Thomson Majesty - Port Change!

We had an email this afternoon from Thomson to say that the Majesty will no longer be stopping in Lanzarote on the Colourful Coasts trip (28th November from Tenerife) and instead will visit Fuerteventura.

It doesn't bother me too much but Mr C is disappointed at missing Arrecife as we missed it last year when on the NCL Spirit due to bad weather.

The reason given is that it will be too busy at the port.

I'm just relieved we have an alternative because I was worried about having an extra sea day!

We had an email this afternoon from Thomson to say that the Majesty will no longer be stopping in Lanzarote on the Colourful Coasts trip (28th November from Tenerife) and instead will visit Fuerteventura.

It doesn't bother me too much but Mr C is disappointed at missing Arrecife as we missed it last year when on the NCL Spirit due to bad weather.

The reason given is that it will be too busy at the port.

I'm just relieved we have an alternative because I was worried about having an extra sea day!

I'm going on the same cruise and read the email earlier too, I'm not that bothered, in fact I was pleased as never been to Fuerteventura before, however I thought the reason they gave for the itinerary change was a funny one, how have they suddenly realised this? :confused::D

never been to fuerteventura either? but i dont think this change will turn out to be too much of a loss ... okay so there are interesting things to do on lanzarote (timanfaya, pourto del carmen etc) but arriciffe is not the greatest town that the canaries have to offer and it is in the north of the island where the weather is cooler/ sea conditions not always perfect, especially at this time of year (costa teguise will be almost deserted) all the resorts and the better weather are towards the south of the island and have to be travelled too

port congestion is the usual reason/excuse that they use ...but at least they have let everyone know in advance for you

have a good time

never been to fuerteventura either? but i dont think this change will turn out to be too much of a loss ... okay so there are interesting things to do on lanzarote (timanfaya, pourto del carmen etc) but arriciffe is not the greatest town that the canaries have to offer and it is in the north of the island where the weather is cooler/ sea conditions not always perfect, especially at this time of year (costa teguise will be almost deserted) all the resorts and the better weather are towards the south of the island and have to be travelled too

port congestion is the usual reason/excuse that they use ...but at least they have let everyone know in advance for you

have a good time

Looked up the port schedules - true to say there are three other ships in Arrecife on the 4th which I think is the date the Majesty was due to be there - a P&O, Aida plus one more. Never been to Fueteventura either but must say Lanzarote I do like very much although I agree Arrecife has little to offer imo.

I'm interested to hear your comment about Costa Teguise probably being very quiet geo also the difference in weather between there and I assume you mean the Playa Blanca area. We've stayed at both resorts in the past but I can't remember which months we went. I do remember it being quite windy though. I had just assumed the weather throughout the Canaries would be OK and pretty much the same across the islands for all the winter months also the resorts would be busy. So, perhaps that's not the case. Are there some months that are best avoided? I find I'm thinking about land based holidays a bit and of course the Canaries are a good standby for winter so any pointers gratefully received!

On another note, what a bargain for someone wanting to go last minute next week.

In checking when they were in Lanzarote, iI spotted the 7nt cruise on at £360 :eek:

Good luck to anyone who can pick that one up!

in my experience its always windy(er) in the north, we stayed at costa teguise in december one year (a few years ago) we realised why it had been such a bargain when we got there.... it was quiet (not deserted that was a bit of an exaggeration) :o but it was windy and chilly throughout, sea conditions were a little surfy too, its pleasant enough tho

all the best daytime restaurants/cafes are along the sea front and open to the weather and quite a few were closed up, there is some good shopping there tho

we found ourselves travelling south most days, to puerto del carmen which seems to be better sheltered from the wind, sunner and much more lively (especially at night) more things available to do (to occupy the kids mainly)

tbh costa teguise is quieter more relaxing all year round than pdc where there is a younger crowd and more nightlife its easy to travel on the bus between the 2 depending on your mood for the day

in my experience its always windy(er) in the north, we stayed at costa teguise in december one year (a few years ago) we realised why it had been such a bargain when we got there.... it was quiet (not deserted that was a bit of an exaggeration) :o but it was windy and chilly throughout, sea conditions were a little surfy too, its pleasant enough tho

all the best daytime restaurants/cafes are along the sea front and open to the weather and quite a few were closed up, there is some good shopping there tho

we found ourselves travelling south most days, to puerto del carmen which seems to be better sheltered from the wind, sunner and much more lively (especially at night) more things available to do (to occupy the kids mainly)

tbh costa teguise is quieter more relaxing all year round than pdc where there is a younger crowd and more nightlife its easy to travel on the bus between the 2 depending on your mood for the day

Thanks for that geo. Come to think of it the beach was pretty empty in C.T. but I never thought about it much at the time since we were travelling around rather than 'doing' the beach. I'll bear that in mind though for the future. Didn't really appreciate that the Canaries had seasons though but I'm sure you're right at least in Lanzarote as giving it more thought it was even quiet on the beach at PDC the day we visited. We must have gone in their 'low' season but as you say, there's more in terms of pavement cafes etc there.. It was probably a similar time to when we've been to Tenerife which seemed much busier - perhaps that island sees less fluctuation in tourists. Anyway thanks for the feedback - food for thought and noted for future reference if we go down that route again. :)

Having holidayed on both islands I would say there is more to see in Lanzarote. Fuerteventura means "strong winds" but I think it was windier in Lanzarote, at least when we were there (May time IIRC)

I don't mind Arecife, if you get a taxi in, it is a lovely walk into town round the lagoon and then there is a nice beach just past the town itself. (Have put photos on here, somewhere, a couple of weeks ago)

Fuerteventura has a great shopping centre near the port. Turn left along the promenade and then right up some steps. You can get a map from destination services. Don't tell Mr C, though, just say you are going for a walk and when you arrive at the shopping centre, look surprised :D

Looked up the port schedules - true to say there are three other ships in Arrecife on the 4th which I think is the date the Majesty was due to be there - a P&O, Aida plus one more. Never been to Fueteventura either but must say Lanzarote I do like very much although I agree Arrecife has little to offer imo.

I'm interested to hear your comment about Costa Teguise probably being very quiet geo also the difference in weather between there and I assume you mean the Playa Blanca area. We've stayed at both resorts in the past but I can't remember which months we went. I do remember it being quite windy though. I had just assumed the weather throughout the Canaries would be OK and pretty much the same across the islands for all the winter months also the resorts would be busy. So, perhaps that's not the case. Are there some months that are best avoided? I find I'm thinking about land based holidays a bit and of course the Canaries are a good standby for winter so any pointers gratefully received!

On another note, what a bargain for someone wanting to go last minute next week.

In checking when they were in Lanzarote, iI spotted the 7nt cruise on at £360 :eek:

Good luck to anyone who can pick that one up!

The Dream is also there that day, and has it's first embarkation day after it's few days in wet dock, so it would have been more difficult to swap the Dream around rather than the Majesty.

Fuerteventura has an extensive naturist beach up near Corralejo - if you are into that sort of thing !!!

:D

Oh that's a relief.I just thought I had come across an exhibitionist when I wandered through the sand dunes there once- I had to take detour on the way back to avoid him lol.

.......On another note, what a bargain for someone wanting to go last minute next week.

In checking when they were in Lanzarote, iI spotted the 7nt cruise on at £360 :eek: Good luck to anyone who can pick that one up!

Here you go Kruzseeka, on Thomsons website this evening, Colourful Coasts 5/12/14 from Bournemouth - - - - - - £333 inside cabin.

Go on, you know you want to :)

Here you go Kruzseeka, on Thomsons website this evening, Colourful Coasts 5/12/14 from Bournemouth - - - - - - £333 inside cabin.

Go on, you know you want to :)

Ooh that is cheap. Some of the November departures on the Dream were floating (no pun intended) around at that price a few weeks ago too.

It certainly seems the time to pick up a bargain cruise, or two. Saw a week on MSC from Southampton back in October for £199 in a balcony cabin, was really tempted by that!

:D:D I would be tempted too, but off to Canterbury and Leeds Castle that weekend with my friend for our annual girly weekend and off to see Madness at the NEC with my daughter the next weekend (early Christmas present :))

Well that all sounds lovely Linda - enjoy! Unfortunately our commitments are far more mundane but still it's clearly a good time to look out for a bargain. Must remember for next year! ;)