What's Over Hyped and What's Underrated?

curious_st

I sailed on Liberty earlier this month, and was so looking forward to the famed Guys Burger. When I finally got one, I was disappointed. It was good, but not great, and definitely did not live up to the CC hype.

So, what do you things do you think that CC over hypes and underrates? My list is below

Overhyped:

Guys Burger

The famed desserts (WCMC, Grand Marnier Soufflé, Bitter N Blanc)

Tea Time

Shows on Liberty

Underrated:

Fish N Chips

Blue Igauna (I could eat my body weight in watermelon jicama salsa)

Mongolian Wok

The brass band

San Juan (I have never been to a more beautiful place)

Underrated

Tandoor Grill

Red Frog Pulled Pork Sandwich

Cucina del Capitano pasta bar lunch

Quiet time in one's cabin :)

Overhyped/Overrated

The Chocolate Extravaganza

The VIFP party

Port shopping "seminars"

Fun Shops merchandise (including the $10 "sales")

Tandoori Grill and Mongolian Wok definitely under hyped. I can eat there all week long! San Juan is indeed the best Caribbean port. It's a shame that the average stop doesn't allow enough time to explore too far. And it's a bigger shame that people badmouth San Juan because all they did was walk down a dark alley to Señor Frogs.

When I read about people who choose a ship because it has a Guy's Burgers, I have to scratch my head and say what the....??!!? And to me, that chocolate melting concoction looks like brown vomit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Our last trip out of San Juan, my friend flew in three days early and enjoyed her stay before meeting me to go on the boat.

Our next trip that either starts or end at San Juan will have a week added on for us to spend there. And what time I have spent there on previous trips was great, so I am looking forward to doing that, and maybe even adding still another week for a two week stay.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

I definitely agree that Guys burgers are overhyped. They're good, but they cannot nearly live up to the hype that CC has created about them. Reading CC comments, you would think that these burgers are the greatest invention in the history of mankind. The Blue Iguana cantina, on the other hand, was great. I don't like that the Blue Iguana's existence eliminated the last midnight buffet (the Mexican buffet during a deck party) on the ships that have Blue Iguana, but I do love what Blue Iguana offers. My mom really loves the WCMC, but I don't care for it. I guess it's just a matter of taste. If you like that item, you really love it. If not, you never get it again.

As far as ships go, I definitely had the feeling that the Breeze was extremely overhyped. I still enjoyed it, but it cannot live up to the hype. And the most underrated ship is easily the Dream. It gets bashed mercilessly on these boards, yet it is by far my favorite ship. It definitely has the best entertainment.

Overhyped ports, in the general public, is definitely Nassau. We here at CC know better, but the general public have an image of pure heaven when they think of Nassau. I would say that Dominica is underrated, but a better word would be underutilized. It's such a spectacular port, and almost everyone seems to agree with that, but not enough ships go there.

Edited by k2excursion

Underrated (or at least not raved about enough) - THE REUBEN!!!! mmmm, mmmm, comes in room service too if you get like way too trashed like I do and friends and family suggest you stay in your room and not be seen in the MDR or Lido!

So I sent this reply to my DH this morning and explained the context. He replied with a hardy laugh and said if you two were ever on a ship together you should meet up. He LOVES the late night drunken reuben!!! And now that I know it comes in room service, I can walk him back to the room rather than keep him upright until we get to the deli and back to the room!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

So I sent this reply to my DH this morning and explained the context. He replied with a hardy laugh and said if you two were ever on a ship together you should meet up. He LOVES the late night drunken reuben!!! And now that I know it comes in room service, I can walk him back to the room rather than keep him upright until we get to the deli and back to the room!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

LOL, cool! It must be an Ohio thing :)

underhyped-

cheese plate

heated loungers in cloud 9 spa (I could nap there every afternoon; it's pure bliss)

White or chocolate cake from the coffee shop

sea day brunch huevos rancheros

private outdoor photo shoot

overhyped-

WCMC

Guy's burgers

balconies

photos inside with all the props

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I too, agree with about 95% of the comments above. Personally I think:

Over rated: GUYS burgers - Carnival "Sunshine" - WCMC

Under rated: Fish-n-Chips - Shows on "Liberty" -BBQ Ribs in the Dining Room - Fantasy Class Ships, and "Paradise" and "Ecstasy" in particular.

"SKY"

Overrated:

The Mongolian Wok (seriously, I waited in line that long for THIS?)

All the desserts (they are OK, but not the best stuff ever; this isn't just MDR, it is also the buffet)

The Deli (seriously, people, it's a sandwich. I get far better at my home deli)

Midnight Buffets (They lead to a lot of waste for a reason)

The production shows (I could watch decent covers of popular songs of youtube and a dozen reality shows if I wanted)

Balconies (They offer little privacy, and I can always find viewing space on the public decks)

The Bahamas (I find them all uninteresting, they are only common ports as they are the closest to the east coast)

Underrated:

Fish and Chips (the tastiest lunch I've found on lido)

The Wine Pairing class (hit and miss, but you learn something, and taste a few wines)

The Comedy shows (far better than comedy on other lines, that is not available most nights)

The Piano bar (Another great amenity not offered elsewhere)

The forward outside "secret" decks (on some ships) - no better place to look at the stars on ship and reflect

Non-caribbean itineraries

I am laughing at all the people saying WCMC is over-hyped and I would have not been on that list until our last cruise , but it was just god awful. We tried it 4 or 5 nights and it was just terrible . It was one of favorite things everything cruise . But for some reason they seemed to have forgot how to make it . It was either raw or way way over done. I know they are cooking for a ton of people that never stopped it from being right on my 10 previous cruises.

AS for other things Red Frog Beer for me , I love draft beer and that type of beers , but man I think that stuff is just awful.

Blue Iguana Cantina way under hyped ....Love Breakfast there , lunch what ever could eat there all day:D

Oh, I forgot to add

Overrated: Faster to the fun. You people are paying $50 to get on the ship an hour before me. I'll just sleep in more, get to port at my leisure, and still have a fine time.

(Though it may be worth it for itineraries that see a lot of tenders).

I agree that Guy's Burgers are overrated. Particularly the Pigwhatever. But I think it is because a) compared to the burgers that came before (and are still available) and b) Guy Fieri is overrated.

Underrated is the Fish & Chips. Never a line, Good taste. Watermelon Ceviche.

Overrated WCMC particularly when Bitter and Blanc is also offered.

Overrated. Lobster. Warm Water Lobsters are just large shrimp, and you can get a Shrimp Cocktail every night. Sure it is a nice change, but it just ain't true Lobster. Particularly when they make thousands at a time.

Overrated:

WCMC- seriously. Go home and undercook a pan of betty crocker brownies. There you have it. WCMC. I don't get it. I tried it a few times and it's just not that great. It tastes like undercooked brownies.

Also overrated Dining room lunch/brunch. Geesh on the Liberty there was a line 30-40 people deep. Once we finally got sat at a table for Brunch, service was a train wreck. We wanted to redeem our free drink coupon. By the time we did get our drinks the drinks were watered down from melty ice. So not worth the wait on a nice sea day.

Underrated

Breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana. Seriously people these are so stinking good and way better than anything at the Lido buffet. Except maybe the cooked to order omelets.

Comedy shows. Yes theres a line, but my husband and I literally laugh our butts off during these shows. Even the family friendly ones.

Just off the Pride week before last:

Overrated:

*Guys burgers....better than the old burgers but still not a great burger

*Playlist shows...bad bad bad bad bad

*WCMC.....didn't like them in the past....didn't order any on this cruise

Underrated

*Diane Ford....actually I've never seen her rated but she was HILARIOUS!

*2 sign language interpreters in a comedy show.....its AWESOME!!!

*Reading a good book on the balcony instead of doing things like watching hairy chest contests.....we enjoy the peace and tranquility.

Notes to Carnival

*Please wash the windows when you have a ship in drydock for pete's sake!

*Please don't close half the lido deck eateries before dinner...are you kidding me!

*Please bring back the orchestra and full cast to the shows....you have completely gutted them!