When does your "cruise" start?

marshhawk

Unofficially, it starts the moment I book the cruise! Officially, it starts with the "bong" as our cards are scanned and we get our embarkation picture taken. That big grin is something plastered on my face until I leave the ship!

Then I start planning the next cruise! :D

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It happens in three phases for me:

1. My vacation starts when my plane take off from O'Hare airport (or possibly Midway in the future). The pre-cruise day is part of that vacation, even if the most fun I have is putzing around the streets of a strange city and taking care of last-minute purchases at a local grocery store. It's still fun because of being in a new area.

2. My soft opening happens when I step onboard the ship. I may be on the cruise already, but there are still logistics to worry about: finding my cabin, getting to know the ship layout, finding my MDR table, and most importantly, getting my luggage.

3. My grand opening happens when my luggage arrives. That's when I'm certain beyond certain that I got everything I need to have an awesome time.

I never understood this concept until a friend told me that she and her husband always have a fuss when they're leaving for vacation:

She says that for HIM, the vacation begins when they get up to leave the house -- so he wants to sleep in, eat a big breakfast, leisurely pack the car.

On the other hand, SHE thinks the vacation begins when they arrive at their destination; thus, she wants to get up and go early, grab a biscuit on the road, and get to the destination as soon as possible.

I'm glad my husband and I don't have this disagreement. For us -- thinking of a cruise only -- vacation "begins" when we arrive at the night-before hotel. At that point, the driving is behind us. We'll be able to sleep in the next morning, go out for breakfast, and have only a 10-minute drive to the ship. I suppose I could say, the cruise begins when the drudgery is behind us.

Is it when you get to port?

Is it when you board the ship?

Is it when the ship leaves the dock?

I love the excitement of getting to the port, the people all happy to be going on a cruise, but to me it's when I hear the ding when my Sail and Sign card is first swiped to get on the ship. When I take that step from "ground" to "sea" the weights of the world drop off my shoulders, and I am on cruise mode.:D

Once I am on that ship!!

Corny me....once I step from the gangway ....and take THE STEP onto the ship and yes....I hear the ding pause ding pause ding

It is NOT embarkation process at Port Everglades. ..stay calm. Just get on the ship. Stay calm just get on the ship....port staff the rudest ever. It doesn't cost anything extra to smile and be nice !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app