Pearl Tips and Secrets

g35girl

I will be on this ship in march 17, keeping an eye on this, I also read that the Pearl will be going in for a upgrade in 2017, hope its before our cruise.....

From Cruise Critic:

Ships: Norwegian Pearl

Dates: Winter 2017

Details: Public areas, including restaurants and lounges, will be redecorated. Staterooms will get a modernization. More details to come.

For Glacier Bay, they opened the bow to guests (usually only crew). There is a secret entrance on deck 8 which took us awhile to find. Unlabeled and unadvertised (we saw people down there and searched to figure out what deck and how to get to it).

Agreed on the bridge observation room; its pretty cool, and it has a nice large ship model and a movie playing (although its on a loop; wish it had a start over button).

Shorts are only supposedly not allowed in Indigo (the smaller of the two MDRs, vs. Summer Palace) and Le Bistro (the French specialty restaurant).

An over the door organizer worked fine for our balcony stateroom, so if a suite has the same doors, I'd guess its fine. It blocked both towel bars, but my hubby likes fresh towels daily anyways. We put all our bathroom stuff in it, which as a bonus makes it easy to get at from outside the bathroom when someone is at the sink in there. We found plenty of storage, and we packed really heavy too as we didn't have to fly (3 large and 2 small bags!), once I moved extra bedding all to one area (and I could have even stowed it in our bags under the bed). I imagine a mini suite may have a bit extra storage too.

They had one night in the buffet where all the desserts were chocolate. I didn't really like any dessert I tried except soft serve though. Cookies were seriously lacking...I was tempted to order room service for $8 to get some as that is my favorite cruise afternoon snack.

I was willing to pay the $8 for a real hot breakfast, but it turns out they don't have omelettes or french toast or anything on the menu anymore (I had seen that online). Only basic scrambled eggs and potatoes and such for the upcharge. There wasn't any room service menu or breakfast slips in our room; we had to ask for them and the room service menu came as a poor photocopy, so I'm guessing it was a semi recent change so they took away the books where it was printed (we didn't have any general magazine about the actual ship in the room).

There was milk/cream/sugar/etc next to each coffee machine, but we often found something was out, either half & half next to the coffee, or cones at the soft serve. There are multiple machines though.

They opened seating in La Cucina adjacent to the buffet for breakfast & lunch. Its near the Great Outdoors bar too (which appears to be the closest full bar near the buffet, as they only had a few beers & wines in the buffet, and no one ever came to our table). There was usually a huge gust of wind just outside the door to the Great Outdoors deck, but it was less windy at the tables. Another drinks tip is they had several Alaskan beers for the itinerary which weren't on any bar lists (saw people with them).

On the Victoria day it said the buffet closed at 9 or something and they would only have snacks at Great Outdoors, but they were still serving full dinner after 10pm (not sure if it was just because it was really bust with folks coming back from port).

They still have the Kids Cafe between the buffet and the Great Outdoors, but I never saw food set out on it (mid May cruise; maybe when there are more kids in the middle of summer though).

We used a power strip behind the tv and our room steward didn't report us or anything (it was rather hidden anyways).

We got spa passes for $149pp for the week, although it didn't open until later the first day, and I don't think it was open on disembarkation day. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure we really got our money's worth. The forward view was awesome just to lounge and read, and we went in the hot therapy pool & jacuzzi a couple times (although neither was really warm enough). We went for a tour of the spa after embarking and was able to buy a pass in the early afternoon, but I heard they sold out not long after (95 passes).

They held activities like bingo in both the Spinnaker and Lounge, space dependent I assume. Way too many activities that cost extra or were to sell you something for my tastes. Had hoped for more Alaska-themed stuff, but there was just a few documentaries and one guest speaker (at the end of the Skagway port day I think it was).

The Pearl definitely needs some work, both remodeling and a deep clean. It seemed like every soft surface was stained & worn and all wood furniture was chipped on every side.

The Pearl definitely needs some work, both remodeling and a deep clean. It seemed like every soft surface was stained & worn and all wood furniture was chipped on every side.

Our cabin steward told us that the Pearl is going into dry dock this October so I would assume some rehab will happen then - the only thing I saw that looked "dirty" was the light pinkish color cushions on the booths at The Garden Cafe. Otherwise I thought the ship looked immaculately clean. The next to last morning I noticed cabin stewards down our hallway was taking the coffee tables from the rooms (mini suites) and when we returned to our cabin that evening ours was missing too. Our cabin steward said they were replacing them with new when we arrived into Seattle the next day. May 5-15 Alaska

Edited by SuperCrewBear

They had one night in the buffet where all the desserts were chocolate. I didn't really like any dessert I tried except soft serve though. Cookies were seriously lacking...I was tempted to order room service for $8 to get some as that is my favorite cruise afternoon snack.

I agree, I was disappointed in the desserts on my recent Pearl trip. Even chocolate night, when I thought for sure I would be satisfied. Unfortunately they all seemed to taste the same. The only thing that stood out on the trip was a pistachio blondie served for lunch at Great Outdoors one day.

They opened seating in La Cucina adjacent to the buffet for breakfast & lunch. Its near the Great Outdoors bar too (which appears to be the closest full bar near the buffet, as they only had a few beers & wines in the buffet, and no one ever came to our table). There was usually a huge gust of wind just outside the door to the Great Outdoors deck, but it was less windy at the tables.

This is definitely a great tip! It took us a while to realize that La Cucina was overflow seating for breakfast and lunch at the buffet. It was a great location because it was quieter, there was always a table available, and on colder/windier days you are sheltered.

Our cabin steward told us that the Pearl is going into dry dock this October so I would assume some rehab will happen then - the only thing I saw that looked "dirty" was the light pinkish color cushions on the booths at The Garden Cafe. Otherwise I thought the ship looked immaculately clean. The next to last morning I noticed cabin stewards down our hallway was taking the coffee tables from the rooms (mini suites) and when we returned to our cabin that evening ours was missing too. Our cabin steward said they were replacing them with new when we arrived into Seattle the next day. May 5-15 Alaska

Thanks for the explanation! I was on the same cruise and wondering why I kept seeing tables out in the hallways.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much to everyone how has posted. The info is very helpful.

My 11y daughter and I are sailing in late September from Vancouver to Southern California. Could anyone give us tips about kid orientated activities and board besides the kids club in the climbing wall. My daughter is very busy and I'm hoping to have a list of things she can do before we leave. Also is there a DVDs player in the rooms or just a TV?

Thank you again to everyone. This is a great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Joyously Sailing Away

Thank you so much to everyone how has posted. The info is very helpful.

My 11y daughter and I are sailing in late September from Vancouver to Southern California. Could anyone give us tips about kid orientated activities and board besides the kids club in the climbing wall. My daughter is very busy and I'm hoping to have a list of things she can do before we leave. Also is there a DVDs player in the rooms or just a TV?

Thank you again to everyone. This is a great thread!

I know you said except for the kid's club... But for an 11 year old girl I think the Dolphins group is pretty amazing. The themes at night were loosely based on maze runner, hunger games and survivor... Pretty much a tween dream! I highly recommend having her go the 1st night and meet everyone... My daughter was nervous to tell me the next morning that she just wanted to go to kids club and not hang out with me at all. They also have sports court activities, take over the pool one night... It's a blast.

The Pearl will be in dry dock at some point between Feb 6, 2017 and March 10, 2017.

The Sixthman Walker Stalker Charter is on the Pearl from Feb 2-6 and the Pitbull charter is on the Pearl March 10-13. All the charters in between are on the Jade out of Tampa instead to accommodate the dry dock.

NCL say it's not so. We can't bring water on board. Must be honest. This is the most ridiculous penny pinching, nickel and dimming move NCL could have done. The package cruise and stay vacation we book means we have no choice but to sail on the NCL Pearl. This will be my one and only NCL cruise. I'm taking my business back to HAL where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. Oh and did I forget to mention HAL will also let me bring on one bottle of wine, FOR FREE

Way to kick the little guy NCL[emoji35][emoji107]🏼

Given the new bottled water restriction, I wonder if someone has some recent info about how drinkable the water on the Pearl is. Is there somewhere on the ship where you can fill up a reusable bottle (and keep it in the fridge)? Is the water in the cabins good enough for brushing teeth or if one of my boys needs a quick drink before bed? I hate to pay what they are charging for bottled water, but if it is a safety issue, of course I will.

Given the new bottled water restriction, I wonder if someone has some recent info about how drinkable the water on the Pearl is. Is there somewhere on the ship where you can fill up a reusable bottle (and keep it in the fridge)? Is the water in the cabins good enough for brushing teeth or if one of my boys needs a quick drink before bed? I hate to pay what they are charging for bottled water, but if it is a safety issue, of course I will.

We were on the Pearl and had no water problems. We took a couple of tervis cups and filled them up from sink and placed in the refrigerator. The water is drinkable.

I used a refillable bottle on the Pearl in 2015. By the end of day 4, my fingers and ankles swelled so much I lost mobility from the sodium and chlorine in the water.

I've drank bottled water (that I carried on) with the occasional glass of ships water with a meal twice on the Pearl and once on a different ship ever since and have had not had the same issue.

I used a refillable bottle on the Pearl in 2015. By the end of day 4, my fingers and ankles swelled so much I lost mobility from the sodium and chlorine in the water.

I've drank bottled water (that I carried on) with the occasional glass of ships water with a meal twice on the Pearl and once on a different ship ever since and have had not had the same issue.

I wonder if any of those water filter bottles would help get rid of the sodium? I know they help with the chlorine.

I recently cruised on the Pearl and I drank the water with meals and brushed my teeth with the tap. It's not some third world country and I'd worry about the person that touched the tongs before you in the buffet line before I had second thoughts about drinking ship water.

I was on board June 19th to 26th. I drank it at meals and sink water was fine but we were still allowed to carry on a case of water then so we didn't drink that much of it.

My biggest complaint would be excursions. I carried 3 or 4 16 oz bottles with us when we went on excursions. Water access in some of those locations doesn't exist and $4.95 for a 32 oz water is ridiculous considering I paid $2.99 for the 40-16 ounce bottles we took on board.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Pearl will be in dry dock at some point between Feb 6, 2017 and March 10, 2017.

The Sixthman Walker Stalker Charter is on the Pearl from Feb 2-6 and the Pitbull charter is on the Pearl March 10-13. All the charters in between are on the Jade out of Tampa instead to accommodate the dry dock.

Pearl is scheduled for a Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami for 3/3-3/10/17. So excited to go...it's a BFF girls vacation for me and my friends. I sailed on the Jewel over Christmas in 2014.... Couldn't wait to get back on a ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder if any of those water filter bottles would help get rid of the sodium? I know they help with the chlorine.

I've done research on that and they do not help with sodium, though you are right they take out some of the chlorine.

I have one and I find it very tough to drink out of. Just like a filtered pitcher pours slowly, it takes a lot of work to get the water out, so I find myself rarely using it.

Pearl is scheduled for a Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami for 3/3-3/10/17. So excited to go...it's a BFF girls vacation for me and my friends. I sailed on the Jewel over Christmas in 2014.... Couldn't wait to get back on a ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on the Pearl for the Western Car. too that week! Very excited as it will be our first Suite! :)

I've done research on that and they do not help with sodium, though you are right they take out some of the chlorine.

I have one and I find it very tough to drink out of. Just like a filtered pitcher pours slowly, it takes a lot of work to get the water out, so I find myself rarely using it.

Thanks, I didn't think they would but wasn't 100% sure, though it was a much more cumbersome process that a normal filter could handle. If they filter on the way out I would just use it to filter the water and as it filters have it pour into a container that could be put in the fridge to keep it cold.

One thing I hated about my 10 cup Brita water pitcher is how long it took to filter (they have since gotten faster filters) that I would actually filter water with the 10 cup then pour it into a larger container and keep that in the fridge so it was always cold. I eventually replaced it with the 18 cup dispenser.

I was on board June 19th to 26th. I drank it at meals and sink water was fine but we were still allowed to carry on a case of water then so we didn't drink that much of it.

My biggest complaint would be excursions. I carried 3 or 4 16 oz bottles with us when we went on excursions. Water access in some of those locations doesn't exist and $4.95 for a 32 oz water is ridiculous considering I paid $2.99 for the 40-16 ounce bottles we took on board.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What we have done in the past is use 24 ounce insulated water bottles. You could fill them up with ice and water before you leave the ship. I do not believe there is any issue being water off the ship, just on. So you would just dump any remaining water coming back. We take three and generally have plenty of water.

We did the same on the Pearl back in April. The water was perfectly fine (no ankle swelling for us, our tummies were a different story...). Filled our 42 ounce water bottle with ice and then water (I may not have used a fresh cup every time, but I always made sure that my cup was at least 2-3" away from the water spigot/ice dispenser). I also went to lesser used water dispensers in the Garden Cafe or away from the main buffet area and I would step aside if anyone ever wanted a single cup of water). I don't think the filling process took more than 2 minutes, max. And this way, we always had icy cold water to drink at super hot ports.

What we have done in the past is use 24 ounce insulated water bottles. You could fill them up with ice and water before you leave the ship. I do not believe there is any issue being water off the ship, just on. So you would just dump any remaining water coming back. We take three and generally have plenty of water.
Edited by atomax

When I was last aboard the Pearl' date=' there was no Haven dining room -- breakfast and lunch for Haven guests was served in either Cagney's or Moderno. Has that changed?[/quote']

Nope, hasn't changed. As of June 26th lunch on disembarkation day was in Cagney's and the rest of the week breakfast and lunch was in Moderno.