14 year old daughter denied boarding due to fever.

I am not a doctor, but I do play one on the internet. IMO, a fever alone should not keep someone from boarding a ship. Period.

Now Royal Caribbean is certainlly welcome in institute such a policy. And if they do, they should tell everybody upfront, "If you temperature is above normal (or over XXX.X) you will not be allowed to board."

And if Royal Caribbean is going to make capricious decisions about who boards and who doesn't, a lot of people are not going to provide them truthful information.

Edited by zekekelso

Hi, we arrived at the ship (Splendour of the Seas) on Saturday 18th October 2014 at Venice. Our daughter, aged 14, had had a day off school the previous day due to a high temperature.............

The doctor arrived, measured her temperature, said it was too high and that she could not travel. ......

My daughter visited a hospital in England the following day, the nurse believed her to have flu, a few days later things were back to normal for her. My wife and son enjoyed the cruise, but it wasn't the same for them without us accompanying them.

First, I and every passenger of the ship you might have gotten on appreciate you being truthful on the form. The purpose of the form is not only to prevent Ebola. It is to prevent the spread of any illness throughout the ship. Whenever you have conditions in which large groups of people are in close confines you have increased risk of spread of any contagion. The thousands of other people aboard that ship did not want your daughters flue any more than they want Ebola. Furthermore this rule was for your daughters protection. There are conditions in which fever, nausea and vomiting are the first signs but when the condition evolves further are found to be disorders that would not be able to be treated effectively aboard a ship. Examples might include appendicitis, pyelonephritis, meningitis, etc... When your child runs a high fever, you really should take them to the doctor before you embark on an international trip, or indeed even before you leave your hometown!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

A temp scanner is not intrusive

I said I thought that the questionnaires are "intrusive and fatuous", not thermometers.

But having denied boarding to the child, I am surprised her mother and sibling were allowed to board, having been in such close contact with her.

Likewise anyone who was on the same flight out to Venice with her or on the transfer bus from the airport to the ship, or anyone who was in the check-in queue in proximity to her.........

That's how stupid this whole system is! Where does it all end?

And I ask again, what about the passengers on the return fight to England with the "infectious" child? I have yet to hear of any pandemic breaking out here.

She could have been allowed to board, and quarantined in a cabin for a day or so until her status was properly evaluated.

I flew to Singapore this year, to board a ship and end up in Dubai two weeks later. If I felt a little bit under the weather, as I did, incidentally - I think it was the Equatorial heat - would I be so rash as to declare it on that form and risk thousands of dollars and upset holiday plans and re-scheduling flights and hotel accommodation?

No way!

My thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer advice, it's much appreciated. I have sent an email to Royal Caribbean regarding my situation and am awaiting a full reply. Whilst I expect my daughter to be offered the cruise credit as stated in the letter handed out, it would be commendable on the part of the cruise line if they recognise the position that their decision placed me in.

I have to agree. If you don't want passengers to lie on their forms, minimize their inconvenience for being truthful. Which is worse, crediting this family for not taking the cruise, or the headline "Outbreak on another Cruise Ship"?

But having denied boarding to the child, I am surprised her mother and sibling were allowed to board, having been in such close contact with her.

Why? There was no indication they had influenza. What if they had the flu shot and the strain the child had was one which was included in the flu shot batch?

My point is to not be so quick to exclude too many people.

Why? There was no indication they had influenza.

From what's been written, there is no indication that the child had influenza either. A high temperature alone does not a flu make.

My point is to not be so quick to exclude too many people.

Yet that's what RCL's doctor was here.

I am not a doctor, but I do play one on the internet. IMO, a fever alone should not keep someone from boarding a ship. Period.

Now Royal Caribbean is certainlly welcome in institute such a policy. And if they do, they should tell everybody upfront, "If you temperature is above normal (or over XXX.X) you will not be allowed to board."

And if Royal Caribbean is going to make capricious decisions about who boards and who doesn't, a lot of people are not going to provide them truthful information.

Agreed.

Above that there are many viruses and bacterial infections that people carry onto a ship daily.It does not mean you will catch it.If you practice good hygeine and dont sneeze in someones face or food you can be responsible about it.When someone in our family of four gets sick with a fever it is vety rare that anyone else comes down with it and they are in close quarters and in physical contact with each other.I think if she boarded the ship in this case no harm wouldve been done.Ive been a firefighter/paramedic for 15 yrs in contact with very sick people everyday of my career and never get sick.Flame me all you want but if I came down with a fever the night before a cruise that ai spent the last yr looking forward to and planning details I wouldve answered no.But inmy defense I would do it responsibly.Now if I had n/v diarhea (noro) I would not board.But when you have that you dont want to anyways.My opinion.Go ahead and flame me if you want but most people would and do the same all the time.This is just alot of overkill if you ask me.Crazy paranoia with people not understanding the true facts.

Edited by rtazz17

The rules are in place to protect everyone. I think if anyone has a fever right before a cruise you should not go on the plane or near the ship. A fever means you are sick and most likely what you have is contagious unless diagnosed by a doctor otherwise. There are just so many reasons to stay home if you are sick. I wish more people would take responsibility and do that. I am glad this poster was honest but the BEST course of action would have been to not leave London at all with a sick traveler. Like someone said, now everyone on two airline flights were exposed to the flu which for some people is as bad as ebola and can cause death.

This is pure paranoia this statement...Give me a break really?Wow

Most children wouldnt see the light of day growing up with this statement.Kids are sick all the time untill their immunity builds being exposed to these viruses.

Last month, our health questionnaire said fever AND . . .

Also, there should be rapid flu tests they can administer. I've been quarantined a few times, and I got cruise credit. Not DH though since he wasn 't sick, even though he spent most of the time taking care of me.

Most children wouldnt see the light of day growing up with this statement.Kids are sick all the time untill their immunity builds being exposed to these viruses.

so silly. Think first, then write.

While it's true that very young children get frequent colds and gradually build up resistance to colds over the years by the time they reach 14 years of age they are done with that. And no matter what their age if the child was running a high fever at school they would be sent home for their own welfare and for that of the other children in the school so why would you suppose that the cruise ship would allow the child to be on it if the school would not?!??!

Each passenger is in the best position to judge their own health. Any passenger that feels well enough to cruise should not answer yes to any of the questions. Medical rights are private, never give up those rights to the cruise line.

Well the lesson here is clearly to lie on your form. Thanks to Royal Caribbean for clearing that one up for us.

RC talk a good game, "we strive to ensure a healthy vacation...." But what they really mean is "so long as it doesn't cost us money".

A future cruise credit for the child is pretty much worthless given 2 adults and a child still have to be paid for before it can be used and that ain't gonna happen.

I commend your spirit of honesty. I wouldn't have ticked yes unless I was knocking on death's door and the fact your daughter flew / BA allowed her to fly means that probably wasn't the case.

If everyone with a cold is refused boarding you've pretty much wiped out winter cruising.

One thing that does bear mention is the juxtaposition between the honesty of ticking yes on the pre boarding form and what you must have told the school to pull the kids out for a term time holiday :)

I appreciate the trip may have happened a little while ago in school holiday time - just me being wicked ;)

Henry

1) Well the lesson here is clearly to lie on your form. Thanks to Royal Caribbean for clearing that one up for us. RC talk a good game, "we strive to ensure a healthy vacation...." But what they really mean is "so long as it doesn't cost us money".

2) A future cruise credit for the child is pretty much worthless given 2 adults and a child still have to be paid for before it can be used and that ain't gonna happen.

3) I commend your spirit of honesty. I wouldn't have ticked yes unless I was knocking on death's door and the fact your daughter flew / BA allowed her to fly means that probably wasn't the case. If everyone with a cold is refused boarding you've pretty much wiped out winter cruising.

Henry

I agree with you on your first two points but while I commend the original posters honesty, they should have gotten their child illness checked before leaving home. The biggest problem with this is that they were aware of, but did not know the cause of their child's "high fever" and yet still embarked upon an international vacation. I have had parents bring their child in to be checked because of fever or other symptoms prior to leaving on a vacation. If they are smart enough to get their child in to be seen at least 72 hours before their trip we still have time to make the child non contagious even if they have strep throat. And I have seen babies who ran a high fever just due to teething. BUT parents should have their children checked if they're running a high fever PRIOR TO travel!

I once had a parent call in reporting two children in the family ill. She did not wish to bring both of their children in because she believed they both had a virus. The parent wanted to bring the child who became ill first in to the clinic. I had her bring both children in. The one she had planned to bring in did indeed have simple gastroenteritis. The other child was running fever and had tenderness over the Appendix with rebound. (note that the child though 9 years of age did not tell the parent their belly hurt!) I assisted at surgery that same day when that child had a rather large infected appendix removed. It would have likely burst if it had been left longer.

I'm not saying that parents should drop everything and rush to the emergency room every time their child's temperature goes above 98.6, but they should get them checked before they leave their home country if the temperature is above 100.4!

Each passenger is in the best position to judge their own health. Any passenger that feels well enough to cruise should not answer yes to any of the questions. Medical rights are private, never give up those rights to the cruise line.

Really? A child knows all this? There are a number of threads on various boards here demanding to know what the cruise lines are doing about preventing Ebola and other contagious diseases from spreading on ships. So they do something and you complain about it?

Just curious - how high was her temperature?

Unless the doctor who saw her with an idiot the temperature had to be 100.4 or above for him to call it a high fever. But you're right the OP's never mentioned what was being called a high fever.

Hi, we arrived at the ship (Splendour of the Seas) on Saturday 18th October 2014 at Venice. Our daughter, aged 14, had had a day off school the previous day due to a high temperature (there are a few bugs going around the school at this time of year) but felt fit enough to fly out from London to Italy the next day for the cruise. When we arrived at the cruise terminal we were presented with the health questionnaire at check-in. The first question asked whether anyone had had a cold/cough/fever etc., the second asked if vomiting or diarrhoea were experienced, the third enquired whether we had been to West Africa recently. My wife and I discussed this and thought it best to answer "yes" to the first question, and "no" to the others. If I remember correctly, the questionnaire stated that answering "yes" would not necessarily mean being refused boarding of the ship. We were then directed by the check-in clerk to wait for a medic to assess our daughter. The doctor arrived, measured her temperature, said it was too high and that she could not travel. This was a massive disappointment to my family (me, my wife, 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter).

After a great deal of thought I managed to persuade my wife and son to remain on the cruise, and I managed to buy tickets on the last British Airways flight back to London that evening. We were initially told that my daughter would receive a refund for her cruise fare, and were later given a letter informing us that she would receive a "cruise credit". The Royal Caribbean staff were very pleasant throughout but it really was looking like the holiday from hell at that point.

I do believe that as the parent of a 14 year old minor, it would have been impossible for me to have done anything else other than leave the cruise to care for her, indeed it would probably be a criminal offence to do otherwise. I would hope that Royal Caribbean recognise this and award me a cruise credit too, to do otherwise would certainly send a message that honesty may not be the best policy when completing health questionnaires, something that no one would wish to encourage with the current Ebola epidemic in mind.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts that anyone can pass on to me, if anyone has been through a similar experience. We look forward to vacations and it is especially disappointing when they are snatched away at the last minute, with the possibility of the loss of a much anticipated holiday, and a large amount of money. I wait to see whether my insurance will reimburse me for any of the cost of the cruise, and the extra air fares purchased.

My daughter visited a hospital in England the following day, the nurse believed her to have flu, a few days later things were back to normal for her. My wife and son enjoyed the cruise, but it wasn't the same for them without us accompanying them.

First of all we'd like to congratulate you for doing the right thing, telling the truth about your daughters temp., and possibly saving others from getting sick from your daughter!

Second, we hope RCL refunds you both because you did the right thing! It would be setting a bad example if RCL didn't refund you, it could enforce others to lie!

First of all we'd like to congratulate you for doing the right thing, telling the truth about your daughters temp., and possibly saving others from getting sick from your daughter!

Second, we hope RCL refunds you both because you did the right thing! It would be setting a bad example if RCL didn't refund you, it could enforce others to lie!

Actually, if they did reimburse the OP, it would be sending a message for people to not bother getting insurance. Incidents like this are precisely why people should take out travel insurance. People get sick/have accidents and miss cruises all the time. That's what insurance is for. Why should the cruise line take responsibility?

Actually, if they did reimburse the OP, it would be sending a message for people to not bother getting insurance. Incidents like this are precisely why people should take out travel insurance. People get sick/have accidents and miss cruises all the time. That's what insurance is for. Why should the cruise line take responsibility?

I agree that people should have insurance but there is a fine line where someone may feel well enough to travel but it is RCI who deems them not fit to travel.

In cases where it is RCI that decides the person is not fit to travel then I fully expect that RCI should continue to reimburse the person and in this case also the parent who had to cancel their travel as well to accompany the underage child that was denied boarding.

Ok let's consider this logically. Which is the more important message to send:

1) You need to be honest on the health forms so that you maintain the safety and health of all on board and if forbidden entry due to health you will be given future cruise credit for you and your traveling companions if they choose not to leave without you. Keeping in mind you are already being punished by not getting to go on your vacation and wasting airfare you used to go to the cruise port.

OR

2) You must purchase travel insurance because we know you will maliciously run a high fever or develop nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea on the day of arrival to port just so you and your family can get future cruise credit and not get to go on your vacation.

Really?!?!? :confused: No one suggested using illness as an excuse to cancel the cruise and receive refund last minute without leaving home but if someone arrives to the cruise port and has already had the expense of getting there, in this case on an international flight, I don't think they would maliciously skip the travel insurance.

Edited by Jana60

In cases where it is RCI that decides the person is not fit to travel then I fully expect that RCI should continue to reimburse the person and in this case also the parent who had to cancel their travel as well to accompany the underage child that was denied boarding.

Strongly disagree. RCI is doing what it needs to to protect its ship and other guests. If RCI feel a passenger is not well enough or not fit to travel they have every right to deny boarding. It is unfortunate that it ruined a family holiday but those that DO pay their ticket price AND buy insurance should NOT be subsidizing those who did not.

Life happens, and that's not RCI's fault or issue. That is why you take proper insurance coverage to make sure you can be made whole on any financial losses incurred.

I too applaud OP for being honest, but being honest and not having insurance does not, and should not, equal the same benefits as having insurance. Otherwise for what purpose am I buying insurance if I can get the same benefits without paying?

Thanks for your honesty and integrity; that memory will stick with your children longer than the disappointment.

My sentiments exactly....the life lesson that "honest is the best policy" was priceless for your kids. However, I also believe that RCI should have extended a future cruise credit at LEAST to both you and your daughter as she is a minor and needed a parent to accompany her back home. In all reality, RCI should have offered the ENTIRE family a future cruise credit as "good will" (I know this is a business and RCI is in it to make $$$$, don't flame me.....but that would have been EXCELLENT customer service!!! which is now totally lacking).