Dress Code

DelrayCruisers2

Can anyone tell me if I should pack differently for HAL EURODAM than we did for Princess? Generally we are bathing suit for day and he in slacks and knit button down for dinner. I like to get a little fancy. Formal is sports jacks OK do do I have him drag along the tux? Can I do cocktail dress or do I need a gown?

Edited by DelrayCruisers2
Typo

Can anyone tell me if I should pack differently for HAL EURODAM than we did for Princess? Generally we are bathing suit for day and he in slacks and knit button down for dinner. I like to get a little fancy. Formal is sports jacks OK do do I have him drag along the tux? Can I do cocktail dress or do I need a gown?

Sports jacket and cocktail dress are fine for Formal nights.

A cocktail dress is fine for you; I also do the black skirt or dressy slacks and dressy/sparkly tops a formal night or 2. A sports jacket and tie are ok for your DH. Tuxes are seen more often on the longer and the Grand Voyages.

Don't forget the cover-up as HAL asks passengers to not use the passageways without shoes or cover-ups.

Have a great cruise.

We pack exactly the same for HAL, Princess and Celebrity. No need to change anything.

Tuxes and long gowns are in the minority no matter which of these you cruise nowadays. Will you see them?...yes a few. But you will also see a few men entering the dining room on formal night without a jacket. :o Women range from "Sunday best" to cocktail dress to fancy pants and a few long gowns....generally to match with partner in tux.;)

No need to worry. Have a great cruise.

Generally speaking: people can feel uncomfortable being undressed, but are never so when over dressed. Go for the gowns and tuxedos, and raise the bar!

Gowns and tuxedos can't be "overdressed" on formal nights, as they are an example of "formal".

Now, white tie & tails would be overdressed, and someone might feel uncomfortable in that.

Gowns and tuxedos can't be "overdressed" on formal nights, as they are an example of "formal".

Now, white tie & tails would be overdressed, and someone might feel uncomfortable in that.

I guess I will be in the minority. A sport coat, as others have indicated as being appropriate, doesn't by any stretch meet my definition of formal. If I am one of the few in a tuxedo then so be it.

On several of our Atlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2 I have seen a gent in white tie and tails. One man entered the Queen's Grill with a top hat, which was handed to the maître d' at the entrance. That was always on the "Ascot Ball night" so he didn't seem to be overdressed.

I have worn my white tie and tails on formal nights on Cunard, Celebrity and HAL. I have not felt overdressed. Of course, when I cruise I enjoy the formality. Since so many people like to dress casually, I figure dressing elegantly just balances things out.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

On a recent cruise I noticed many gentlemen, I use the term quite lightly, dressed in Jeans. What don't people understand about country club casual or formal?

Anyway, what we now see as formal is really coctail. Formal would require a gown for her and tails for him.

richard

No need for a Tux. Sports Jacket or Blazer is all I use.

Edited by Folk Singer