On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

We're booked at the Hilton Moorea in a Panoramic OWB this Oct and I wish it was only $266. It's more like triple that! :o

I envy you going to Moorea - one of our favorite islands. The rates I cited were from a quick look at Trip Advisor - but they may have been for a different category of room. Having booked a room you are certainly more aware of the actual price. Enjoy!:D

Fantastic Review (couldn't stop laughing...loved you humour) and great photos.

Moorea & Tahiti are beautiful we were lucky enough to spend 7 days on Moorea in an overwater bungalow 10 years ago, and it is paradise. Then we discovered cruising but would love to go back again..my wife is part tahitian so I'm sure we will venture back again.

SailorJack -

You are correct - your Trip Advisor rate for the Hilton Moorea differs from mine due to the room type.

This cruise/Moorea stay is for our 40th and, as many believe, it may be our one and only visit to FP so we are splurging on the top OWB (which also, like many, is on our bucket list).

But we've also already talked that, again like many, we will love it so much that this one and only trip will be the first of several more...

And we're eager to hear more of your story and see more of your pictures. It's both a learning opportunity and and excitement builder for us.

Fantastic Review (couldn't stop laughing...loved you humour) and great photos.

Moorea & Tahiti are beautiful we were lucky enough to spend 7 days on Moorea in an overwater bungalow 10 years ago' date=' and it is paradise. Then we discovered cruising but would love to go back again..my wife is part tahitian so I'm sure we will venture back again.[/quote']

Glad you enjoyed it. Of all the places we visited on this cruise, Moorea and Maui are the two that we really want to back too and spend some time. Not that we would turn down the chance to visit any of the other islands!:)

We have had the pleasure of visiting Auckland and the north part of the island for a few days several years ago, but did not have the opportunity to get down your way. You have some beautiful country there and visiting NZ again is on our bucket list.

Jack

SailorJack -

You are correct - your Trip Advisor rate for the Hilton Moorea differs from mine due to the room type.

This cruise/Moorea stay is for our 40th and, as many believe, it may be our one and only visit to FP so we are splurging on the top OWB (which also, like many, is on our bucket list).

But we've also already talked that, again like many, we will love it so much that this one and only trip will be the first of several more...

And we're eager to hear more of your story and see more of your pictures. It's both a learning opportunity and and excitement builder for us.

Congratulations on your 40th! It's taking some time to edit the underwater photos, but I hope to post some tomorrow.

The sharks make their appearance!

16468191943_5d32e718b7_b.jpg

We were told that these were Black-Tipped Reef Sharks.

16902126629_9f33172cf1_b.jpg

They look beautiful - deadly, but beautiful.

16900576478_69aa86733c_b.jpg

I think the fish swimming underneath the shark is a Remora.

17088353575_7591eda2a7_b.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Awesome pictures!

Glad you are enjoying them. Jill and I both Scuba, but this was the closest we have ever gotten to a shark. The photos of them are some of my favorite from the trip. We are planning a safari trip to South Africa latter this year and one of the options is a cage dive for Great Whites - so I may have a chance to get even closer to one.:eek:

After about 20 minutes the sharks started circling closer to the boat.

16910601390_b5ef9b0e94_b.jpg

And closer...

16910379228_4a9daaecfb_b.jpg

A gull swings low looking for some of the fish that we are feeding the rays.

17072204146_4f0879495c_b.jpg

One of the things that surprised me was how safely the rays and sharks intermingled. Here you can see them swimming within inches of each other.

17098159105_577d840aa4_b.jpg

After our fun in the sun with Rays and Sharks we head to Hiro's private Motu (island). To get there we wailed between a number of small Motus.

16922591389_cf903dbf9e_b.jpg

Ever wonder what paradise looks like.....

17082829636_3b65919533_b.jpg

Our private beach is coming up.

17082832016_7746e1f28d_b.jpg

Hello Sailorjack. We are really enjoying your detailed review. We are booked for the Hiro tour in November. We are concerned that there is enough seating on the catamaran for all the people who want to go back to the pier from the motu at 3pm. It seems he takes 3 tours in the morning but only 2 tours returning to the pier. Can you offer any insights on this?

Thanks

Hello Sailorjack. We are really enjoying your detailed review. We are booked for the Hiro tour in November. We are concerned that there is enough seating on the catamaran for all the people who want to go back to the pier from the motu at 3pm. It seems he takes 3 tours in the morning but only 2 tours returning to the pier. Can you offer any insights on this?

Thanks

The boat that drops us off at the Motu leaves and goes back to the pier to pick up the next tour. Those on the first tour have the option of staying on the Motu and taking the boat back when it returns with the second tour. Not everybody takes the boat back, so obviously, the second boat will have additional riders on it. I cannot comment on how many were on the second boat back as we took the first boat back.

However, to the very best of my recollection, the ride back to the pier took no more than one half hour (if that). So, if for some reason the second boat was full, there would be plenty of time to unload and come back to pick up anyone left behind. As I have not heard of anyone having trouble getting back to the ship I assume that this really was not an issue.

Also, I don't think the ride out took three hours. The Motu is relatively close to the pier and the only stop was for a half hour or so to swim with the rays. Perhaps others on the tour can comment on this. Most of the time spent on the tour was on the beach - swimming, snorkeling, eating lunch, feeding the chickens - and apparently drinking lots of beer.

The only issue that I heard about was that the first tour drank most of the beer and that there was a limited supply for the second tour.:eek:

Hope all this helps,

Jack

The boat that drops us off at the Motu leaves and goes back to the pier to pick up the next tour. Those on the first tour have the option of staying on the Motu and taking the boat back when it returns with the second tour. Not everybody takes the boat back, so obviously, the second boat will have additional riders on it. I cannot comment on how many were on the second boat back as we took the first boat back.

However, to the very best of my recollection, the ride back to the pier took no more than one half hour (if that). So, if for some reason the second boat was full, there would be plenty of time to unload and come back to pick up anyone left behind. As I have not heard of anyone having trouble getting back to the ship I assume that this really was not an issue.

Also, I don't think the ride out took three hours. The Motu is relatively close to the pier and the only stop was for a half hour or so to swim with the rays. Perhaps others on the tour can comment on this. Most of the time spent on the tour was on the beach - swimming, snorkeling, eating lunch, feeding the chickens - and apparently drinking lots of beer.

The only issue that I heard about was that the first tour drank most of the beer and that there was a limited supply for the second tour.:eek:

Hope all this helps,

Jack

Jack, thank you so much. Its good to know the pier is only 1/2 hour away from his motu. We will probably take the first tour back to the pier.

Regards, Joyce

Jack, thank you so much. Its good to know the pier is only 1/2 hour away from his motu. We will probably take the first tour back to the pier.

Regards, Joyce

Enjoy...I will be with you in spirit. You are in for a wonderful treat! Wish I was going back.

Another fabulous review and the pictures of the sharks were unbelievable. I need to do this trip! Does Princess do it every year?

Thanks.

I think Princess runs this every year, as I spoke with one woman on the cruise who had done the itinerary 3 times. I know they are doing it again next year. If you are interested, I am sure there is roll call for it.

Our boat pulls up to the beach of our own private Motu and we prepare to go ashore for a great day of swimming, bar-b-que and beachcombing.

17144471652_a737f50357_b.jpg

Now, picture this....you have just had an amazing time swimming with Sharks and Rays (no, that's not two gangs in New York) and you are now on your own private Motu in the South Pacific. What could be greater than to wade out into the warm waters of the Pacific with a nice cold beer! Unless of course.......

16958526020_c058af343f_b.jpg

Its TWO nice glasses of ice cold beer!

16959859499_6c162af498_b.jpg

Thank you Sailor Jack for this wonderfully detailed review and photos.

I will be doing this exact cruise in the fall and now look forward to it even more. I've started from the beginning and read through, taking notes as I go.

Can I ask what kind of underwater camera you used for the last ray/shark shots? The pics are amazingly clear. Great job.

I think I will leave my proper camera back on the ship for these types of tours, I'd hate to risk water damage and am thinking of investing in a good little waterproof camera.

Sorry to see the thread winding down at the end of the cruise. :(:)

There were Rays everywhere, and after all the years of being fed, they were quite used to people.

16858998667_d9302e8fcf_b.jpg

17064926562_41efb86c0f_b.jpg

A Ray, up close and personal.

16880180899_82e6399fd6_b.jpg

What fabulous pictures you have shared with us. Thank you so much for letting us come on your cruise with you. Each group of pictures is better than the last. The rays are so close I feel like I could reach out and touch one. Can't wait for your next adventure.

Mimi

Thank you Sailor Jack for this wonderfully detailed review and photos.

I will be doing this exact cruise in the fall and now look forward to it even more. I've started from the beginning and read through, taking notes as I go.

Can I ask what kind of underwater camera you used for the last ray/shark shots? The pics are amazingly clear. Great job.

I think I will leave my proper camera back on the ship for these types of tours, I'd hate to risk water damage and am thinking of investing in a good little waterproof camera.

Sorry to see the thread winding down at the end of the cruise. :(:)

The camera I use is an Olympus Tough TG-3

16534322434_6a6fd77238_o.jpg

It is a great little camera - waterproof to 50 feet and has built in GPS and Wi-Fi. I think I paid $349 (maybe $399 - can't remember for sure)for it and it came with card, case, and extra battery. It is fairly popular camera - I saw several people on the cruise using it.

If you get an underwater camera, go online and read up on taking shots underwater. There are a few differences that can make your pictures a little better.

Edited by SailorJack

What fabulous pictures you have shared with us. Thank you so much for letting us come on your cruise with you. Each group of pictures is better than the last. The rays are so close I feel like I could reach out and touch one. Can't wait for your next adventure.

Mimi

The pictures of the Rays and Sharks are some of my favorites. I am glad you enjoyed them as much as I did.

Once ashore, our guide reviewed the activities on the Motu - lunch, snorkeling, return trip, etc.

16981753699_b3953b71f7_b.jpg

We also had a demonstration of how one piece of material could be used to make several different types of island clothing - from pants to dresses to cover ups. It really was quite amazing would he could do with that simple wrap.

17167907095_946fae33ae_b.jpg

And of course there was the warm South Pacific waters to romp in - swim, snorkel, or just plain wade. All in all it was a perfect way to spend a day in Paradise.

17167323031_fcf751bf29_b.jpg