14 year old daughter denied boarding due to fever.

Thanks for your comments, when I said that I wasn't sure whether we would get around to using the cruise credits, I was basing that on that last experience. As I think I mentioned before, my main concern at the time was that my wife's medical condition could have given cause to cancel, bearing in mind that the decision to book a cruise is usually taken some time ahead of travel, in the event she was fine but my daughter's fever came out of left field. I shall leave it to my wife to decide whether she feels that we need another "adventure", and whether she spots a cruise that offers something that is appealing to us.

As a retired airline employee I still have access to (discounted) flights which have the drawback of travelling on a standby basis (if the plane is full, we don't go), but the benefit is, if we don't travel, the airline gives me my money back! :)

The negative experience you had with your daughter not being allowed to cruise, based on a decision by Royal was handled to your satisfaction with an appropriate credit for both your daughter and yourself on a future cruise. Therefore that experience was rectified. I don't remember reading (nor really is it relevant to the issue here) "my main concern at the time was that my wife's medical condition could have given cause to cancel" -- you still BOOKED a cruise knowing her condition and then as you say "my daughter's fever came out of left field".

Now that you got what you wanted (and you admit satisfactorily), a credit for both you and your daughter, find a way to use it, instead of making it sound as if you won't use the credits given, based on 'this experience'. This specific experience was handled very well by Royal.

Royal Caribbean have replied to my email, they had stated at the time of the cruise that my daughter would receive a "cruise credit" as she had been denied boarding due to medical reasons. I was very pleased to see that RC have extended this credit to include me, as the adult responsible for a 14 year old, and therefore obliged to curtail my trip to accompany her. I'm not sure whether we will ever get around to using the credit, but I think this is a fair outcome, and it sends a positive message about completing health declarations in a truthful manner.

Great result !

If you're not going to use them and they can be transferred to someone else, I'm sure people on here would buy them off you with an appropriate discount knocked off :)

Now that you got what you wanted (and you admit satisfactorily), a credit for both you and your daughter, find a way to use it, instead of making it sound as if you won't use the credits given, based on 'this experience'.

I don't know why you read it that way. I certainly didn't and, from many others, don't get the impression they did either.

The 'wording' sounded fine to me... though in any case of course the poster would be entitled to word it however he felt like.

Please believe when I say I am very sorry you and your daughter missed your cruise. It is always a disappointment when our travel plans go awry.

But I'm sure you must also understand now that Ebola has begun to be a concern to us all, the cruiselines must take every precaution to keep passengers safe.

Ebola? Can't say that I have ever been worried about getting it. No I'm more concerned about getting into a car accident because the idiot driving next to me thinks they can text and drive at the same time. This is way more of a threat to my safety then Ebola.

The negative experience you had with your daughter not being allowed to cruise, based on a decision by Royal was handled to your satisfaction with an appropriate credit for both your daughter and yourself on a future cruise. Therefore that experience was rectified. I don't remember reading (nor really is it relevant to the issue here) "my main concern at the time was that my wife's medical condition could have given cause to cancel" -- you still BOOKED a cruise knowing her condition and then as you say "my daughter's fever came out of left field".

Now that you got what you wanted (and you admit satisfactorily), a credit for both you and your daughter, find a way to use it, instead of making it sound as if you won't use the credits given, based on 'this experience'. This specific experience was handled very well by Royal.

I am confused by the aggressive tone of your post. The op had nothing negative to say about royal and even said he was happy about the resolution. Why attack just because he said he may not be able to use the credit?

I am confused by the aggressive tone of your post. The op had nothing negative to say about royal and even said he was happy about the resolution. Why attack just because he said he may not be able to use the credit?

The entire thread was about his disappointment if he got ONLY a credit for his daughter....and then he gets what he wants, yet still says he may not use the credit for himself and his daughter.

The issue of his wife's health in this discussion is irrelevant. It was a situation that existed before the cruise and they booked it anyway. If he doesn't use the credit and try to maximize it (as already suggested) on a sale then he has 'lost his money totally' and that would seem even more foolish.

If you can 'hear' aggressive tone in written words, that is amazing. Nothing aggressive from me.

• 4 months later...
Hi, we arrived at the ship (Splendour of the Seas) on Saturday 18th October 2014 at Venice. Our daughter, aged 14, had had a day off school the previous day due to a high temperature (there are a few bugs going around the school at this time of year) but felt fit enough to fly out from London to Italy the next day for the cruise. When we arrived at the cruise terminal we were presented with the health questionnaire at check-in. The first question asked whether anyone had had a cold/cough/fever etc., the second asked if vomiting or diarrhoea were experienced, the third enquired whether we had been to West Africa recently. My wife and I discussed this and thought it best to answer "yes" to the first question, and "no" to the others. If I remember correctly, the questionnaire stated that answering "yes" would not necessarily mean being refused boarding of the ship. We were then directed by the check-in clerk to wait for a medic to assess our daughter. The doctor arrived, measured her temperature, said it was too high and that she could not travel. This was a massive disappointment to my family (me, my wife, 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter).

After a great deal of thought I managed to persuade my wife and son to remain on the cruise, and I managed to buy tickets on the last British Airways flight back to London that evening. We were initially told that my daughter would receive a refund for her cruise fare, and were later given a letter informing us that she would receive a "cruise credit". The Royal Caribbean staff were very pleasant throughout but it really was looking like the holiday from hell at that point.

I do believe that as the parent of a 14 year old minor, it would have been impossible for me to have done anything else other than leave the cruise to care for her, indeed it would probably be a criminal offence to do otherwise. I would hope that Royal Caribbean recognise this and award me a cruise credit too, to do otherwise would certainly send a message that honesty may not be the best policy when completing health questionnaires, something that no one would wish to encourage with the current Ebola epidemic in mind.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts that anyone can pass on to me, if anyone has been through a similar experience. We look forward to vacations and it is especially disappointing when they are snatched away at the last minute, with the possibility of the loss of a much anticipated holiday, and a large amount of money. I wait to see whether my insurance will reimburse me for any of the cost of the cruise, and the extra air fares purchased.

My daughter visited a hospital in England the following day, the nurse believed her to have flu, a few days later things were back to normal for her. My wife and son enjoyed the cruise, but it wasn't the same for them without us accompanying them.

Whether you have insurance or not or credit for your portion of the missed cruise still plan to take your daughter on the same or better itinerary a Mother Daughter Cruise. Go ahead and surprise you. See if you can upgrade to the balcony . Then you will both enjoy a vacation to remember. Just be glad you were not flying back from the states and that you could fly home to London the same day.

Edited by travelplus