When Are The Holiday Decorations Taken Down?

Seabourn Pearls

We sailed on the Eclipse on 12/31 in 2011, and they were taking the decorations down on the last day before we docked. 01/08

So I imagine that they will have been removed before the 3rd. Hopefully. I see no need to draw out the Season, grinch that I am.

Twelfth Night (where traditionally, decorations should be removed by) is January 5th.

On a Solstice cruise last year the decorations were still up when we boarded on January 4 but were taken down during the cruise.

Traditionally, decorations should be removed on Twelfth Night which is either January 4 or 5.

In 2013 and 2014 my wife and I took a Reflection cruise from Miami which left right after New Years Day. The decorations were up when we boarded, but were taken down during the week we spent on board. Happy Cruising.

On a Solstice cruise last year the decorations were still up when we boarded on January 4 but were taken down during the cruise.

Traditionally, decorations should be removed on Twelfth Night which is either January 4 or 5.

Guess it depends on where you are... In how this tradition for removing Xmas Decorations is applied

Of the people I know who keep up their decorations thru / beyond New Years... (not that many now versus when I was a kid). Quite a few... don't take them down until or after Little Christmas (Julian Calendar) / Epithany on January 6th

Either it is to be all inclusive (Christmas version A & B) or just to mark the Gifts of the Magi (in their proclamation) I am unsure... but it is a long standing tradition where I am from.

Cheers!

Guess it depends on where you are... In how this tradition for removing Xmas Decorations is applied

Of the people I know who keep up their decorations thru / beyond New Years... (not that many now versus when I was a kid). Quite a few... don't take them down until or after Little Christmas (Julian Calendar) / Epithany on January 6th

Either it is to be all inclusive (Christmas version A & B) or just to mark the Gifts of the Magi (in their proclamation) I am unsure... but it is a long standing tradition where I am from.

Cheers!

Interesting. And in Norway and Sweden Little Christmas is observed on Jan 13 which is when they take their ornaments down and finish eating all the leftover food.

The things you learn on Wikipedia.

I took my decorations down on Feb. 17th a couple years back.:eek:

The joys of an artificial tree;)

The decorations were still up on January 5th when we took our cruise, but that was on another line.

Edited by 4cats4me

It's cold and dark here in Maine. We keep them up as long as possible -- basically until the tree gives up the ghost.

Speaking of the Magi, you gotta think the guy with the frankincense probably said something like, "Fellas, let's just put the gifts in one basket with a card that's from all of us, okay?"

It's cold and dark here in Maine. We keep them up as long as possible -- basically until the tree gives up the ghost.

Speaking of the Magi, you gotta think the guy with the frankincense probably said something like, "Fellas, let's just put the gifts in one basket with a card that's from all of us, okay?"

Great post... Funny quote.

In my reply, I was talking about indoor decorations.

Of course being Cdn I can relate to your comments about darkness & outdoor decorations

Cold & snow also comes into play.

Many people here leave their Oudoor Christmas lights up year round, just unplug them. Lol, others opt for white or clear lights and never unplug them. And, Others put them up in the Fall, and take them down in the Spring. Not unusual to drive past houses in April and see some sort of Decorating "leftovers" from Halloween, Christmas, Valentines & Easter.

Of course Comedians have a field day with this stuff... (You can tell your are a Canadian if...) But it is the truth, just too dang cold & icy to go outside for a couple of hours to take down lights etc. that stuff can wait until warmer days in the Spring for sure

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Went on a B2B on Silhouette last year.

Week one; December 29-January 5 2014. Beautiful decorations the whole week. Makes time onboard really special.

Following week, sent the kids back to school and we stayed on. Decorations came down bit by bit over the duration of the cruise. Really hope that you get to see the full effect as it is quite beautiful.

Also, decorations go up quickly as last year we went on a post Thanksgiving cruise on Reflection, November 29-December 5 and we got to see the decorations going up. Lovely surprise every day and it made a great start to the holiday season. Lovely shopping onboard too!! Have fun...

Many, many years ago we were on a Christmas/New Year's cruise where the ship was decorated with fresh trees (smelled great, but had to be a fire hazard). On Jan. 2, there was a "recycling" activity out on the deck. Crew removed all the decorations and then helped the passengers throw the trees overboard!

Can you begin to imagine the legal implications that would have today? "I was just relaxing on my balcony when I was attacked by a Douglas fir from an upper deck...I'm suing the cruse line AND Santa Claus!"

Does anyone know when they start going UP? We board on November 29th. :)

Strictly based on other topics I've read here on CC ...

Celebrity "gets on this" pretty quickly with / after US Thanksgiving

If your cruise is November 29th (Thanksgiving this year is November 27th) it sounds like they will be completed long before you get off the ship... Maybe even before you get on :D

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

One country I lived in, Christmas decorations were removed right after "Three Kings", which was usually January 6. Though back in the US now, I still observe the "Three Kings" date and take down the tree the next day.

While many are strict about when decorations come down, it seems that in the US, anyway, we are putting up Christmas decor earlier and earlier. Several stores I frequent, began in mid-September. I find it jarring to see Halloween and Christmas merchandise in stores at the same time.

It's ridiculous how retailers are trying to trigger our Pavlovian shopping response earlier and earlier. For the love of Pete let's wait until the day after Thanksgiving. Speaking of which, I don't understand the desire for full-contact shopping on Black Friday. The last thing I would ever want to do is go to Walmart on that day....for what, an $8 throw pillow? Blows my mind.

One country I lived in, Christmas decorations were removed right after "Three Kings", which was usually January 6. Though back in the US now, I still observe the "Three Kings" date and take down the tree the next day.

While many are strict about when decorations come down, it seems that in the US, anyway, we are putting up Christmas decor earlier and earlier. Several stores I frequent, began in mid-September. I find it jarring to see Halloween and Christmas merchandise in stores at the same time.

I was brought up Christian, although I now consider myself more spiritual in my beliefs than tied to any particular church.

I find it entertaining (and a bit crazy) how commercial Christmas has become to the point of people not understanding any longer the entire span of the Christmas Season... Like those Christmas Decorations in September :rolleyes:

Historically (and from a religious viewpoint) the Christmas Season runs from the beginning of Advent to Epithany / 3 Kings Day (when the Magi / 3 Wise Men brought their greatest gifts ... The Proclomation)

Advent runs the 4 Sundays before Christmas (this year November 30th)... And Epithany which also coincidently matches up with"Little Christmas" on the Julian Calendar is always January 6th

US Thanksgiving, and its timing of the last Thursday in November, was intentionally set to this date to correspond to the beginning of the Christmas Season... By giving thanks for the year just past

So in a sort of crazy way Black Friday makes sense... Things going on sale in preparation for the Christmas Season (Decorating, Baking, Gifts)

But taking things down "to get on with things in the New Year" before January 6th is sort of missing the whole point of the "Religious" Season... The Proclomation

Interesting disconnect if you ask me, and showing how "the concept of Christmas" has evolved in modern times

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB