What's Over Hyped and What's Underrated?

curious_st

Interesting topic and replies. Thank you for starting & continuing this. I'm taking notes

My two cents, worth about what you paid for it:

OVERRATED: WCMC, Elegant nights

UNDERRATED: Hasbro, Eastern Caribbean islands (except St. Thomas), buffet for dinner, the Boulevard on Promenade Deck

Overrated:

Also overrated Dining room lunch/brunch. Geesh on the Liberty there was a line 30-40 people deep. Once we finally got sat at a table for Brunch, service was a train wreck. We wanted to redeem our free drink coupon. By the time we did get our drinks the drinks were watered down from melty ice. So not worth the wait on a nice sea day.

Underrated

Breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana. Seriously people these are so stinking good and way better than anything at the Lido buffet. Except maybe the cooked to order omelets.

Comedy shows. Yes theres a line, but my husband and I literally laugh our butts off during these shows. Even the family friendly ones.

I was on the Pride and even one of the waiters made a joke about the service with the free drink coupon . He said " its sad you wait an hour for a drink that you finish in one minute."

The only reason I downed the drink that fast was because my brunch was finished and we had been waiting at the table that was completely cleared off.

Just off the Pride week before last:

Underrated

*Diane Ford....actually I've never seen her rated but she was HILARIOUS!

*2 sign language interpreters in a comedy show.....its AWESOME!!!

*Reading a good book on the balcony instead of doing things like watching hairy chest contests.....we enjoy the peace and tranquility.

After almost walking out on that gross male comic in the first minute, (it was too dark to see to walk out from where I was) those sign language interpreters stole the show!!! I never laughed so hard!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

overhyped-

WCMC

Guy's burgers

balconies

photos inside with all the props

So glad to see somebody else thinking that about balconies. I love balconies, but man some of the people here are nuts about them. On multiple occasions some folks have claimed that they'd rather just not cruise at all if a balcony was not an option. Are you kidding me?!?! They're great, but not a deal breaker.

Overrated:

Hasbro

CD as entertainment

The Deli

The Pizza Pirate (Even the non-gluten free)

Lobster Night

The Old "Non-Guys Hamburgers" They were gosh awful. The reason Guy's is somewhat overrated is because of the old, pale, long held, no char, tasteless hamburgers. Any improvement will get accolades.

Guy's Burgers: They're good but not the be all, end all of burgers.

Mongolian Wok. I've tried it four or five times and was always underwhelmed. But the lines are sure long so people must like it.

Their gluten free breads and pizza crust.

Underrated:

Fish and Chips

Alchemy Bar

Steakhouse - A tad pricey but on par, or better than just about any other line's.

Punchliner's

Cabins

CD as a manager: To make sure things are on schedule and there are enough activities scheduled and staffed.

WCMC: I know but I'm gluten free and other than ice cream or cheese it's the only other dessert I can have made gluten free that tastes edible. ;)

Bang for your buck.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

Oh, I forgot to add

Overrated: Faster to the fun. You people are paying $50 to get on the ship an hour before me. I'll just sleep in more, get to port at my leisure, and still have a fine time.

(Though it may be worth it for itineraries that see a lot of tenders).

So you are $50 richer than me, I'm happy for you! :p I will continue to buy FTTF until I'm platinum, and it's not about the "me first" of it all! I travel solo and juggling luggage while trying to get something to eat is awkward, so being able to drop all my stuff off right after boarding and receiving my checked luggage sooner is worth it to ME.

I travel from the "left" coast, so perhaps those of you who live closer can comfortably arrive later.....

Everyone seems to have the same general list.

Overrated: any one who posts that bitter & blanc is overrated...looking at you OP!

anyone who posts tea time as overrated...again OP, we'll have to keep out eye on you...

The Mongolian Wok (seriously, I waited in line that long for THIS?)
I agree, not worth they hype.

Overrated WCMC particularly when Bitter and Blanc is also offered.
now this is what I'm talking about, excellent top notch UNDERRATED post! :cool:

So glad to see somebody else thinking that about balconies. I love balconies, but man some of the people here are nuts about them. On multiple occasions some folks have claimed that they'd rather just not cruise at all if a balcony was not an option. Are you kidding me?!?! They're great, but not a deal breaker.

Gonna disagree,,,,'once you've gone balcony, why go back'!:D

No better place for us on a sea day then on our balcony!

Getting room service first thing every morning, I am an unruly BEAR before my 2nd cup of coffee, and that cup of coffee on the balcony in the morning is bliss!:D

Oh, I forgot to add

Overrated: Faster to the fun. You people are paying $50 to get on the ship an hour before me. I'll just sleep in more, get to port at my leisure, and still have a fine time.

Or skipping silly long lines at check-in. Or families with young kids getting to their stateroom sooner.

Gonna disagree,,,,'once you've gone balcony, why go back'!:D

No better place for us on a sea day then on our balcony!

Getting room service first thing every morning, I am an unruly BEAR before my 2nd cup of coffee, and that cup of coffee on the balcony in the morning is bliss!:D

nope...once you've had a suite with butlers why go back'! ;)

Or skipping silly long lines at check-in. Or families with young kids getting to their stateroom sooner.

Just arrive at the port about 2 pm. Minimal traffic and less time waiting/checking-in than if you arrived early with FTTF. Straight to the room. Yeah you might miss one "feeding" but so what. Also no need for FTTF at tender ports if you book excursions through carnival.

Overrated: A wrap around balcony. It was really nice but so hot we couldn't use it that much during the day.

Nassau and St. Thomas. So tired of these two stops.

Underrated: Anytime Dining, so many dislike but we love this option and very rarely have had to wait. If you go before 6:30 there is usually no line. We ask for the same wait staff every time and then we build a rapport with them over the week.

Fish & Chips - Its actually more about the space above the Lido that is quiet and underutilized.

Guy's Burgers are pretty good if you can't have the bun like me. The burger taste is way above the previous grill and there are lots more toppings to choose from. Great fries too

Just arrive at the port about 2 pm. Minimal traffic and less time waiting/checking-in than if you arrived early with FTTF. Straight to the room. Yeah you might miss one "feeding" but so what. Also no need for FTTF at tender ports if you book excursions through carnival.

nope don't want to arrive at 2PM.

So you are $50 richer than me, I'm happy for you! :p I will continue to buy FTTF until I'm platinum, and it's not about the "me first" of it all! I travel solo and juggling luggage while trying to get something to eat is awkward, so being able to drop all my stuff off right after boarding and receiving my checked luggage sooner is worth it to ME.

I travel from the "left" coast, so perhaps those of you who live closer can comfortably arrive later.....

If I weren't Platinum you better believe I would pay this little extra to get my hungry kiddos on board, LOL. They are old enough to sit now, snack, and play on their Ipads, but I can't imagine waiting 3-5 hours with younger children- or older parents, either. Standing in line for over an hour is no fun with kids or elderly parents. FTTF fills a great need IMHO for certain people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know, right? I like my coffee on an open deck, too; when the kids were really little it was great to let them sleep in and have my first cup on the balcony. Nowadays, when we wake up, we are outta there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

All this forum shows is that things are not over-hyped or under-hyped. The truth of the matter is that people like different things. When you start thinking that your taste for something or dislike of other things is the standard that everyone else needs to adapt to, or Carnival needs to adapt to, you are giving yourself too much credit for being correct about what you like and/or dislike. It is a question of taste, and every business that wants to succeed needs to provide a variety of things because they know that all people do not like the same things. What the consumer needs to learn that if you don't like something, there is a big chance that many other people will like it. To make the assumption that because you do not like a Guy's burger makes it an overhyped commodity is a ridiculous position to take. It just means you don't like it. Soooo, don't eat it! Sooo, don't take a survey! Sooo, don't waste cyber-space!

Oh, I forgot to add

Gotta agree with you on this one. What a waste of $50

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

I had the same thought regarding tenders, but then I realized that $50 for FTTF will let me arrive on time at non-Carnival excursions. In that case, it will more than pay for itself! My family of 4 is saving an average of $20 per person, per excursion by booking with local companies instead of Carnival. And since we tender for two days in Cabo, it makes it very worth it.

Also, I have two small kids, so being able to get right on and drop off our luggage and let them swim or something will be really nice!

As for overrated or underrated, I think it is all so subjective! For example, my family's all-time favorite activity is the Thriller dance class, but I'm sure most people think it is just silly. But for our group, it was hilarious, and so much fun!

Actually quite to opposite. I fly into port from Cleveland. And I always arrive the day before. I just sleep in, stay at the hotel to checkout (normally 11AM, but I usually talk them into longer), grab a shuttle/cab to the port, and by then, the Platinum/FTTF people are on and general boarding is well underway. The key is to ignore that "1:30PM" email Carnival sends out. Hit the sweet spot before that time but after early boarding is done.

Juggling luggage has never been an issue for me. I just keep a small day bag with me (the same I use in port) and check everything else. This isn't the airlines. Checked bags, aside from a pip to the porters, cost nothing. A tip to the porters is way cheaper than FTTF.

If you think it's worth it, more power to you. But the people here act like it's the only way to enjoy a cruise. It's not. Kind of like the comments above on balconies. It's nice and all, just overrated. I enjoy cruising just fine without it.

Tandoori Grill and Mongolian Wok definitely under hyped. I can eat there all week long! San Juan is indeed the best Caribbean port. It's a shame that the average stop doesn't allow enough time to explore too far. And it's a bigger shame that people badmouth San Juan because all they did was walk down a dark alley to Señor Frogs.

When I read about people who choose a ship because it has a Guy's Burgers, I have to scratch my head and say what the....??!!? And to me, that chocolate melting concoction looks like brown vomit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Definitely the Mongolian Wok...very good.