On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

Bloody Mary's is quite a way from the ship and is not really wihin walking distance. We shared a cab with 2 other couples so the fare was only a few dollars each.

By the way, I like your screen name....either you have two adorable dogs (cats?) or a highly unusual octopus?:D

Jack

We've got two sweet cats......we use the octopus to throw on the ice at the Red Wings hockey games

Loving your review. Thanks so much! This cruise is on my Bucket List. I hope to do this itinerary on Princes or Holland America. I am aware of you booking last minute, and I am wondering your thoughts on this, in retrospect. I am considering the same thing as we would be booking an inside or OV(at most). I would appreciate any thoughts you want to share. Thanks. Also, what category did you book and end up with? Were you satisfied with your location? ETA: The primary reason for last minute booking would be due to the POSSIBLE cost saving.

Marie

Glad you are enjoying it.

As you said, we tend to book last minute and are usually lucky in getting good rates. For this cruise we booked about 30 days out and I think we paid a little less than $100 a night (each) for a balcony cabin - before taxes. Our cabin was towards the bow and it was perfect for the entire 29 days we were on the ship. The only possible disadvantage (to us) would be trying to get good airfares at the last minute, but we lucked out on that as well. We always book a "guarantee."

If you are more particular about cabin location - (aft, midship, forward) or deck level for instance, then last minute booking really isn't your best option.

Caveat: On some sailings the last minute price is not always the lowest price for that particular cruise. On very popular cruises prices can go up.

Hopefully, I answered your question. If not, let me know and I will try again.

Jack

Glad you are enjoying it.

As you said, we tend to book last minute and are usually lucky in getting good rates. For this cruise we booked about 30 days out and I think we paid a little less than $100 a night (each) for a balcony cabin - before taxes. Our cabin was towards the bow and it was perfect for the entire 29 days we were on the ship. The only possible disadvantage (to us) would be trying to get good airfares at the last minute, but we lucked out on that as well. We always book a "guarantee."

If you are more particular about cabin location - (aft, midship, forward) or deck level for instance, then last minute booking really isn't your best option.

Caveat: On some sailings the last minute price is not always the lowest price for that particular cruise. On very popular cruises prices can go up.

Hopefully, I answered your question. If not, let me know and I will try again.

Jack

Jack, this is very helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

As I mentioned before, we dodged rain showers throughout the day in Bora Bora, so long scenic shots kind of got washed out, but here are some shots of the beautiful shoreline on the island. But you can see how lush the vegetation is on the island.

17352665686_1c7ab81549_b.jpg

16756091914_4469fa7e4c_b.jpg

And the very famous hotels rooms out over the water.

17378719275_3be69c5be0_b.jpg

The other couple on our tour had purchased a day pass at (as I recall) the Intercontinental Hotel. It was a very nice looking place and had a great beach. They were doing some construction on the beach while we were there and while they were getting their gear unloaded we had time for a quick look around. Security kept us from seeing the gardens and the pool area, but they did have a nice sandy beach. We were sorry to see our companions leave, but we then had a private tour for the rest of the day.:)

17182792947_c2c3ce42e7_b.jpg

16767770044_f7c8a551e9_b.jpg

17182840407_ec22bfb177_b.jpg

Hotel guest were sitting under some cover as a rain squall passed overhead and watching the work on the beach.

17364312276_0794b0d4be_b.jpg

No, just the regular toys - baking soda submarine, battleship, rubber ducky (the rubber ducky photo came out real good!):D

:eek:

I don't really think any of us want to see your "rubber ducky" :eek: :p

While some of the higher peaks were hidden by clouds, one could still marvel at the lush jungle foliage which came down to the shoreline. It was quite a serene drive going around the island. With the clouds constantly shifting - lowering and lifting - you could stand in the same spot and be presented with entirely different perspectives of the countryside. It really made for an interesting tour.

17215598508_aa2436855e_b.jpg

17377404716_d60fcb03f0_b.jpg

17403374695_c9911a9a59_b.jpg

No, just the regular toys - baking soda submarine, battleship, rubber ducky (the rubber ducky photo came out real good!):D

Man, that brings back some memories...you used to get them in boxes of cereals. :)

Our tour around the island included snacks! Here are driver pulled over to the side and picked a peck of bananas that were growing wild along side of the road.

17236619870_217d1871cc_b.jpg

The bananas were rather small ( you can see a couple in my hand off to the right), but they were delicious! (and free:))

17236747280_7f6d99499b_b.jpg

Our driver later stopped and picked up some mangos to snack on. They were so good we took a couple back to the ship to have with our wine out on our balcony (sounds nice, doesn't it.:)) In so doing I inadvertently joined that small group of eccentrics that actually brings food onto a cruise ship!

17423842901_6e1550cb0d_b.jpg

These photos were taken on the East side of the island - which is a little more remote, but has some beautiful beaches.

17452887545_7defc5946c_b.jpg

No tour would be complete without a stop at a church, and this one was very stately and quite nice inside.

17265524218_900cfe89ce_b.jpg

16830742544_fe2b94d6a4_b.jpg

I have absolutely no recollection of why I took this photo other than our guide mentioned that the rocks had some mystic history attached to them - but I cannot remember the details. I will leave it up to the next tour group to gather the information.:)

16830334824_3e8f570dc5_b.jpg

Thanks for the beautiful flowers,I am so enjoying your review and wonderful pictures:)

You are more than welcome. I have always been a fan of tropical flowers and FP has some beautiful ones.

Lovely flowers and wonderful review. Thank you! :)

The flowers here were great, but there was a much greater variety in Papeete in some delightful gardens.

Wine and mangos on a cruise ship in French Polynesia...I guess under those circumstances bringing food onboard is OK.:)

Well, the ship often announces that you cannot take food ashore, but I have never heard an announcement about not bringing food aboard!:)

Our day in Bora Bora had to come to an end and the tender took us back to the ship under the day's ever present cloudy skys.

17557309821_53e91a2c54_b.jpg

A couple of shots of the Crown - at rest in the harbor.

17369830040_ce966d3e7d_b.jpg

17369827310_df4f8c373f_b.jpg

The sun sets under clearing skys and we are off to Papeete.

17369821440_35cef42d6c_b.jpg

We are at our last stop - TAHITI! I have been wanting to visit Tahiti for years and we are up on the deck before dawn so as not to miss a moment of our visit.

Here, the sun is coming up over Tahiti Nui - the largest of the two islands that make up Tahiti.

16978814483_e71f707bbd_b.jpg

Our first view of Papeete the capitol city.

17599069521_c3ef47d83c_b.jpg

The town is still asleep and it looks like we are going to have perfect weather.

17572675426_e07bc073f0_b.jpg