okay, so, what do we have to do to get our stuff?

- Uh, we have to pay money.

Pay money. Like a bribe?

- No, no, no. Not a... Not a bribe.

I mean, why use such words?

We call it "bypassing the system."

The systems in India are very slow,

so we bypass them.

By paying money.

- That's the Indian way. Indians love honking and bypassing the system.'

;););)

Bingo, sounds like we have a winner. Enjoyed the movie, and the comment seems just about spot on.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

So the guides at the gate weren't paying a "corruption" fee, they were actually bribing the guards to overlook the legal requirements of passport info etc. Our charge for the "legal" route was $15 pp with a CC highly regarded guide that does a huge amount of business with cruise pax and I don't think he would chance being caught and losing port privileges. And I don't think I would use a guide that bribed officials, especially in Asia.

Sorry I don't mean to seem argumentative:( although I am probably coming across that way lol I am very much enjoying your review and I am reliving our 28 days on the Millie that we had in Jan/Feb of this year through your eyes:)

Edited by Christine Frances

So the guides at the gate weren't paying a "corruption" fee, they were actually bribing the guards to overlook the legal requirements of passport info etc. Our charge for the "legal" route was $15 pp with a CC highly regarded guide that does a huge amount of business with cruise pax and I don't think he would chance being caught and losing port privileges. And I don't think I would use a guide that bribed officials, especially in Asia.

Our guides were all highly reviewed, licences guides who were concerned about port privileges. Don't you think it odd they (they guides AND our agents) told us $10 and charged you $15? Show me where you find it printed the port fee in these ports is $15? I'm not going to argue about it, but if every passenger on an excursion isn't paying it, and certainly they way Celebrity excursions were priced, they weren't, is it really a port fee?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

OP - thank you for posting this "real-time" review, very enjoyable. Can you confirm that most passengers are dressing up for formal nights? We will be lugging an extra suitcase just for these occasions and I want to make sure the effort will be worth it. thanks!

OP - thank you for posting this "real-time" review, very enjoyable. Can you confirm that most passengers are dressing up for formal nights? We will be lugging an extra suitcase just for these occasions and I want to make sure the effort will be worth it. thanks!

Just wanted to answer you, but I have an update coming for Bangkok Day 2! very slow internet onboard, slower than normal for sure, due to ship location and sharing of bandwidth with another ship :(

I'd say I am seeing more tuxes and dresses than normal, on say a Caribbean cruise, but there is still definitely a mix including everything you'd imagine to see at a formal optional wedding. We are at set dining time, and generally enjoy dressing up, as have our table mates, so we haven't had issues, no idea if others have.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You definitely are not posting too much! Keep going! I have a question about the weather. I've been monitoring it for all our destinations and it looks very rainy. Is it constant steady rain or intermitent showers? I guess I'm wondering how wet I should plan to get and whether to wear sandals or sneakers. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Hi jenna,

Great review! Just a little question.we will be onboard celebrity millennium from november 23th till november 8th. At the moment we are at the airport in germany and just recieve in maol in which it is said that actually many passengers are ill (i think noro virus) and that there will be a huge cleaning on the whole ship. So we should come later for check in....do you have any Information about that? Do you acutally have code red ?? (Which means no self service in the buffett restaurant ..no self service at drink stations..no sugar oder salt on the tables..no drink.menue.....)

Thank you so much for an answer!

Annika

Not again[emoji107] We were on Millenium earlier this year and were were code red for the whole cruise as were around 4-5 of the cruises before/after ours. We weren't able to board til 5pm and there was no self service for the entire cruise. We still had a great cruise [emoji1]

Not again[emoji107] We were on Millenium earlier this year and were were code red for the whole cruise as were around 4-5 of the cruises before/after ours. We weren't able to board til 5pm and there was no self service for the entire cruise. We still had a great cruise [emoji1]

It happens regularly on both Millie in Asia and Infinity in S. America, loads of air borne bugs in these areas, and poor hygiene standards off ship both combine to make the risk pretty high.

I have heard it said, that often the bugs are brought on by people whom have done land tours BEFORE their cruise - could be a lot of truth in that.

We had cloudy skies and rain in Hong Kong, then clouds for the next few days, since then it has been mostly sunny and HOT 80s-90s F. On Da Nang / Hoi An day there were showers near the men's but the town were un affected, it was still not and still mostly sunny with a few showers. it rained last night, but you'd probably never know unless you were on deck (sea day).

We received the txt msgs, emails and voicemails about the cleanings last night, but absolutely NO information about it onboard except the messages we've been getting all cruise. We would have never known by being onboard. Our B2B meeting is scheduled for 10:15 this morning and mandatory for one of us, but we both have massages booked so no can do. I'll try and update later if I find anything out. If there is an "outbreak" it's not that bad, still self service at the buffet, salt and pepper shakers on the table in the MDR, etc

I promise, Bangkok update is coming, slow internet is PAINFUL but it is supposed to get better next week when we stop sharing the connection with Voyager of the Seas.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Oh dear hope whatever norovirus or other illness situation is in control. Good to hear that they are taking any sign of trouble seriously and intend to do an extensive clean up.

Weather - Dec/Jan is the 'monsoon' season in Singapore which means it rains a LOT, stronger winds at sea but it's a few degrees cooler than usual (still hot tropical weather but feels a lot more bearable). So there is plus and minus at same time but definitely bring along your rain gear and prepare for rain. From wikipedia 'During the Northeast Monsoon, northeast winds prevail, sometimes reaching 20 km/h (12 mph). There are cloudy conditions in December and January with frequent afternoon showers.'

It's different for Thailand - the last time I went to Phuket the local guides told me that Nov to Feb is probably the best time to visit and peak tourist season in Thailand - weather is slightly cooler yet it rains less, also wind is less strong and the sea is calmer - good for swimming and all sorts of water activities.

keep posting. You are doing it just right....It is the cruise that I wanted to be on....if I were self employed, like I used to be, might have a chance....but working for the boss these days, and so, sadly, had to pass it up....:) so I am living it through you. Actually I did the China, Vietnam, Singapore portion a couple of years ago....when I was self employed....(LOL) and it was wonderful...but I really wanted to see those lizards....:)

Day 2 Bangkok. We enjoyed a nice breakfast in the concierge lounge of the Marriott. It was a wonderful hotel with moderately fast internet in a not so great location. We were supposed to meet our guide at 8:30 and on somewhat typical Jenna time we showed up in the lobby at 8:45a. Instead of doing the "typical tourist" things like the floating market, reclining Budah etc Darlene booked a zip lining tour at the "Open Zoo" about two hours from Bangkok at 45 minutes from the port. It's called Flight of the Gibbons. We executed to all be zip lining with the monkeys. After checking in, heading up the mountain, gearing up and then trekking a couple of kilometers or maybe half a mile UP the mountain and waking up the steps to the first platform, we all could see the second platform HIGH up a spiral staircase in a tree. Only one of us, Rob had ever zip lined before so he went first. Dee was going to go second, but she had me go next. She tried a few times but just couldn't lift her feet and let go! Toni and Dee decided to walk back down, Rob and continued on to the next 25 platforms. While none were over 1000 ft long or particularly fast compared to others we have heard about, there were a lot of rides, a couple of rope bridges and two platforms we had to repel down to the next. We both had a really great time.

07d0802ebc4a4c8d14afbc9c43893c29.jpg

44c5dc5bccd7ff6aabd43d962e8e11bd.jpg

9174d4e4637310b3b56da967692ac172.jpg

1f0593febf58f973334838c3fbe7c372.jpg

0e4fd4f64dcacbac8fa0310b4cc0bb7f.jpg

d5e14fa131a05e3dfedac45f0192609f.jpg

To be continued...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziplining seems fun! And certainly seems like a great alternative to the usual touristy stuff.

Jenna, thanks for the wonderful update again. Just wondering...if we want to do this, does this company provide transport to/fro the port? How did you manage the transport?