On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

Just discovered this thread a couple of hours ago and couldn't stop reading. I always enjoy your hilarious cruise reports and somehow had missed this one.

I am doing a similar cruise on HAL next year and you have me convinced I need an underwater camera. Your pictures are amazing!

Thanks for posting!

Glad you enjoyed it. More pictures coming as soon as I can edit them.

I've enjoyed this thread, too, and it does have lots of good ideas for those of use who haven't been to what sound like wonderful ports. Definitely an underwater camera. I had one for our Antarctica expedition, but traded it in after. Wish I had hung onto it!

Looking forward to touching the rays...

Thanks, Scrapnana, for pointing us in this direction.

Glad you are enjoying it. Underwater cameras are becoming very inexpensive. You can get one for around $200 and up. They are also excellent for regular photography... many of the pictures I am posting were taken with Jill's "underwater" camera - which makes it a pretty good buy. Just a thought.:)

Jack

I'll bet Chin Ho Kelly would have liked it, too! :cool:

OK, you got me...I don't recall Chin Ho (probably should, but I don't).

BTW...should have the next batch of photos edited this evening and can start posting them tomorrow.

Some final pictures from the water garden before we headed out for the rest of the island. Obviously, I was quite taken with this stop and look forward to visiting it again.

18232078411_517ca91d1e_b.jpg

18232074791_696900cafc_b.jpg

17608187704_b59e832066_b.jpg

And one last flower!:)

18230830565_799001e957_b.jpg

Leaving the water garden we soon came upon some of the scenery for which Tahiti is famous.

17644046474_8ae419f934_b.jpg

A small river came down from the hills.

17644030624_03ca20b096_b.jpg

And made its way down to the beach. Unfortunately, pictures cannot convey how lovely this island is. The warm weather, the lush vegetation and the scenery made this tour one of our best.

18266645485_2191c9e931_b.jpg

I couldn't resist taking photos of the stunning flowers in the garden!

18195057505_c2f2c2b528_b.jpg

What a beautiful flower. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. Do you remember its name?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I ever knew the name. There were no signs by the plants or I surely would have written it down. It was a gorgeous flower!

Look what I found on google:

Sorry for the size!

The center looked like a ginger flower to me so I googled (or searched on yahoo - same thing) - ginger flowers and found it!

We've been to the island of Tahiti and Papeete about 4 times and never knew about this garden.

Must be time to go back! :D

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVi7TOWpV3NUALA8nnIlQ;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTY4NwRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1tb3ppbGxhLTAwNQRncHJpZANIdEJYT3dCYlRxQzhId3NEOEVOd3ZBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMxMARvcmlnaW4Dc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMQRwcXN0cgNnaW5nZXIgIGZsb3dlcnMEcHFzdHJsAzE1BHFzdHJsAzE0BHF1ZXJ5A2dpbmdlciBmbG93ZXJzBHRfc3RtcAMxNDMzMDI0OTky?p=ginger+flowers&fr2=sa-gp-search&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

Ginger_flower%2B%25288%2529.jpg

I also look forward each day to reading this fabulous report and viewing the pictures. We will be in Tahiti on the Crown in November and haven't decided on a tour yet. Are there a lot of taxis available at the port? How long is a tour and what should we expect to pay?

Thank you

Bill

The island of Tahiti is amazing. There is a road than runs around the island (the one we are on) and on one side of the road are the amazing mountain vistas as shown in the previous pictures, and on the other side of the road is the fantastic shoreline.

18305163395_b23baa1ba1_b.jpg

17682525514_5fff86e91b_b.jpg

A hidden cove and a private little beach. With a little imagination we can all picture ourselves on the beach with a margarita - or maybe a pina colada.:)

18301271472_191acc7a2a_b.jpg

Look what I found on google:

Sorry for the size!

The center looked like a ginger flower to me so I googled (or searched on yahoo - same thing) - ginger flowers and found it!

We've been to the island of Tahiti and Papeete about 4 times and never knew about this garden.

Must be time to go back! :D

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVi7TOWpV3NUALA8nnIlQ;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTY4NwRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1tb3ppbGxhLTAwNQRncHJpZANIdEJYT3dCYlRxQzhId3NEOEVOd3ZBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMxMARvcmlnaW4Dc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMQRwcXN0cgNnaW5nZXIgIGZsb3dlcnMEcHFzdHJsAzE1BHFzdHJsAzE0BHF1ZXJ5A2dpbmdlciBmbG93ZXJzBHRfc3RtcAMxNDMzMDI0OTky?p=ginger+flowers&fr2=sa-gp-search&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

Ginger_flower%2B%25288%2529.jpg

Excellent detective work! Your picture is gorgeous. Now that you now about the water garden you have a good excuse for visit number 5!:)

For our second stop our guide teased us by saying he was going to show us something special, but wouldn't tell us what it was. He parked the car and we had to cross over a bridge that had a padlocked chain across it. Our guide would not cross the bridge with us, but told us to go on without him.

After crossing the bridge, we followed a trail through a thicket of bamboo and saplings.

18346601415_8633590a47_b.jpg

We came to a small stream.

17725931793_a099a11788_b.jpg

That became two streams. The water was so clear, clean and cool that we were tempted to stop and take a drink.

18346594785_ff5a83d38d_b.jpg

Pictures coming as soon as I can edit them.

Sailor Jack - Wonderful review. So look forward to reading your reviews. We are doing this (similar) cruise in September. Can you post the names of private tours you used please?

Your Photos and review bring back fond memories of my favorite cruise and favorite places. I really want to go there again.

When you look in the dictionary for "paradise" the definition is "See the Polynesian Islands"

( or it should be!) :D