QM2 questions

Noxequifans

We are considering a 5 day New - New York QM2 cruise next summer ...

First time on Cunard. On a short cruise, how many formal nights are there? Also, if our butler serves us dinner in our suite, should we stay in the suite afterwards if we don't want to get dressed up on a formal night? Thank you.

Not sure how many formal nights you will have but here is the information (from Ask Cunard) about evening dress.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

I've been on the 5-day NY-Halifax-Boston-NY cruise twice. The only formal night will be the first sea day out of New York. All others, including the run from Boston back to New York, will be "informal".

If you prefer not to dress on formal night Cunard requests that those to prefer to remain casual use Kings Court or the Winter Garden. (Or, in your case, in-suite dining.) Formal attire is expected in the sit-down restaurants, theater, and other public areas.

As long as you respect that, fine. But the elegant formal nights were one of the cherished and anticipated aspects of sailing on an ocean liner. I sometimes wonder why people choose a Cunard ship when they don't care for this atmosphere. It's something like going to a steak house known for its dry-aged prime porterhouse steaks when they really prefer a simple burger.

Edited by BlueRiband

I've been on the 5-day NY-Halifax-Boston-NY cruise twice. The only formal night will be the first sea day out of New York. All others, including the run from Boston back to New York, will be "informal".

If you prefer not to dress on formal night Cunard requests that those to prefer to remain casual use Kings Court or the Winter Garden. (Or, in your case, in-suite dining.) Formal attire is expected in the sit-down restaurants, theater, and other public areas.

As long as you respect that, fine. But the elegant formal nights were one of the cherished and anticipated aspects of sailing on an ocean liner. I sometimes wonder why people choose a Cunard ship when they don't care for this atmosphere. It's something like going to a steak house known for its dry-aged prime porterhouse steaks when they really prefer a simple burger.

At our age, we want a cruise that starts and ends in NY. We want a nice cruise line and would book a Q4.

At our age, we want a cruise that starts and ends in NY. We want a nice cruise line and would book a Q4.
At any age a cruise that begins and ends in NYC is best; in fact, for us it's an only. QM2's Q4s are roomy, but they they don't have a separate dressing table. If you don't need the extra space for entertaining, go with a Q5.

We are considering a 5 day New - New York QM2 cruise next summer ...

First time on Cunard. On a short cruise, how many formal nights are there? Also, if our butler serves us dinner in our suite, should we stay in the suite afterwards if we don't want to get dressed up on a formal night? Thank you.

Assuming you are considering the "Halifax and Boston Short Break" (voyage M514) July 30 - August 4, 2015, the dress code schedule posted on ask.cunard.com is currently showing two format nights. For your reference, here is the link to that schedule.

Queen Mary 2 Voyage M422 to M604

The usual caveat applies. "This information is subject to change and final details will be confirmed on board."

Regards,

John.

At any age a cruise that begins and ends in NYC is best; in fact, for us it's an only. QM2's Q4s are roomy, but they they don't have a separate dressing table. If you don't need the extra space for entertaining, go with a Q5.

I'm sorry I prefer sailing from Southampton and returning to Southampton:D

I am also going on the 5 day cruise july 2015. I previously went on a 5 day cruise on the qm2 in 2008. There were 2 formal nights. Formal wear is for dinner but other than that "smart casual" in the other venues seemed fine. That was one of the best cruises I ever experienced and cant wait to sail on her again.

I am also going on the 5 day cruise july 2015. I previously went on a 5 day cruise on the qm2 in 2008. There were 2 formal nights. Formal wear is for dinner but other than that "smart casual" in the other venues seemed fine. That was one of the best cruises I ever experienced and cant wait to sail on her again.

Just to mention that in past years, this 5 day QM2 cruise took place during the celebration of Independence Day, with special celebrations in Boston Port. Passengers where willing to pay a premium fare for the short cruise, round trip from NY. Since the cruise took place during a Federal Holiday, the number of vacations days used was minimal to those working in the US, thus making the cruise attractive, even at premium fares.

In 2015, it will be different.