What's Over Hyped and What's Underrated?

curious_st

Well, most anything is better than the second cruise on the Mardi Gras, so here goes.

Underrated:

• Indian Vegetarian dinner in the MDR
  • Vegetarian Enchilladas (not a pattern, I'm a beef eating Texan, but both are good!)
  • People watching on the Promenade after dinner. Epic.
  • Aft on the lido, feet on the rail, Kindle in hand and blue water below
  • Fantasy class ships. We miss the Ecstasy here, sailed on the Elation and Imagination too
  • Not reading Cruise Confidential and appreciating your staff more
  • Two naps a day
  • The gym at night. Between 9-10pm it's empty
  • Spa showers. Lots of water, towels and hardly anyone there
  • The coffee bar along the Promenade Deck. Great carrot cake!
  • Behind The Scenes Tour. Been twice, on the Triumph and Conquest
  • Taking dominos and playing upstairs in the buffet area
  • Blue Iguana breakfast
  • The open decks forward on sail away. I've seen enough Wobble and Cupid Shuffle

Overrated

• Shopping aboard - limited nice logo and ship specific merchandise, lousy watch prices, Invicata's double those prices from Amazon and better prices on Citizen watches at Kohl's with a coupon.

• Entertainment - using guests as talent? This is a LOFT problem; Lack Of Freakin' Talent. Karaoke is pitiful. They should give every guest three softballs when they sit down in the audience.

• Comedians that berate themselves or others because they haven't written any material. It's been a pattern lately. The drunk lady Cajun from Galveston is unwatchable.
  • Pools - allowing buckets of beer IN the pool, that many people drinking and you cannot raise the chlorine level high enough. When is the last time you swam in a ships pool? For me it was the Solarium Pool on the Rhapsody.
  • Art Auctions - who buys that crap? It's fun to watch.
  • Bingo - here's where someone talks on the microphone too much as you loose $35

With all that said we cruise again this month, our 21st on Carnival and have two more booked in 2015.

Edited by BallFour4

These comments have been fun and entertaining. Spat my diet soda already!

In the spirit of this thread:

I say most overrated by carnival ,,,,,,,, - the hunt for smuggled booze :D

Really - pictures purchased from carnival and bingo as a close 2nd.

I say the most underrated by carnival,,,,,,,,,,- the hunt for smuggled booze - cause there sure are a bunch on here claiming how to do it,,,,,,,,getting it on ship and how much they succeeded at it. One of my table mates on my last cruise got on 2 liters of crown in Listerine bottles,,,,,,how could he do that now a days,,,,it's the first thing I see security inspecting,,,,, :rolleyes:

Really -

how happy the crew are for the little salary they get. The long hours they have to work. The behind the scenes tour - opened my eyes. I mean the crew pay tips like we do. They don't make up their own bed or clean their own clothes or cook their own food,,,,so they pay tips as well. The off day is a few hours,,,,if they are in a dept that gets that,,,,,,,,Wow that tour opened my eyes.

WOW, 5 back to backs:eek:, why did you get off the Conquest after doing 4 straight back to backs on her?:D

[quote name=American Bear;44893465

WOW' date=' 5 back to backs:eek:, why did you get off the Conquest after doing 4 straight back to backs on her?:D[/quote]

I have always wanted to do a month on a ship. Bucket list for me. But I only had 3 weeks on the Conquest, then went 1 week on Breeze and last the week on Glory. 35 days in total. All in the same carnival port.

Wished I would have sailed the other ships in that port - but I didn't realize my opportunity.:cool:

It was hard to leave that lifestyle,,,,,

bed made -

great food

and wonderful crew

and the cruise critic people weren't too shabby either,,,,,

So I am cruising on Dream this week end to get my fix.:D

Really, I left my husband and kids (adult aged) at home and traveled solo. Had meets n mingles set up from here and arranged to do things with other solos I was hanging with. So as fun as it was - was hard to be without my spouse. On the plus side - after nearly 10 years - he is gonna finally cruise with me. This will be his first cruise Sunday. I haven't sailed on the Dream either - so it's gonna be fun to see how he likes it

Edited by tbbtravels

Guy's Fries are seriously underrated!

For FTTF, I don't think I'd do it. I am an early bird anyway, and enjoy getting some place and pulling out my kindle. I'm usually on the first tender because I get to the desk, find somewhere to sit, and read my kindle til it opens for my tender ticket. I am one of the first people who arrive at the port anyway because I'm excitable and it would be torture to wait until 11-1:30 to get to the port. My carry on is a backpack so I don't need to drop anything off. But I can definitely see the benefit for people who aren't like me, or are toting along elderly or very young. I wouldn't call it underrated .

• 2 weeks later...

Overhyped

Carnival Sunshine

FTTF

WCMC

Guy's Burgers-Although they are good,just over advertised.

BINGO

Fun Shops

Nassau

Art Auctions

Disney Cruises-You don't know how many times I heard people whine about not being on a Disney cruise while on Carnival. It's like they felt they were being punished for being on Carnival. If you like Disney, that is OK but if you do, go on it. You are not going to get Carnival prices and value for a Disney cruise. Sorry, dont mean to rant.:D

UnderRated

Fish&Chips- Seriously, Carnival needs to promote this as much as Guy's Burgers. Before my cruise I was feeling like I was going to live at Guy's but I stayed at Fish&Chips way more.

Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Breakfast Burritos

Mongolian Wok- I love Chinese food, I might be biased!:D

Pastrami at Deli

Chicken Fajita wrap on room service menu-People, please order this when you want room service, this should be at the Deli onboard.

Sea Day Brunches

Fish&Chips-Sorry, I really love the place.:p

Carnival Cruises

Edited by rooster1961

Oh, I forgot to add

Overrated: Faster to the fun. You people are paying $50 to get on the ship an hour before me. I'll just sleep in more, get to port at my leisure, and still have a fine time.

(Though it may be worth it for itineraries that see a lot of tenders).

I agree with you. However, I did purchase it for the first time for our upcoming cruise on the Pride; due to tendered ports.

After this cruise I will decide if it will be worth it again, I am presuming not.

I love the WCMC, but from what I am reading here, maybe it has slipped a bit in recent years. I guess I will find out in a week!

So glad to see somebody else thinking that about balconies. I love balconies, but man some of the people here are nuts about them. On multiple occasions some folks have claimed that they'd rather just not cruise at all if a balcony was not an option. Are you kidding me?!?! They're great, but not a deal breaker.

I am with you on the balconies, not a deal breaker. They are great, but I will stay in a cheaper room and spend my money on other things(or not). We tend not to spend a lot of time in our room anyway.

For the right price though, I will upgrade to a balcony.

Fish&Chips very under rated. Fish&Chips gets more crowded toward the end of cruises as more people discover it. Just off the Liberty and on day 6 of 7 day cruise we passed Guys Burgers on the way to Fish&Chips and there was no line at Guys, arriving at Fish&Chips and there were 12 people in line, we added to the line.

What is overhyped to some may be under hyped to others..what it boils down to is PERSONAL TASTE...what YOU LIKE...these are opinions..I say try everything and YOU FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF:D

For me:

Under hyped:

FTTF

Sunrise and Sunset

Family or Spouse Time together

Fried Oysters

Seeing a port/culture and introducing my children to that

Fish and Chips

Blue Iguana

Overhyped:

Most of the Food

Guys Burgers

Partying till you barf each night :rolleyes:

a lot of the comedians ( one guy spent 30 minutes on women's periods):rolleyes:

One last underrated item. The cakes for special occasions from Cherry On Top. We usually get one because our anniversary is usually on the ship. They are many times tastier than the regular cake on the MDR or from the buffet.

That reminds me of another thing underrated off the beaten path. We did a vow renewal on the Legend for our 10th aniversary. They did a great job, handled it well, set it all up and was able to keep my DW (who did not know until we were walking up to the chapel) in the dark.

The cake they made for the affair was excellent and exactly to my specifications, and they were able to get us some at our pre planned steakhouse meal that evening and we could have a slice anytime we asked in the MDR.

now I know most people won't do a vow renewal but they really did a top notch job and it was well worth the $ for the reactions it got from my DW and our two DD's who were able to see this event. YMMV

One last underrated item. The cakes for special occasions from Cherry On Top. We usually get one because our anniversary is usually on the ship. They are many times tastier than the regular cake on the MDR or from the buffet.

Hmmm, have never tried the special occasion cakes, but now I really, really, really want to. :-)

Hmmm, have never tried the special occasion cakes, but now I really, really, really want to. :-)

Me, too! Our 25th Anniversary is on the Glory leaving at the end of next month. Hmmmm, might have to order one for THE night.:)

Guys is overrated, I found it just a mound of grease with no taste, chocolate melting cake- did not see what the big deal was with this dessert, it was nothing special

underrated - my husband and kids love the reuben

fish and chips is the best, always fresh and never had a bad meal there

Overrated.... WCMC

FTTF

SHOWS

SHOPS

Underrated ROOM SERVICE

SEA DAY BRUNCH

FANTASY CLASS SHIPS

Nice list!

YES!

Overrated- Bahamas/Mexico- I can live the rest of my life never going back!

Underrated- San Juan, I love it there!

I love San Juan too. Going back in February!