On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

After securing the tender, we left the harbor and sailed around the other side of Nuku Hiva and saw more amazing landscapes.

20738674939_a238718a2f_b.jpg

20738673169_6932fd5401_b.jpg

Then as we left French Polynesia and set sail for Los Angeles we were treated to a farewell sunset.

20737480038_96cee69759_b.jpg

Wow what a beautiful sunset!!

I don't know what it is about the South Pacific, but the sunsets there are among the most beautiful we have experienced. A soft breeze, a gorgeous sunset, and a bottle of bubbly...just does not get much better than that!:)

I don't know what it is about the South Pacific, but the sunsets there are among the most beautiful we have experienced. A soft breeze, a gorgeous sunset, and a bottle of bubbly...just does not get much better than that!:)

A most beautiful setting, but I am afraid we are on more of a beer budget.:)

A most beautiful setting, but I am afraid we are on more of a beer budget.:)

As you may have gathered from my previous postings, I am not opposed to a nice cold beer.:D Whatever the beverage, an evening in French Polynesia is not to be missed.

Jack

After securing the tender, we left the harbor and sailed around the other side of Nuku Hiva and saw more amazing landscapes.

20738674939_a238718a2f_b.jpg

20738673169_6932fd5401_b.jpg

Then as we left French Polynesia and set sail for Los Angeles we were treated to a farewell sunset.

20737480038_96cee69759_b.jpg

The pictures of Nuku Hiva are amazing. I may have to put this on my bucket list.

SailorJack

This morning after pouring a cup of coffee I sat down at my puter and read your 1st post, 17 Nov 14, again for the 3rd or 4th time.

Then I made a note to self. Must expand my trip reports from: Boarded ship, went there, took photo, came back, and we had a good time.

Also in ref to your photo's, I would like to suggest that when you grow up and become big you take up Photography as a hobby because you really have an outstanding talent. :D

Looking forward to viewing more of your trip photo's

Bob

SailorJack

This morning after pouring a cup of coffee I sat down at my puter and read your 1st post, 17 Nov 14, again for the 3rd or 4th time.

Then I made a note to self. Must expand my trip reports from: Boarded ship, went there, took photo, came back, and we had a good time.

Also in ref to your photo's, I would like to suggest that when you grow up and become big you take up Photography as a hobby because you really have an outstanding talent. :D

Bob

I agree! Very talented and you must also have a great camera! :D

The Princess Theatre. For the first show you need to get there early to get a good seat.

21217863445_7174f6af5f_b.jpg

21029749080_cfb71d36e2_b.jpg

A small meeting room. Many may remember that it was in rooms like this that we spent considerable time waiting for a telephone to change our fights due to the extended cruise. I am sure other activities occurred here during the cruise, but we will always remember it as the telephone room.

21191606366_c50a4ee884_b.jpg

SailorJack

:)Sounds like a plan!

Thanks, but I think it is due more to the camera than the guy behind it.

Bob

Sailor Jack, this has been a wonderful cruise. I feel like I almost don't have to go next year - been there, done that!:)

However, I think I will force myself to go,:D but I have a few questions - about the places you hired taxis to take you around. First, did you bargain, or was there a sort of "fixed fee"? and second, was there any problem about having the taxis wait for you while you wandered? For example at the Mara'a Grotto or Bloody Mary's? Could you go down to a beach and paddle for a bit? Were the drivers in a hurry to get back and pick up more passengers? Oh, and were the taxis air conditioned?

Merci beaucoup!

Sailor Jack, this has been a wonderful cruise. I feel like I almost don't have to go next year - been there, done that!:)

However, I think I will force myself to go,:D but I have a few questions - about the places you hired taxis to take you around. First, did you bargain, or was there a sort of "fixed fee"? and second, was there any problem about having the taxis wait for you while you wandered? For example at the Mara'a Grotto or Bloody Mary's? Could you go down to a beach and paddle for a bit? Were the drivers in a hurry to get back and pick up more passengers? Oh, and were the taxis air conditioned?

Merci beaucoup!

1. There was no bargaining for taxi fares early in the morning when people were first getting off the ship. Taxis were filling up fast. I did hear from a couple of people who were getting off the ship after lunch that the Taxis would bargain a little because there was much less demand and the Taxis would like to get a second fare for the day. The fares were based on the car - not the number of people. So the more you can get in the car the less the cost per person. That said, the Taxis were not large and the most you could get in was four - one in front and three in back.

2. There was never any pressure from the Taxi drivers to hurry when visiting at the stops. We took our time and strolled around. However, I expect that had we tried to take extended time - swim, paddle, etc. we would not have been permitted to do that. The unofficial time for the taxi tour was generally three and half to four hours. I should also note that if we saw something that was not on the driver's regular stop that they were quite willing to stop so that we could get a photo. We never had a bad driver.

3. All of the Taxis were modern, in good condition and well air conditioned. At those stops where we took a bus - they were not air conditioned and generally not at all modern. But they were fun and had great guides.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, Sailor Jack, that was very helpful - would it be alright if I post your response on my roll call? I guess maybe I will go after all!:D

If you haven't done so already, please feel free to post on roll call...no pride in authorship here.

Glad you decided to go after all...I know it was a difficult decision!:)

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

I have been following your review since last November. I've really enjoyed it and it has made the time just a teeny bit more bearable as I awaited my own Tahiti cruise!

I leave in a week!

Thank you Sailor Jack!

Sincerely,

A different Jill

I envy your upcoming trip...less than a week now! Have a great time, Jill.

Jack