What's Over Hyped and What's Underrated?

curious_st

I've never been to the Alchemy bar but this thread makes me want to venture in there on my upcoming cruise. What are the best times?

Overrated- WCMC- although it's good, I could do without it.

Underrated- MDR- I think people should skip the buffet and dine in the MDR more often.

Overated

WCMC ( if you really like chocolate you can get lots better at Denny's, DQ or Braums.

Mongolian Wok - ( food is ok but the line is always super long)

Lobster night in the MDR

Bingo

Lido Deck Parties

Underated

Relaxing on the Balcony

Just strolling and enjoying the ports without any planned excursions

Service by the wait staff and cabin stewards

I've never been to the Alchemy bar but this thread makes me want to venture in there on my upcoming cruise. What are the best times?

Overrated- WCMC- although it's good, I could do without it.

Underrated- MDR- I think people should skip the buffet and dine in the MDR more often.

Alchemy Bar is typically only open in the evenings. The drinks on the menu are excellent, and I do recommend you start there (I like the Cucumber Sunrise, 20 is the New 40, Apple A Day, and Spicy Chipotle Pineapple). But where the Alchemy Bar really shines is in the bartenders. Develop a relationship with them and talk to them about what you like. As they get to know you and your preferences, they will make recommendations and create special drinks. Some of our favorites include a spicy mango drink, a chocolate orange gin martini, and an elderberry champagne cocktail.

The drinks are priced around $8-9, but are very strong. Also they run specials nearly every night, so pay attention to what's going on. It's easy to get martinis/drinks for around $7 or so if you pay attention to the specials.

The bartenders assigned to the Alchemy Bar are some of the most experienced in the fleet. They are personable, fun, and make for a fun atmosphere. They also typically offer a mixology class, which is amazing and you learn how to properly shake and stir cocktails, muddle, etc. It's definitely worth the cost!

These comments have been fun and entertaining. Spat my diet soda already!

In the spirit of this thread:

I say most overrated by carnival ,,,,,,,, - the hunt for smuggled booze :D

Really - pictures purchased from carnival and bingo as a close 2nd.

I say the most underrated by carnival,,,,,,,,,,- the hunt for smuggled booze - cause there sure are a bunch on here claiming how to do it,,,,,,,,getting it on ship and how much they succeeded at it. One of my table mates on my last cruise got on 2 liters of crown in Listerine bottles,,,,,,how could he do that now a days,,,,it's the first thing I see security inspecting,,,,, :rolleyes:

Really -

how happy the crew are for the little salary they get. The long hours they have to work. The behind the scenes tour - opened my eyes. I mean the crew pay tips like we do. They don't make up their own bed or clean their own clothes or cook their own food,,,,so they pay tips as well. The off day is a few hours,,,,if they are in a dept that gets that,,,,,,,,Wow that tour opened my eyes.

RE Crew story...wow you opened my eyes even further after reading comments only on "Cruise Confidential". They even have to pay tips...shocked. I am sure things vary line to line on how staff is compensated and climb the ranks.. but I will really aim to take some extra tip cash now...adding to my usual.

Underrated...

Inside 1A's on Fantasy class. Why? There are quiet ones without a door across from them and quite roomy for just one with the bunk up.

Being able to take a 4 day in these 1A's for a great price on the West coast...with only appx 30 days out.

Checking out a new California place each trip from West Coast makes air from here...(expensive) worth it...and shorter than flying to Florida..often not much but still ..LOL...the joys of small place living.

Free room service period...BLT. Fresh Croissants..coffee..and more things since I have been..that is awesome compared to hotel prices when that is offered..the room and then the food..both is way more...to me wonderful even in a 1A!!!!!

Tea at sea.

Massages with the right therapist hearing your do not push the "lotions and potions". After the ship is at sea, The spa offers the specials..they are worth it and only say 20% more than on land medium priced spa at that point and you are on vacation..not doing one cuts my vacation enjoyment in half I learned..it lowers my blood pressure and puts me in vacation mode no matter what.

Clean spa showers and sauna and window to the sea from locker room on Fantasy class.

Risking assigned dining at a big table if in the mood to socialize a bit.

I think Ocean View Cabins..all that room and extra space from no balcony..I say cool and it has been a while since i have had a view or a balcony.

Over rated...

I am in the WCMC not so great camp, because it is sooo rich it gave me a tummy ache and I like coke...too much LOL.

Balcony...I want one really bad I admit...but always the solo deal is so much better in a cheaper well planned inside I can not say no. I have loved one on Princess with a friend and mini-suite to boot!

The shows..but I love them anyway...

Sarah

Edited by sjn911
syntax, grammer, spelling..type O's..Always!!!