Best way to visit Cape Canaveral/KSC?

Cruiser523

(I hope this is the right forum section for this...)

I'll be on Quantum of the Seas next month and our first stop is Port Canaveral. There are 5 of us (myself included) who'd like to visit the Kennedy Space Center. The cruise line offers an excursion for $80, which seems a bit high considering the normal rate for entry to KSC is $50. However, I don't know what they might include in their excursioun that might not be included if we were to rent a car and go there ourselves. So here are my questions:

1) Is it a reasonable option to rent a car at Port Canaveral to drive to KSC? My understanding is that a cab ride would be about $50 each way, where a car rental for the day is probably around $50.

2) If that's the case, would there be enough time for some of us (who have been there before) to take the regular (included) bus tour and also one of the "up close" tours? (I've been there 2 or 3 times, and I'd like to do either the Firing Room Up Close tour or one of the other Up Close tours.

3) If we took the cruise line excursion, would there be time for either of the up close tours?

Other suggestions? Thanks!

I'll be on Quantum of the Seas next month and our first stop is Port Canaveral. There are 5 of us (myself included) who'd like to visit the Kennedy Space Center. The cruise line offers an excursion for $80, which seems a bit high considering the normal rate for entry to KSC is $50. However, I don't know what they might include in their excursioun that might not be included if we were to rent a car and go there ourselves. So here are my questions:

1) Is it a reasonable option to rent a car at Port Canaveral to drive to KSC? My understanding is that a cab ride would be about $50 each way, where a car rental for the day is probably around $50.

2) If that's the case, would there be enough time for some of us (who have been there before) to take the regular (included) bus tour and also one of the "up close" tours? (I've been there 2 or 3 times, and I'd like to do either the Firing Room Up Close tour or one of the other Up Close tours.

3) If we took the cruise line excursion, would there be time for either of the up close tours?

With 5 you'll probably require a mini van or SUV. Your probably still better with the ship's tour because know you'll on board when the ship sails that evening.

With 5 you'll probably require a mini van or SUV. Your probably still better with the ship's tour because know you'll on board when the ship sails that evening.

5 of us will fit in a regular car (6 would likely be a problem), especially since it looks like it's a pretty short ride.

And normally, I'd agree 100% about taking the excursion and not worrying about missing the ship, but we get into port at 8:30 AM and don't leave until 9 PM so that's not a concern this time.

There is talk of rental car counter in the new terminal, probably not available next month though:o

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Carnival Pride last summer and we rented a car from Avis, picked up at the port and then headed to the office to get our car. We had to wait a few minutes for the shuttle but if I remember correctly KSC doesn't open till 10 am anyway. Our ship left at 5 so we left the park at 3:30 and still made it in plenty of time. Carnival price was $99 per, we used a coupon and got in to park for $40, rental was $50 plus a few bucks for gas and tip. Car rental was easy.... Hate piling in a bus with. 60-80 others and paying that much more...

We were on the Carnival Pride last summer and we rented a car from Avis, picked up at the port and then headed to the office to get our car. We had to wait a few minutes for the shuttle but if I remember correctly KSC doesn't open till 10 am anyway. Our ship left at 5 so we left the park at 3:30 and still made it in plenty of time. Carnival price was $99 per, we used a coupon and got in to park for $40, rental was $50 plus a few bucks for gas and tip. Car rental was easy.... Hate piling in a bus with. 60-80 others and paying that much more...

Thanks, good information!

I'm trying to fit a KSC trip in our itinerary as well. How many hours minimum is recommended to stay there?

Also where can I find the $10 discount for admission?

Dont know about the discount but we were there from 10-3 and felt like we saw most of it.

At Avis they had those tour books/pamphlets and we found the coupon in there...

Nice. They are running a November special for residents of the County for $15.00. Still paid $10 to park, bought $10 worth of food, and $10 worth of stuff!

It was a great day. I had not been in 11 years and the Atlantis show alone was amazing.

the up close tours typically run around 2 - 2.5 hours and the regular included tour around 2 hours but leaves every 15 minutes, but that does not include standing in line time . . up close tours don't leave NEARLY as often and are not first come first served ... they are by booked time

for the 'up-close' stuff reservations are strongly recommended

the place is open today from 9 to 5 (example) ... there IS time to do both and I've done it. Book the special tour early and hope for the best on the 'regular' ... you'll get on but it might be late ... you HAVE the time. OR book the up-close LATE and get in line for the regular as soon as you get there . .

The KSC Bus Tour is included with admission and departs every 15 minutes from the Visitor Complex. The tour is self-guided, allowing guests to depart the bus and spend as much time as desired at the Apollo/Saturn V Center before boarding another bus back to the Visitor Complex.

Tour Length: 1.5 - 2.5 hours

Guided and KSC Up-Close Tours (guided, additional fee)

Kennedy Space Center guided tours are also available for those with special interests - and allow you to take an up close look at specific aspects of Kennedy Space Center. Guided tours are led by trained space experts and sell out daily. Tours ends at the Apollo/Saturn V Center. Reservations are strongly suggested. Reserve online or call 866.737.5235

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tours/general-bus-tour.aspx

p.s. rent the car . . . with ship not leaving 'til 9 you will have time for a RonJon run!

p.s.2 I think "then and now" is the best tour ... here you actually go to the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and see the OLD launch houses .... Mercury and Gemini stuff . . . very cool and runs LESS often. Special restrictions apply: https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tours/ksc-up-close-then-and-now-tour.aspx

Edited by Capt_BJ

well ... ignore most of my previous post (was not fast enuf for the edit cops here!!!!)

from the KSC visitor center site (buried in the fine print):

When choosing a KSC Up-Close tour, there is no need to take the KSC Bus Tour included with daily admission

I guess the specials cover all the 'included' ground . . . never noticed that but it HAS been a while since I took the 'included' tour. I only go on "locals free" days!

Edited by Capt_BJ

well ... ignore most of my previous post (was not fast enuf for the edit cops here!!!!)

from the KSC visitor center site (buried in the fine print):

When choosing a KSC Up-Close tour, there is no need to take the KSC Bus Tour included with daily admission

I guess the specials cover all the 'included' ground . . . never noticed that but it HAS been a while since I took the 'included' tour. I only go on "locals free" days!

Thanks Capt BJ. Great information, and I certainly missed the part about not needing to take the regular bus tour as well.

And thanks to everyone else for their comments as well!