Thinking of trying Royal Caribbean

mary80

We have sailed with carnival 4 times, and always love it. We are thinking of cruising in January, and found two cruises, both the same week, and both to key west and the Bahamas. One is with carnival, and one is with Royal. The Royal Caribbean cruise is about $300 cheaper. Have any of you ever sailed only with carnival and then switched to Royal? What did you think? We want to save money, but are afraid to make the switch. It'll be just the two of us sailing. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't see any reason to be afraid. If you enjoy cruising, there is nothing wrong with trying a different cruiseline. I did a B2B on Royal Caribbean last year, and loved it. Overall, my preference is Carnival, but I will sail others. I'm thinking about going on a NCL cruise within the next year or two just to try it out. :)

Dee

I like them both but the entertainment has totally gone downhill.

Much more space on RCI. I read on CruiseCritic the other day that the space ratios are better on RCI because they have higher ceilings.:confused:

Bill

Made me laugh out loud.....

Aesthetics.

Understand, but a significant factor is choosing a cruise? It is what it is, but I would not decide not to cruise HAL because their ships are black or Princess because they they those big ugly supports that go up the bridge of that spoiler thing in the back. Hey to each their own, it is just I was surprised.

Understand, but a significant factor is choosing a cruise? It is what it is, but I would not decide not to cruise HAL because their ships are black or Princess because they they those big ugly supports that go up the bridge of that spoiler thing in the back. Hey to each their own, it is just I was surprised.

Same as choosing a restaurant or a hotel. There's a reason why there's not just 4 grey walls. Dressing it up is an art. And there are many that appreciate art.

When you even walk into friends house, you size them up by how they decorate.

I do have to say that I am surprised about how many people say a deciding factor is the "prettiness" of the ship as a factor. Go figure.:confused:

For us, it's a big factor. I mean, if the ship is ugly, that means that 20% of my senses are not having a good time on vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The difference between Carnival and Royal is like Holiday Inn vs Hyatt. Royal just feels more upscale with higher service essentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually that's a matter of opinion. I've sailed several times on Royal Caribbean as well numerous times on Carnival. I've enjoyed the shows in the main showroom better on average on Royal Caribbean but in all other areas including other areas of entertainment I prefer carnival. I also prefer the food on carnival and I like the fact that they still offer lobster and escargot in the main dining room instead of only in the paid venues. I like having a large thick comfy robe waiting for me in the room in the morning without having to pack one. I like having free room service anytime I want it. While the menu selection is not extensive for the middle of the night the quality is quite good. I really like the open faced shrimp salad sandwich and the hot grilled ham and cheese. The service on Carnival is also unmatched by Royal Caribbean cruise line. I rarely ever have a carnival employee fail to smile and wish me a good morning or good day when walking past. Most of them refer to you by name when they pass you in the hall. Someone earlier pointed out that Royal Caribbean room stewards leave a card with their name and extension on it in your room. Carnival instead has the room steward actually come to your room and introduce himself and shake your hand on embarkation day. And there's a button on the phone that says room steward and lo and behold if you push it it rings your room steward unless he is already out in the halls working. I'm sure there are people who prefer Royal Caribbean. Different strokes for different folks! I prefer Carnival but I certainly think the OP should try a lot of different cruise lines and find out which one he likes best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Never hurts to broaden your horizons...

I'm Diamond Plus with Royal, trying Carnival out for the first time later this year. Doesn't really matter what cruise line you prefer, the product can get stale after a while and it never hurts to see how things are on the other side. Although I will miss my Diamond Lounge :p

Edited by cmich068

Someone earlier pointed out that Royal Caribbean room stewards leave a card with their name and extension on it in your room. Carnival instead has the room steward actually come to your room and introduce himself and shake your hand on embarkation day.

Just to clarify, on Royal, the cabin steward does come to your room, introduces him/herself, and personally hands you their card. Personally, I find the stewards on Carnival warmer and more "happy go lucky", and the ones on Royal a bit more professional and polished. Which one is better depends on personal preference on what good service entails, but both do a phenomenal job.

Just to clarify, on Royal, the cabin steward does come to your room, introduces him/herself, and personally hands you their card. Personally, I find the stewards on Carnival warmer and more "happy go lucky", and the ones on Royal a bit more professional and polished. Which one is better depends on personal preference on what good service entails, but both do a phenomenal job.

I agree on all of the above.