The Business of Cunard: a new President for North America and adjusting course?

japyke

Too bad Cunard isn't included in the sweepstake. The prize is limited to cruises on Carnival, Princess, and HAL.

Right, and the winner's name will be published (after which the address is easily obtainable on the web), and his/her guest will be photographed/filmed for promotional purposes. On each and every 'free' cruise for the rest of their life. Oh joy.

Edited by Salacia

Dear Salacia, your posts always attract my attention.

As with others I would imagine, I tend to skim these threads, particularly those I don't immediately understand. It's an age thing.

However am I right to think that "We Are Cunard" is a club of some sort, and can anyone join. Or is it like our local golf club who used to vet applicants and nearly went bust because they rejected so many and would now even admit me. Some chance.

Or is it more like that "Fation Police" thing that flooded the pages with photos filched from who knew where. I kind of miss not reading those as well. And the founder member whose handle I can't remember. I miss him.

You do seem to understand these things. Can you explain.

David.

David

I asked to join the "We are Cunard Fanzine" on Facebook but was rejected. A shame really as I felt I had a lot to offer, including some of my own pics! :-)

I managed not to bring it up in conversation on the Captain's table on board last week as we had far more interesting things to talk about!

I always enjoy your posts, keep them coming :-)

Best wishes

Right, and the winner's name will be published (after which the address is easily obtainable on the web), and his/her guest will be photographed/filmed for promotional purposes. On each and every 'free' cruise for the rest of their life. Oh joy.

Heavy lies the head that wears the crown.

To get back to the original post, I think that we should wait and see, there are bound to be some changes but look on the bright side they may be of benefit!

I agree with the a previous poster who mentions:

formal ambiance, wonderful musicians - if I add attentive staff and well thought out menus - these are some of the main reasons I continue to travel Cunard.

It is not the same as it was in the 1990's but we have to realise that everything has changed and everything has to change - unless that is we want to pay the Cunard prices of the 1990's! I for one take all the things that they continue to do so well and enjoy every single trip on board.

One of the other great benefits is the wonderful people I have met on board and the life long friends I have made. On my last trip just a few weeks ago, everyone we met had a good word and were happy and friendly - that is just what you want when you are on holiday!

David

I asked to join the "We are Cunard Fanzine" on Facebook but was rejected. A shame really as I felt I had a lot to offer, including some of my own pics! :-)

I managed not to bring it up in conversation on the Captain's table on board last week as we had far more interesting things to talk about!

Best wishes

Deleted, don't want to start an argy bargy

Edited by Pennbank

David

Best wishes

The we are fanzine, is run by RS on Facebook, perhaps you got refused as you were dining with the staff!

Oh of course Pennbank - I wondered what the reason was :-)

The 'We Are Cunard' Fanzine group on Facebook have a rule that is intended to stop trolls invading. It is simple, an applicant must have a 'positive' Facebook identity and a clear link with Cunard cruising. The only exception is where an applicant has a genuine reason for protecting his/her identity in which case we will accept the word of another member that the application is genuine.

In all cases where initial identity is difficult a Facebook message is sent to the would be applicant. It reads...

"We have received your request to join the group 'We are Cunard Fanzine'.

Please understand that as a closed group membership requires either a Facebook profile including a picture or, if you prefer not to have a profile picture on Facebook, another members personal recommendation.

It would also assist to see mention on a profile of cruising with Cunard.

I trust you understand the reasoning behind this cautious requirement.

Richard"

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

Many of us have good records of 'dining with the staff'...

8576531323_64c67b359c_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

The 'We Are Cunard' Fanzine group on Facebook have a rule that is intended to stop trolls invading. It is simple, an applicant must have a 'positive' Facebook identity and a clear link with Cunard cruising. The only exception is where an applicant has a genuine reason for protecting his/her identity in which case we will accept the word of another member that the application is genuine.

In all cases where initial identity is difficult a Facebook message is sent to the would be applicant. It reads...

"We have received your request to join the group 'We are Cunard Fanzine'.

Please understand that as a closed group membership requires either a Facebook profile including a picture or, if you prefer not to have a profile picture on Facebook, another members personal recommendation.

It would also assist to see mention on a profile of cruising with Cunard.

I trust you understand the reasoning behind this cautious requirement.

Richard"

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

Many of us have good records of 'dining with the staff'...

8576531323_64c67b359c_z.jpg

Solent Richard, two questions if you don't mind my asking:

1). I've noted that several of your posts, two people are pictured holding a banner proclaiming "We are Cunard". Is this an official statement sanctioned by the Cunard Line using their logo for promotional purposes?

2). On your photos posted, you include a copyright. And yet your signature includes a painting by a contemporary - sans any credit whatsoever. Would you care to include the painter's name and the title of the painting?

Oh, and regarding your photos, you might want to take a look at "Use of Content"/Cruise Critic FAQ.

I'm not Cunard, but I am a frequent passenger.

Regards,

Salacia

Good evening Salacia.

Thank you for taking such a keen interest in my internet activity.

I certainly don't mind anyone asking questions as long as they don't mind my answers when not particularly agreeing with their views.

I can confirm that Cunard are are more than happy with my use of the 'banner'. Indeed, it has often featured on their own 'We Are Cunard' Facebook page.

As for copyright that belongs to the person who operates the camera on which the photograph is taken...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11015672/Wikipedia-refuses-to-delete-photo-as-monkey-owns-it.html

Have a nice evening and God Bless America.

Edited by Solent Richard

Good evening Salacia.

Thank you for taking such a keen interest in my internet activity.

I certainly don't mind anyone asking questions as long as they don't mind my answers when not particularly agreeing with their views.

I can confirm that Cunard are are more than happy with my use of the 'banner'. Indeed, it has often featured on their own 'We Are Cunard' Facebook page.

As for copyright that belongs to the person who operates the camera on which the photograph is taken...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11015672/Wikipedia-refuses-to-delete-photo-as-monkey-owns-it.html

Have a nice evening and God Bless America.

Hi Solent Richard. Thank you for your reply. I don't participate in Facebook, so I had no idea that your "We are Cunard" photos were featured on the Cunard Facebook site. That is very interesting. I wonder if there are other "We are Cunard" groups. Can anyone start one or does Cunard have specific requirements that must be met before Cunard gives approval for use of their logo?

Frankly, my interest in your internet activity was limited to clicking on the link to the blog mentioned in your signature here. BTW, the reproduction of the painting featured sans credit in your signature on this forum is by the artist (or painter, if you prefer that term), Jack Vettirano, a 64 year from Fife, Scotland. You may be interested in his website, especially information on the copyright of his work: http://www.jackvettriano.com/copyright/

I hadn't realized that you took all the photos that are copyright Solent Richard. Interesting work, thanks for sharing.

Thanks again, and May God Bless the Queen! :)

Salacia

Don't take it personally. After posting a youtube link to a video of QM2 arriving in New York at daybreak last fall there were accusations of 1) digital faking of the bow wake and 2) claims that the ship could not possibly be filmed from the reported location.

No good deed can be allowed to go unpunished.:(

Don't take it personally. After posting a youtube link to a video of QM2 arriving in New York at daybreak last fall there were accusations of 1) digital faking of the bow wake and 2) claims that the ship could not possibly be filmed from the reported location.

No good deed can be allowed to go unpunished.:(

No, no one accused you of "digial faking"...but I did wonder if some kind of "digital magic" was used. And apparently, you continue to misconstrue and not let the matter die despite subsequent apologies and attempts to explain to you that they were questions, not accusations. Anyway, that issue has nothing to due with this discussion, unless you are intent on opening old wounds. This is the last comment I will make on that matter.

ok, ok, back to your corners gentlemen.

And Moderator, how about we just close this thread out, do you in fact ever close out a thread? As Carnival just today announced 2 more new builds (carnival and HAL) I guess Cunard is going to be playing second fiddle for a while anyway. Thanks to everyone who has posted. It was a good run while it lasted.

ok, ok, back to your corners gentlemen.

And Moderator, how about we just close this thread out, do you in fact ever close out a thread? As Carnival just today announced 2 more new builds (carnival and HAL) I guess Cunard is going to be playing second fiddle for a while anyway. Thanks to everyone who has posted. It was a good run while it lasted.

Hi Japyke. Yes, at times and for various reasons, threads have been locked. If you wish to petition the Moderators to close the thread, the best way to do it is to hit the red triangle in the upper right hand corner and make your case.

I can understand your concern as this thread has evolved into several different aspects of Cunard travel, which is not uncommon once the original question has been addressed after several responses. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't know, but there are informative aspects and new discoveries that followed once responses had been made to your question (and no doubt there will be further comments once more is known about the change).

For example, I only learned about the select "We are Cunard" group as a result of this thread. And I had the opportunity to point out the name of the painter whose work is used without credit (and hopefully gave a polite alert to the poster). I was reminded about my lack of sensitivity in asking questions. (I'm also known for bad jokes and not understanding irony.)

So, yes, you can petition to close this thread. Or let it continue for the sake of exchange of information.

By the way, the comment "ok, ok, back to your corners gentlemen" suggests there was a fight going on, and I don't believe that was the case. But that's just this one woman's opinion:D

Best wishes for a happy holiday seasons filled with interesting conversations,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Yes, I very much appreciate copyright laws.

I confess: I am befuddled ...how did you take formal portrait shots with you in the photo. Do you use a tripod and set the timer on your camera? If you don't want to share your technique, I understand. BTW, I was just looking at hardware to enable taking group photos from a cell phone - looks like a mini-tripod. Cheers, Salacia

P.S. And of course, copyrights can also be sold, or licensed. Some would argue that once the work is in in the public domain, the copyright is lost, and while that might not be legal, it certainly seems to be the case.

Edited by Salacia

As with others I would imagine, I tend to skim these threads, particularly those I don't immediately understand. It's an age thing.

However am I right to think that "We Are Cunard" is a club of some sort, and can anyone join. Or is it like our local golf club who used to vet applicants and nearly went bust because they rejected so many and would now even admit me. Some chance.

Or is it more like that "Fation Police" thing that flooded the pages with photos filched from who knew where. I kind of miss not reading those as well. And the founder member whose handle I can't remember. I miss him.

David.

David, no I don't understand, although I have been trying to figure out what it's all about. I think you have a better grasp of what's going on. Whenever a select group claims title, the hairs on the back of my neck go up.

Salacia

I am not Cunard, but I am a frequent passenger.

David.

We are Cunard is Cunards Website for their blog

http://www.wearecunard.com

I may be wrong, but did this blog not feature a lot on another uk cruise forum.

We are Cunard is Cunards Website for their blog

http://www.wearecunard.com

I may be wrong, but did this blog not feature a lot on another uk cruise forum.

Well considering that I had to Google to find out what a fanzine is, you can possibly understand my confusion.

Having the same title as the official Cunard blog doesn't help.

Anyway I wonder, if I fulfilled all the requirements would I be accepted as a member? Only asking.

David.

Well considering that I had to Google to find out what a fanzine is, you can possibly understand my confusion.

Having the same title as the official Cunard blog doesn't help.

Anyway I wonder, if I fulfilled all the requirements would I be accepted as a member? Only asking.

David.

Second question: what are the requirements?

First question: who gives a flying fig about the second question?

:D

Edited by Salacia