Pearl Tips and Secrets

g35girl

Did you hear anything else about what was going to be done during the dry dock?

Don

Only what I've read here. (where I got the bowling alley info - it might not be true at all and they might remove both halves...who knows?) There has been some speculation (also, on here...you can hunt and find it if you like) that they like eliminating places like the Spinnaker Lounge to create more cabins/suites. That would be a pity... It's a great place.

Only what I've read here. (where I got the bowling alley info - it might not be true at all and they might remove both halves...who knows?) There has been some speculation (also, on here...you can hunt and find it if you like) that they like eliminating places like the Spinnaker Lounge to create more cabins/suites. That would be a pity... It's a great place.

Thanks

I have been searching for the dry dock updates. Was just wondering if you had heard anything different since dry dock is only two months away.

Sailing on the Pearl in August to Alaska.

Don

I would be shocked if they removed Spinnaker on the Pearl. Unlike the other jewel class ships, it's used heavily by the music charters and when she sails in Alaska. So I think it's quite possible that the Pearl will retain the Spinnaker even if the others do not.

Which are the better choices for the extra cost restaurants

We were on the Jewel (sister ship) a few months ago, and like a lot of people, we chose the dining package (did not pay out of pocket).

The restaurants were all really good. I think our favorites were Moderno (really good salad bar, tasty meats, although you may have to nag them to bring more). Teppanyaki was also excellent (although you could get the same type of meal on land for around their $20 price). I think we got surf and turf and the shrimp and other seafood portion was really meaty and good quality.

My porterhouse at Cagney's was good, but not earth shattering. But many people love Cagney's the most. Maybe next time I'd get a different cut.

Le Bistro good too, I think I had lamb chops.

We're pondering doing the Pearl over Thanksgiving, thus I've been reading up on it...

Le Bistro good too, I think I had lamb chops.

We're pondering doing the Pearl over Thanksgiving, thus I've been reading up on it...

Same here. We are thinking about the Pearl over Thanksgiving also. We love the Gem, I believe that is a sister ship also.

Did you check out the sailing the first week of December? Same price for 9 days as the 7 day over Thanksgiving. We are not sure which we are going to do.

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread! Thank you all. Can't wait until our Alaska sailing on 7/2!

I have a question that hopefully can be answered by UK cruisers. The 'country breakfast' at O'Sheehans sounds close enough to a Full English. It has baked beans and grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. Are they British baked beans? This is important and American and British baked beans are SO different. I'll assume that the sausages and bacon aren't? British baked beans might make it close enough for my English husband to be in breakfast heaven and the others would just be a bonus.

Also, now that the Pearl is out of dry dock, would love to hear reviews/thoughts and pics.

Lastly, we have a family balcony on deck 10. The family balconies were the only balconies left. Does this mean we're going to be around more kids? Pros and cons to the family balcony as to a normal balcony? An Aft Balcony would have been our preference but they were sold out.

• 1 month later...

Finding all this information useful. We are on Pearl in November and it will be my 20th cruise but only second with NCL. Was so disappointed last NCL, but decided to try again - after reading all these postings on this thread - I am excited.

Same here. We are thinking about the Pearl over Thanksgiving also. We love the Gem, I believe that is a sister ship also.

Did you check out the sailing the first week of December? Same price for 9 days as the 7 day over Thanksgiving. We are not sure which we are going to do.

turns out our kids are in school part of Thanksgiving week, so it's a no-go for us. If we could go anytime, we'd definitely go when you can get the best bang for the buck. We like everything about ncl except for that their rooms are ridiculously small, and they don't seem to have basic rooms with 2 pull-down beds. It looks like this will keep us off of ncl (or most of their ships) for a while.