Anchorage to Whittier Transfers

lucky cal

Would someone who sailed on a 2014 southbound Alaska cruise and used Princess transfers to Whittier let me know how they work?

Are they offered from downtown Anchorage as well as the airport? We will be staying downtown the night before our cruise following a week-long independent land tour and will not be using a Princess hotel.

Are the transfers by bus or train and what time(s) do they depart?

I'm wondering if they're worth $78 each and if there are better options? Though I do like the idea of not having to deal with our luggage ourselves.

Thanks.

Have done this a few times, but things change so verify everything.

Captain Cook has been the Princess hotel for a very long time and your transfer will probably be bus.

But a lot of people like us like the train. It is a short cab ride to the station. You can buy train tickets on line and the train will let you off at the ship. Hope you are on the Coral or Island. Don't recall the price but don't think that high.

Have done this a few times, but things change so verify everything.

Captain Cook has been the Princess hotel for a very long time and your transfer will probably be bus.

But a lot of people like us like the train. It is a short cab ride to the station. You can buy train tickets on line and the train will let you off at the ship. Hope you are on the Coral or Island. Don't recall the price but don't think that high.

I agree with the train option. I have done that twice, booked directly with Alaska Railroad. I believe the train leaves around 9:30am. You arrive in Whittier, dropped off right at the ship around noon. Even booking through Alaska RR, you drop off your luggage at the train station and they deliver to your room onboard. Very relaxing ride and much better than a bus, imho. The price is comparable to the Princess transfer.

Since you are there before all of the Princess transfers, checking in is easy and quick. You can also take a Prince William Sound cruise from there, getting back to the ship before sail away. Or walk around the very small port of Whittier (not really a lot to walk too, but it's beautiful with all the mountains) or head onboard and enjoy an empty ship. Personally, after a long land portion, I think it's nice to be onboard and relax with some downtime before the cruise starts.

The thing I liked about the bus transfers through Princess was that you got a commentary about what you were viewing along the way. We saw so much - tons of eagles that the bus pulled over for us to see & take pictures, glaciers, lakes, etc. The bus pulled over twice on our trip so we could take pictures.

The thing I liked about the bus transfers through Princess was that you got a commentary about what you were viewing along the way. We saw so much - tons of eagles that the bus pulled over for us to see & take pictures, glaciers, lakes, etc. The bus pulled over twice on our trip so we could take pictures.

Also, there are private companies that provide exactly the same service with narration and scenic/wildlife stops that cost less than what Princess charges. They pick up from any downtown hotel. Do an Internet search or look at the Anchorage board on CC for ideas and suggestions if you are interested.

Also, there are private companies that provide exactly the same service with narration and scenic/wildlife stops that cost less than what Princess charges. They pick up from any downtown hotel. Do an Internet search or look at the Anchorage board on CC for ideas and suggestions if you are interested.

I haven't taken the bus, although I did want to mention that the train does also provide commentary and are always looking out for wildlife too. Of course, they do not "stop" for pictures.

We sailed on the Diamond Princess in 2012, but north bound. We booked a trip with The Magic Bus, Tim Melican, but they offer our trip in reverse. Our driver was Greg and he was fantastic, he is very proud of his state. He went there to visit in 81 and never left! It was a private trip (we had 7 people) and it was a great ride back. We stopped at Portage Lake (Can't see the actual Glacier anymore) The Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center, drove to the Aleyska Resort, had lunch in Girwood at the 5th Chair (GREAT FOOD!) and stopped along the drive to view Dall Sheep. He also took us into a residential area to show us a view of Anchorage that was fantastic! On the way back down, I spotted a moose, and when we turned around to see her, she actually had a baby with her. There are many that do bus tours down to Whittier. My family and I prefer not to be with 50 of our closest friends, being herded along the way. For us it was a great time. You could probably cut out some of our stops, as we did it it took about 5 hours.

Beware, mosquitoes were out in force at the conservation center. I had brought Off spray with us everywhere we went, and that was the first time we needed it! (My family was very appreciative! )

Alaska was breath taking and we will return! Enjoy!!

I forgot to mention that once he picked us up until we got to the hotel, we never touched our luggage. Our driver had an enclosed trailer (again there was 7 of us) that the luggage was locked away in.

Edited by WaggesAZ
Forgot to talk about luggage