Diamond Princess in Feb 2015 - HELP

Hi we have booked our first cruise on the Diamond Princess

We have sailed with Sun, Sea & Dawn and I believe the Diamond is set up differently with US$$ onboard and the payment of gratities attached to our account even though she is asiling in australian waters!

Is this true?

Can anyone please let us know the differences from "our" princess ships here in Oz and the Diamond while she sails here!

Any advise, tips or extra knowledge to help our cruise experience would be gratefully received with thanks.

Bubbles

Edited by bubbles2014

We have sailed with Sun, Sea & Dawn and I believe the Diamond is set up differently with US$$ onboard and the payment of gratities attached to our account even though she is asiling in australian waters!

Is this true?

Can anyone please let us know the differences from "our" princess ships here in Oz and the Diamond while she sails here!

Any advise, tips extra knowledge to help our cruise experience would be gratefully received with thanks

Bubbles

yes the Diamond is in USD whilst cruising in australian waters from november 2014 until march 2015 and gratuities will be charged on a daily basis.....when the Golden & Diamond returns here in 12 months time the currency will be in AUD and the gratuities will be included in the fare

Is this true?

Any advise, tips or extra knowledge to help our cruise experience would be gratefully received with thanks.

Bubbles

If you have sailed on the Sun, Sea or Dawn previously you will notice a huge difference in the Diamond. The Diamond is bigger, with more amenities and now has the International Café which is awesome. The Diamond is one of our favourite ships and we will be back on her for 33 nights in March next year.

The prices onboard are in US$ at the moment. The gratuities are added onto your onboard account each night.

Hi Bubbles,

Yes you are right your onboard account will be in US dollars for this cruise season and tips will be added each day to your account.

In terms of staffing, shows and activities it still feels like the Australian ships.

The major differences between it and the Australian based ships are the size and layout of the ship.

-The DP has two major pool areas one large outdoor and one large indoor pool ( In 43 days sailing on her I have never seen the roof open).

-The Horizon Court is at the back of the ship which is divided up into three areas on each side.

-There is an additional entertainment venue located midship called the Explorers lounge. Arrive early for shows as seating is limited in this spot.

-The nightclub called skywalkers is at the top of the ship and is a great spot during the day to watch the ocean and read a book without all the crowds. Great views from here well worth a vist.

That's all I can think of at the moment. We last sailed on her in Feb/March this year before the refit so some of this information may be out of date.

She is a beautiful ship with a spacious feel. Enjoy your cruise on her.:)

Karryl

I'm not certain, but it's possible based on the above that gratuities would be added to drinks as well on Diamond, rather than being inclusive as on the others.

Price should still work out similarly, just whether it's like the US system where it's added on, or all inclusive.

Anytime dining - is a big plus in my opinion. It really seems to make the cruise more laid back and you can go to dinner at whatever time suits you rather than rushing to meet your traditional dining allotted time. Occasionally there is a wait, but not too often.:)

thanks to all for your prompt help

Can we adjust or remove gratuties on the Diamond to supply $$$$ personally to staff ie waiters, room steward + others, as we ALWAYS do on "our" aussie ships!

We just love the feeling of giving the $$$$$ personally to staff with our expression of thanks :)

Edited by bubbles2014

In addition to the lists above, the main noticeable difference post refit that we noticed would be the new Izumi bath house at the rear of the ship on deck 15, the new Kai Sushi restaurant on deck 7 and a nice face lift to the Horizon court including new live work stations.

thanks to all for your prompt help

Can we adjust or remove gratuties on the Diamond to supply $$$$ personally to staff ie waiters, room steward + others, as we ALWAYS do on "our" aussie ships!

We just love the feeling of giving the $$$$$ personally to staff with our expression of thanks :)

on the aussie ships the gratuities are included in with the fare so if you do it that way you are tipping twice

on the princess board they say if you remove the gratuities and tip the staff they have to hand it in and pool it, thats why the US people leave the gratuities on and if you wish to tip the staff extra they can keep it

Just booked this cruise cause it was cheapish for solo.

Can anyone tell me if you book air through Princess whether you get a free transfer from ship to airport or do you have to pay that on top?

This will be our 9th cruise with Princess and never once have we been give a FREE transfer when we booked with Princess air and we have never paid $19 it has always and was last Sunday when we returned on the Dawn Princess from NZ - $29 pp :confused:

So please tell me Aus Traveller where you can for $19.00

Edited by bubbles2014

You do not have to pay the compulsory tips on your on board

cRedit

if you do not wish to do so

We were on the "Diamond" 18 months ago and asked at the Purser's office for the tips to be removed. All we were required to do was sign a waiver form and it was done with no questions asked and in a pleasant manner. I might add that 80 percent of passengers on that cruise were Aussies and many had the tips removed

We are Like you and prefer to personally tip the staff that gives us excellent service

I do not for one moment believe that the compulsory tips are shared amongst the crew and that it is a scam by the Company to supplement the overall wages bill and reduce the overall expenses

As for the tips being included in the fares Australians pay for Aussie based cruises, we are paying less per passenger now for the same cruises that we did before the tips were "included" in the fare

I might be cynical but I am also proudly Australian and do not agree being "Amerianised" with their tipping culture

The cruise lines have reacted to Aussie outrage over compulsory tipping by removing it. It took two or three years of continuous complaining on Cruise Critic

For this to happen. I think it is called. "People Power"

John

Thank you John

I thought that maybe the case and was hoping that was so! :)

I agree with all you have said.

Aussies don't want to adopt the yankie tipping culture and we were recently told from a crew member that tip sharing did not happen in Australia.

We really enjoy the giving of $$$ to staff for excellent service and will fight to be able to continue this practice while sailing in Australian waters but of course I know that for all who remove the gratuities, some don't pay anything to staff which in turn causes a greater problem for those of us who only want to personally tip.

So the fight goes on.

Hats off to people power

Edited by bubbles2014

Oh damn.... I thought I read somewhere that it was put on during the re-fit. Shame it wasn't' date=' I was looking forward to it. :([/quote']

It sure does, well it did have on our Sydney to Singapore early this year.

But that was before it's Asianisation dry dock. Hope they didn't take it out. Most unlikely.

Edited by kiwipete

It sure does, well it did have on our Sydney to Singapore early this year.

But that was before it's Asianisation dry dock. Hope they didn't take it out. Most unlikely.

Kiwipete I was on the same cruise and while there was a place to get coffee and drinks on deck 5 in the Atrium it was called the Lobby Bar and only had pastries/sandwiches etc available from a covered platter on the raised bar. There were a few bar stools to use as well as a number of tub chairs and small round tables. It was a very popular spot at times and could be hard to get a table. I remember this as I liked to go down there in the afternoon on the sea days to wait for the Cookie Man with his cart of milk and freshly baked cookies yum.:p

On the Sun Princess the new International Cafe is like a bakery shop where there are glass cabinets which are filled with tempting treats which you ask to be put on a plate for you.

Karryl

Kiwipete I was on the same cruise and while there was a place to get coffee and drinks on deck 5 in the Atrium it was called the Lobby Bar and only had pastries/sandwiches etc available from a covered platter on the raised bar. There were a few bar stools to use as well as a number of tub chairs and small round tables. It was a very popular spot at times and could be hard to get a table. I remember this as I liked to go down there in the afternoon on the sea days to wait for the Cookie Man with his cart of milk and freshly baked cookies yum.:p

On the Sun Princess the new International Cafe is like a bakery shop where there are glass cabinets which are filled with tempting treats which you ask to be put on a plate for you.

Karryl

My apologies Karryl, you are correct. We were on the Sun last November and the Diamond early this year so I was confused!!! at least I can blame my age!!!

I will now go back to my rocking chair.

My apologies Karryl, you are correct. We were on the Sun last November and the Diamond early this year so I was confused!!! at least I can blame my age!!!

I will now go back to my rocking chair.

Don't worry I'm in my forties and I get some of the ships features mixed up. Maybe I'm going on too many different ships or just going on too many cruises.:eek:

Karryl