On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

A while back you said that you would post a critique of your shore excursions - which were the good ones and which ones were less that perfect. Still planning on doing that?

You're right...I have been remiss in doing that. I will gather my thoughts and post my opinions.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

As requested, I will start to post some of my thoughts about our excursions.

First up -Oahu.

In Oahu we spent the morning at Hanauma Bay. It will probably be the last time we go there. Our first visit - many years ago - was magnificent. Since then it has (to us) become too commercialized. On our first visit, we parked our car and walked down to the beach and had a great time.

Now, you must go to the ticket counter and purchase a ticket to go to the beach. Secondly, you must attend a 20 minute movie about the beach. As the theatre has limited capacity, you must wait outside for up to 40 minutes to get in. On this visit we were lucky and only had to wait for one showing before we went in. You cannot skip the movie as there is a guard to prevent you from going down to the beach.

Hanauma Bay is one of Oahu's main tourist attractions and it is, indeed, very beautiful. It is certainly worth a stop to see it, but I think on our next visit we will look for a less crowded place to swim and snorkel.

On a previous visit we rented a car and drove around the island and visited most of the recommended sites. A very good option.

Of note: Within reasonable walking distance from the ship is a public library that will issue a guest pass to you for their internet/Wi-Fi. Just stop by the desk and ask for the code. On our first visit the desk clerk didn't know about the guest pass and had to ask her supervisor - who said "Of course." They have computers there or you can use your iPad. There was no charge for this. There is a time limit and you may have to wait a bit to get on a computer if there is a heavy demand.

I like to play bridge on sea days or fing a group of guys who would play nickel dime poker in the afternoon sea days. I am a good card player but am fairly new to bridge. Contact me via email if you need a bride partner. Jimbo. My address is. essenhaus@aol.com

Did you mean to post this on your roll-call? If so, you may wish to repost. I know from experience that their are a LOT of bridge players on cruises. Don't know about nickel/dime poker. I am sure you can find a partner.

Jack

Tour critiques (con't)

Hilo, Hawaii

In Hilo we tour a four hour tour of the island that included a visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park ( a MUST) thing to see, lava tubes, steam vents,Akaka Falls, and several other sites including orchid gardens and a nut factory.

While the last two were interesting they were what we like to call "rug factories." On several past cruises one of he stops was invariably at a rug factory where the sole purpose of the stop was to get us to by a rug. Now we refer to all such stops as "rug factory" stops. The Macadamia Nut factory was one such stop. At least on our tour all we got to see was the gift shop where they were selling nuts. We did get to sample several types, but did not buy any. Same with the Orchid factory. It was basically a sales stop, but they did have some very beautiful orchids.

All that said, the tour was well worth it and I would give it a solid "B" - if for no other reason than to visit the Volcanoes National Park.

Another option is the HOHO bus. The station is just a few minutes walk from the pier and the buses run fairly frequently. For us, however, there just wasn't that much to see on the HOHO route. One of the stops was at the Japanese Gardens and they were truly spectacular. I posted pictures earlier in this review. We also drove by a very nice black sand beach. When we got back to the station we went back to the ship, got bathing suits and caught the bus back to the beach and enjoyed an hour or so of swimming and snorkeling.

Overall, I would rate our HOHO experience a "C-"

Tour critiques (con't)

Hilo, Hawaii

In Hilo we tour a four hour tour of the island that included a visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park ( a MUST) thing to see, lava tubes, steam vents,Akaka Falls, and several other sites including orchid gardens and a nut factory.

While the last two were interesting they were what we like to call "rug factories." On several past cruises one of he stops was invariably at a rug factory where the sole purpose of the stop was to get us to by a rug. Now we refer to all such stops as "rug factory" stops. The Macadamia Nut factory was one such stop. At least on our tour all we got to see was the gift shop where they were selling nuts. We did get to sample several types, but did not buy any. Same with the Orchid factory. It was basically a sales stop, but they did have some very beautiful orchids.

All that said, the tour was well worth it and I would give it a solid "B" - if for no other reason than to visit the Volcanoes National Park.

Another option is the HOHO bus. The station is just a few minutes walk from the pier and the buses run fairly frequently. For us, however, there just wasn't that much to see on the HOHO route. One of the stops was at the Japanese Gardens and they were truly spectacular. I posted pictures earlier in this review. We also drove by a very nice black sand beach. When we got back to the station we went back to the ship, got bathing suits and caught the bus back to the beach and enjoyed an hour or so of swimming and snorkeling.

Overall, I would rate our HOHO experience a "C-"

Amen about the sales-type stops! We have been taken to a Papyrus factory in Egypt, a rum factory in the Caribbean, a glass blowing factory in South America as well as a rug factory in Turkey. I guess it is a way for the tour operator to make a little additional income from commissions.

Tour Critique (Con't)

In Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii we hired a car and had a great tour. If you do nothing else (from our perspective :))in Kauai, you MUST see Waimea Canyon - described as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It was absolutely stunning and the pictures I posted really didn't do it justice. We saw a lot of other attractions, and this was one of our best tours on the cruise. We rated in a solid "A".

There are also free shuttles at the pier that to go a variety of shopping locations. After our tour we hopped on one and did our souvenir shopping. There were lots of shuttles and waiting time was less than 5 minutes.

Amen about the sales-type stops! We have been taken to a Papyrus factory in Egypt, a rum factory in the Caribbean, a glass blowing factory in South America as well as a rug factory in Turkey. I guess it is a way for the tour operator to make a little additional income from commissions.

If your South American glass blowing stop was in Caracas we have visited the same one.:D It was actually one of the most interesting rug factories we have visitied.:)

Tour Critique (con't)

Our last Hawaiian stop was in Lahania, Maui. Here, we decided to hire a taxi to take us to Kaanapali Beach and Whalers Village. The total taxi cost was under $10 per person for the round trip. Kaanapali beach is a gorgeous beach that seems to stretch forever. There are a couple of upscale resorts located near the beach and there is great snorkeling there. There was also a Snuba outfit that was doing a great business.

Also located on the beach is Whalers Village. The upscale village has over 90 shops and boutiques as well as some very nice places to eat - as well as a fast food court on the lower level. After swimming and snorkeling we spent some time at the Village for shopping and lunch before heading back to the ship.

This was the second least expensive day we spent ashore on our cruise and it was a delightful way to spend a day. I would give our day in Lahania a solid "B."

Tour Critique (con't)

Our last Hawaiian stop was in Lahania, Maui. Here, we decided to hire a taxi to take us to Kaanapali Beach and Whalers Village. The total taxi cost was under $10 per person for the round trip. Kaanapali beach is a gorgeous beach that seems to stretch forever. There are a couple of upscale resorts located near the beach and there is great snorkeling there. There was also a Snuba outfit that was doing a great business.

Also located on the beach is Whalers Village. The upscale village has over 90 shops and boutiques as well as some very nice places to eat - as well as a fast food court on the lower level. After swimming and snorkeling we spent some time at the Village for shopping and lunch before heading back to the ship.

This was the second least expensive day we spent ashore on our cruise and it was a delightful way to spend a day. I would give our day in Lahania a solid "B."

How was the snorkeling at Kaanapali? We will be there for a few days early next year and that sounds like something to do.

Snorkeling at Black Rock is typically very good. It is at the end of the main Kaanapali Beach hotel strip at the Sheraton Maui. You can take the local bus to Whalers Village and walk down the walkway. If you do the bus, buy a round trip as you will have priority going back. I always get to Black Rock when I am on Maui.

(PS, I was also on this fabulous cruise with Sailor Jack)

Snorkeling at Black Rock is typically very good. It is at the end of the main Kaanapali Beach hotel strip at the Sheraton Maui. You can take the local bus to Whalers Village and walk down the walkway. If you do the bus, buy a round trip as you will have priority going back. I always get to Black Rock when I am on Maui.

(PS, I was also on this fabulous cruise with Sailor Jack)

You are absolutely correct...the best snorkeling was along the Black Rock outcropping. We saw some amazing schools of fish among the rocks. You just needed to take care not to get pushed up against them by the waves.:)

Jack

Can you tell me if there is a shuttle right off the ship to take you where you can catch the HOHO bus?

Thanks, judy

Judy, if you are talking about the HOHO in Hilo there is no shuttle, but the HOHO station is only about a five minute walk from the ship.

Jack

Thanks for the information about no shuttle to HOHO. Wondering if free shuttle any where?

Thanks,

I believe there is at Nawiliwili, Kauai to KMart. There is a little mall nearby also. You may also find free shuttles in Honolulu to Hilo Hatties and Maui Divers. FYI, the free shuttles are provided by stores that want your business at least that is my observation. Not meant for sightseers, but for shoppers.

Thanks for the information about no shuttle to HOHO. Wondering if free shuttle any where?

Thanks,

You got some good info from foghornleghorn and hpeabody. We took the shuttles to do shopping and they were quite handy. Warning: If you go during the last hour or two before you have to be back on the ship the lines for the shuttle back to the ship can be quite long and you may have to wait for a second shuttle. So time you trip with that in mind.

Jack

Tour Critique (con't)

Our first stop after Hawaii (and after 5 sea days) was Apia, Western Samoa. The best "tour" we had on the cruise was here in Apia - and it was free. We had stopped by the Tourist Information Center to get a map and was told about a cultural show that would take place in the cultural village just behind the Visitor Center. The presentation took about 2 hours and included a lunch (sampling different foods that the presenters prepared as we watch). Different craft demonstrations were conducted in separate fales - including wood working, paper making, cooking, and music. The main presenters were such good comedians that they should turn pro. Clearly the funniest we have seen in a long time. The craftsmen and craftswomen were very skilled and took time to make sure that everyone understood what they were doing. Because there was virtually no advertising for the show, there were fewer than 20 us - so we could all get up close to the action. The Cultural Village is about a 15 minute walk from the ship. This was definitely an "A+" event.

How was the snorkeling at Kaanapali? We will be there for a few days early next year and that sounds like something to do.

Besides snorkeling, if are interested in SNUBA, the outfit that does that is set up at black Rock. They do not have a sign or a kiosk, but you can spot their equipment on the beach. They have a nice setup where four people can SNUBA at the same time. When we were there we saw an entire family - parents and two children SNUBA together.

Tour Critique (con't)

Our next stop was at Pango Pango. It seems about half the ship went on the Tisa's Barefoot Beach and Bar tour and from what I heard it was very good. We hired a private taxi and spent 5 hours touring the island. It is a beautiful island and the only thing we regretted was not having some beach time here. Overall, I would rate our day in Pango Pango as a "B".

Of note, Traveling 1969 has started a "Live" thread for this same itinerary and it will be fun to follow along and compare their trip to ours. I think you will enjoy it as well!

Jack

Tour Critique (con't)

Our next stop was at Pango Pango. It seems about half the ship went on the Tisa's Barefoot Beach and Bar tour and from what I heard it was very good. We hired a private taxi and spent 5 hours touring the island. It is a beautiful island and the only thing we regretted was not having some beach time here. Overall, I would rate our day in Pango Pango as a "B".

Of note, Traveling 1969 has started a "Live" thread for this same itinerary and it will be fun to follow along and compare their trip to ours. I think you will enjoy it as well!Jack

Bet you wish you on this cruise again!:D