On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

It won't be as hard as you might think.

It's also his favorite place in the world.

If this cruise were offered in February there would be no convincing needed - it's just the Fall and Spring times that don't work so well for us.

As I am sure you are aware, Princess runs shorter cruises out of Papeete - some are round trip and some go on to Hawaii. I think the cruises are 10 days.

Also there is a ship - the Aranui -that sails out of Papeete and visits the smaller islands in FP. It is a supply ship and carries a couple dozen passengers. We looked at this cruise in the past and may wind up taking it down the road.

As I am sure you are aware, Princess runs shorter cruises out of Papeete - some are round trip and some go on to Hawaii. I think the cruises are 10 days.

Also there is a ship - the Aranui -that sails out of Papeete and visits the smaller islands in FP. It is a supply ship and carries a couple dozen passengers. We looked at this cruise in the past and may wind up taking it down the road.

We had looked at the Aranui also - amazing ports, but a little too pricy for us.:(

Our other two cruises were like what you described.

First one was 20 days on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Cook Islands then Marquesa Islands.

Second one was 28 days on the old Royal Princess - Hawaii to Tahiti and then round trip Tahiti.

Both were in February.

If we're going to fly that far we want to cruise for longer than 10 days! ;)

The beauty of your cruise is that we only have to fly to LA.

I am firmly convinced that if Princess doesn't offer something long (like part of a world cruise) in the winter of 2017 or 2018 we will be taking that wonderful 28 day round trip in the fall of 2018! :D

The eastern shore of Nuku Hiva is dominated by rocky cliffs and is not inhabited.

20237766910_e10e26393a_b.jpg

20425826535_9b5e386702_b.jpg

Here you can start to see some of the grasslands that populate the interior of the island. The interior of the island features tall mountains with waterfalls that are so tall that it is said the water evaporates before it hits the ground.

20425823695_56383e21cd_b.jpg

I'll be doing a review but I very much doubt it will be as detailed and interesting as yours!

I also purchased a new underwater camera because of your wonderful shots. Thank you. Now I have three cameras and an Iphone to bring along! :eek:If I can get half the lovely photos and enjoyment from our cruise as you have, I will be one happy camper. ;)

Technology has taken over our lives. When we took our first cruise we had one camera. Now we have to take three cameras, two cell phones, two iPads, four battery chargers and an extra power pack. Not to mention electric hair curlers, tooth brushes, and razors!

That said, I am sure your photos will be perfect and I look forward to seeing them.

Jack

We had looked at the Aranui also - amazing ports, but a little too pricy for us.:(

That was the deciding factor for us. The cruise sort of evoked the feeling of the old days when you could sail on a tramp steamer, but in the end, we just couldn't justify the outlay.

Our other two cruises were like what you described.

First one was 20 days on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Cook Islands then Marquesa Islands.

Second one was 28 days on the old Royal Princess - Hawaii to Tahiti and then round trip Tahiti.

Both were in February.

If we're going to fly that far we want to cruise for longer than 10 days! ;)

The beauty of your cruise is that we only have to fly to LA.

I am firmly convinced that if Princess doesn't offer something long (like part of a world cruise) in the winter of 2017 or 2018 we will be taking that wonderful 28 day round trip in the fall of 2018! :D

We also no longer do 7-10 cruises for the same reason. For a cruise that short the airfare is often more than the cruise.

2018 seems like a long ways off, but it also lets anticipation build. Hope you make it!

The rugged coast line gives a hint as to why the fourth season of Survivor was filmed on this island.

19947729603_4cf4c8f46c_b.jpg

There were some really unique land formations on the island.

20542377566_8e227693e2_b.jpg

The main town of Taioha'e emerges as we rounded the entrance to the bay.

20380618250_a3f35c93ed_b.jpg

This is the town of Taioha'e which is the administrative capitol of the island. I don't know what the population of the town is, but the population of the entire island is less than 3,000 people. The island has a small airport and we have anchored in the harbor to offload a crew member who has suffered a medical emergency. He will be flown to Tahiti was treatment.

20030777594_28fb895dcb_b.jpg

20466526139_8aaa26f344_b.jpg

Herman Melville based his book, "Typee" based on his experiences on this island.

20032400943_936527e8f8_b.jpg

Still enjoying the photos...I don't think I have ever seen ones of Nuku Hiva before. A great travelogue. Thanks.

I was in the same boat (no pun intended!). Up until the captain announced that we would be going there I don't recall even hearing about it - let alone seeing pictures of it. But from all accounts it is an extremely beautiful island with forested valleys in the interior.

This is the biggest town on Nuku Hiva. Notice the citrus grove center right.

20706713445_2c74f31d03_b.jpg

Seems every home had a great view of the bay.

20519966339_47d68a77a5_b.jpg

We figured that these were probably rentals.

20085761533_1f19b2c059_b.jpg

We anchored in Taioha'e Bay in order to send our crew member ashore for medical treatment. Passengers lined the deck to wish him well as he is he is tendered ashore.

20139777963_62892a91d2_b.jpg

Upon the return of the tender we weighed anchor and departed Nuku Hiva. We were later informed that the crew member was airlifted to Tahiti and was doing well. The trip to Nuku Hiva added an additional day to our cruise and over the next days everyone was on the phone rearranging air travel and hotel arrangements. Phone service was provided at no cost by Princess and they also picked up the cost we incurred in changing tickets.

20139800963_5de3d1bcba_b.jpg

I'm still loving your review. When you finish I was wondering if you could let us know what were your favorite locations/tours/activities etc, and what if anything you wish you had done differently or not done at all.

Thank you!

Great idea, I will do that.

Jack

Hello again-

Back with another question as we geer up to board the ship in October.

Do you recall if, on Bora Bora, after tendering if there were shuttle to go back and forth to Matira Beach? I've read from older reviews that there were, but

not sure if it is still available.

Thanks again,

Pam