Am I Going to Get Death Stares for Dress Code on a 3 night Enchantment?

I'm not arguing that what you quoted was not on their website. And under "What to Pack" it still shows "smart casual." We all know that has changed, but for a "newbie" it would only result in carrying a jacket that wasn't necessary. If you go to FAQ or type in "dress code" in the search function you will see the updated dress definitions. Seriously, it isn't that hard. We all really know what they suggest for dining on their ships. If you are so easily confused, well... all I can suggest is you ask a trusted friend if they could interpret the dress code suggestions. Even a "newbie" should be able to figure out that jeans, t-shirts, and shorts are not part of the suggested dress.

Well... if you mean do they ACTUALLY say "no jeans," no. I know, I know it's hard these days to determine what is meant by such an "ambiguous" term as "formal wear." So, I decided I'd google it and get the definition. Here it is, copied and pasted:

"for·mal·wear

ˈfôrməlwer/

noun

noun: formal-wear

clothing, such as tuxedos and evening gowns, for formal social occasions."

I know, it doesn't say "no jeans." Then again, it doesn't say "jeans" are formal wear. But there is more. Here is the definition from the FAQ section on RCI"s website:

"Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional) "

I know, I know.. it doesn't say "jeans are not acceptable."

But wait... there is more! Here is a quote from RCI's website under "What to Pack":

"Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women...

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men."

I know, I know... it doesn't say "jeans are not formal wear." But wait.... it does say this:

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

And yet people still ask "can I wear shorts in the dining room." And people still wear t-shirts.

So LMaxwell, here's the thing. I am an airline pilot. And in all of our operating manuals, training guides, maintenance manuals, FAA manuals, and we have many of them, it does NOT say "wings on aircraft required to be installed prior to takeoff." Nor does it say "all designated engines are required to be installed and operable prior to takeoff." There are just some things that we are expected to know.

There is nowhere on this planet where Jeans fit into this definition:

"Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional) "

Hey... bottom line, wear what you like. But come on... don't say "gee it doesn't actually say I can't wear jeans on formal night." None of us are that stupid.

Lol you just wrote a novel for nothing! Your peoples old ways and thinking are swiftly becoming extinxt. Stop fighting and the inevitable as cruise lines just dont care any longer. Dont like tjae fact that the mass cruise lines are changing to accommodate the younger, more casual generation, than I would suggest you pony up the money and cruise on a luxury line such as Cunard, otherwise get over it.

You are the one that said jeans are not acceptable. I asked where it says that. It doesnt. Therefore it's your own personal opinion ONLY and should carry a disclaimer as such.

No... unless of course you consider a jeans a tux or suit. Never seen a "levi tux." Come on LMaxwell... really.... you're really going to say this stuff? Do you actually consider jeans as a form of Formal Wear? Come on.... give me a break.... are you a lawyer or something? You know exactly what I'm saying.

Lol you just wrote a novel for nothing! Your peoples old ways and thinking are swiftly becoming extinxt. Stop fighting and the inevitable as cruise lines just dont care any longer. Dont like tjae fact that the mass cruise lines are changing to accommodate the younger, more casual generation, than I would suggest you pony up the money and cruise on a luxury line such as Cunard, otherwise get over it.

Yeah...you're right. My "peoples?" I have "people" (not plural)? My way of thinking is no where near "extinct" (spelled e-x-t-i-n-c-t). You actually don't know how I think. You only know that I can read the dress code. That's it. Then again, maybe the difference between my "people" (not plural) and yours is that we can actually "read." Oh well.... as I said you are right. Believe it or not my parents generation said the same about us. Bob Dillon defined it best "the times they are a changing." Couldn't agree more.

No... unless of course you consider a jeans a tux or suit. Never seen a "levi tux." Come on LMaxwell... really.... you're really going to say this stuff? Do you actually consider jeans as a form of Formal Wear? Come on.... give me a break.... are you a lawyer or something? You know exactly what I'm saying.

Yeah...you're right. My "peoples?" I have "people" (not plural)? My way of thinking is no where near "extinct" (spelled e-x-t-i-n-c-t). You actually don't know how I think. You only know that I can read the dress code. That's it. Then again, maybe the difference between my "people" (not plural) and yours is that we can actually "read." Oh well.... as I said you are right. Believe it or not my parents generation said the same about us. Bob Dillon defined it best "the times they are a changing." Couldn't agree more.

Are jeans acceptable to Royal Caribbean on formal night? Yes.

Are jeans acceptable to Papaflamingo on formal night? No.

Do you see the difference now?

For the record I would never tell anyone, or believe myself for a moment, that jeans are formal wear. But that wasn't the matter at hand. You are inserting your opinion, which is fine, but trying to pass it off as fact as seen through the eyes of RCI, which it is most certainly not. Preface your opinions as such. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but passing it off as the same thing as the rules of the cruise line does not pass the sniff test. Just calling this one on facts.

Are jeans acceptable to Royal Caribbean on formal night? Yes.

Are jeans acceptable to Papaflamingo on formal night? No.

Do you see the difference now?

For the record I would never tell anyone, or believe myself for a moment, that jeans are formal wear. But that wasn't the matter at hand. You are inserting your opinion, which is fine, but trying to pass it off as fact as seen through the eyes of RCI, which it is most certainly not. Preface your opinions as such. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but passing it off as the same thing as the rules of the cruise line does not pass the sniff test. Just calling this one on facts.

Ok... this is getting old and boring. Obviously I have way too much time on my hands so I continue with this ridiculous discussion. But I'm out. Getting to nasty. So let me finish off with an attempt to make my "opinion" very clear. WARNING....WARNING...WARNING....OPINION ONLY TO FOLLOW. Is that an acceptable "preface?"

Royal Caribbean clearly (at least it seems pretty clear to me) states what "dress" they want at dinner. So, you say that me saying jeans is unacceptable is "my opinion only." Ok... except the dress code is specific, "tux or suit." No where does it say "jeans are acceptable." So, LMaxwell, I would suppose that you saying they are acceptable would, likewise, only be YOUR opinion. Perhaps YOU should practice what you preach and "preface your opinion as such."

Anyway, here's the bottom line. I seriously don't care what someone wears. I like "tradition." Maybe I am getting old and becoming a "dinosaur." But I like tradition. I, MY OPINION ONLY, feel that as we get rid of the old traditions of cruising, then it becomes less and less of what I loved about the whole cruise experience. No more steel bands at sailaway. No more Formal dinners, no more theme nights, no more midnight buffets, no more chocolate buffets. No more Horse Races at the pool. Fewer and fewer pool games. Upcharge dining. Ok, that's how the people want it, so be it. But I feel (my opinion again) that cruising has become more "vanilla." It's become a "moving hotel." The service has deteriorated and seems to continue to do so. So what does Formal Night have to do with this? Well, since no one else seems to care, neither do the waiters and chefs. It's just "another dinner." Nothing special.

Anyway, I find that sad. But they are trying to accommodate the younger "more casual" generation. Those that seem more interested in zip lines and flow riders than a formal evening. Ok... it is as it is.

IMHO (that's textspeak for in my humble opinion. Will it suffice as a preface?) we have Walmarted America. We want things "on the cheap." No effort put forward by anyone. So goes the cruise industry.

In all honesty, I don't want Cunard, as someone suggested. I like the fun and nightlife of RCI. I'm not really that old yet. So, I am happy to forgo the formal discussion. Therefore I defer to the "me generation" Good luck.

Edited by papaflamingo

Ok... this is getting old and boring. Obviously I have way too much time on my hands so I continue with this ridiculous discussion. But I'm out. Getting to nasty. So let me finish off with an attempt to make my "opinion" very clear. WARNING....WARNING...WARNING....OPINION ONLY TO FOLLOW. Is that an acceptable "preface?"

Royal Caribbean clearly (at least it seems pretty clear to me) states what "dress" they want at dinner. So, you say that me saying jeans is unacceptable is "my opinion only." Ok... except the dress code is specific, "tux or suit." No where does it say "jeans are acceptable." So, LMaxwell, I would suppose that you saying they are acceptable would, likewise, only be YOUR opinion. Perhaps YOU should practice what you preach and "preface your opinion as such."

Anyway, here's the bottom line. I seriously don't care what someone wears. I like "tradition." Maybe I am getting old and becoming a "dinosaur." But I like tradition. I, MY OPINION ONLY, feel that as we get rid of the old traditions of cruising, then it becomes less and less of what I loved about the whole cruise experience. No more steel bands at sailaway. No more Formal dinners, no more theme nights, no more midnight buffets, no more chocolate buffets. No more Horse Races at the pool. Fewer and fewer pool games. Upcharge dining. Ok, that's how the people want it, so be it. But I feel (my opinion again) that cruising has become more "vanilla." It's become a "moving hotel." The service has deteriorated and seems to continue to do so. So what does Formal Night have to do with this? Well, since no one else seems to care, neither do the waiters and chefs. It's just "another dinner." Nothing special.

Anyway, I find that sad. But they are trying to accommodate the younger "more casual" generation. Those that seem more interested in zip lines and flow riders than a formal evening. Ok... it is as it is.

IMHO (that's textspeak for in my humble opinion. Will it suffice as a preface?) we have Walmarted America. We want things "on the cheap." No effort put forward by anyone. So goes the cruise industry.

In all honesty, I don't want Cunard, as someone suggested. I like the fun and nightlife of RCI. I'm not really that old yet. So, I am happy to forgo the formal discussion. Therefore I defer to the "me generation" Good luck.

It's not a dress code. Just a suggestion. It merely exists to provide an example of what their wording means since guests come from diverse international backgrounds. It is not a rigid requirement. Jeans being acceptable isn't my opinion, it is a fact of reality. There's no sign saying it isn't allowed. In fact there's no sign saying military dress isn't allowed but many former military members wear their dress uniforms and medals on cruises when military code actually forbids it. It's also not in the rough guidelines of the definition of formal wear examples. Neither are kilts. Neither are stretchy black pants and godawful bedazzled blouses for women, but there you go.

I agree with much of what you say in regards to cruising traditions being abandoned and feel similarly on many, but not all, points. And yes I did see someone tell you to go to a different cruise line. The stuff irks me too. As a paying customer you have full rights to voice your opinions and ask for the cruise product you desire from the company you like. I wish you safe travels, whether on the sea or in the air.

Edit: you say these changes and degradations (my word, but you may agree) such as steel drum bands, horse racing, midnight buffets, etc. Going away are what people want. That is where I disagree. I think it's pure cost cutting by the cruise line and the majority of people don't know what they are even missing!

Edited by LMaxwell

You are inserting your opinion, which is fine, but trying to pass it off as fact as seen through the eyes of RCI, which it is most certainly not. Preface your opinions as such. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but passing it off as the same thing as the rules of the cruise line does not pass the sniff test. Just calling this one on facts.
It's not a dress code. Just a suggestion.

Sorry, but now you're doing exactly what you chastised papa about - "inserting your opinion but trying to pass it off as fact as seen through the eyes of RCI, which it is most certainly not."

The RCI website clearly & unequivocally uses the wording "dress code."

Sorry, but now you're doing exactly what you chastised papa about - "inserting your opinion but trying to pass it off as fact as seen through the eyes of RCI, which it is most certainly not."

The RCI website clearly & unequivocally uses the wording "dress code."

Maybe the word "code" is what causes all the heart aches. Since RCI does not enforce it maybe that is why I view them as rough descriptive guidelines. Even the ship they use the word suggestion and not code or requirement. They make no mention of formal dress required in public areas after certain times, such as HAL does. Consistently inconsistent. Then again RCI is not nearly as conservative as HAL.

My discussions with RCI indicate there will be changes in the near future that appeal to things I'd like to see on casual nights (not really relevant to formal nights) and perhaps things you won't be as accepting of. RCI doesn't wish to stay as traditional.

Side note; my mind races at imagining what the best dressed (or not dressed) people on your last cruise were wearing. [emoji106]

It's not a dress code. Just a suggestion. It merely exists to provide an example of what their wording means since guests come from diverse international backgrounds. It is not a rigid requirement. Jeans being acceptable isn't my opinion, it is a fact of reality. There's no sign saying it isn't allowed. In fact there's no sign saying military dress isn't allowed but many former military members wear their dress uniforms and medals on cruises when military code actually forbids it. It's also not in the rough guidelines of the definition of formal wear examples. Neither are kilts. Neither are stretchy black pants and godawful bedazzled blouses for women, but there you go.

I agree with much of what you say in regards to cruising traditions being abandoned and feel similarly on many, but not all, points. And yes I did see someone tell you to go to a different cruise line. The stuff irks me too. As a paying customer you have full rights to voice your opinions and ask for the cruise product you desire from the company you like. I wish you safe travels, whether on the sea or in the air.

Edit: you say these changes and degradations (my word, but you may agree) such as steel drum bands, horse racing, midnight buffets, etc. Going away are what people want. That is where I disagree. I think it's pure cost cutting by the cruise line and the majority of people don't know what they are even missing!

I know I said that I was done with this discussion, but I must comment on one of your comments: "many former military members wear their dress uniforms and medals on cruises when military code actually forbids it." That is actually incorrect. Active Duty can wear the uniform anytime with some exceptions like political rallies, speeches, etc. There is a prescribed uniform, such as Mess Dress that is Formal Wear and only to be worn to Formal functions.

Retirees are authorized to wear the uniform at certain civilian functions including weddings, balls, etc. Formal Night, although not officially a "ball," would likely fall under that definition.

Also, kilts are Formal wear in Scotland.

I agree that ending midnight buffets are definitely cost cutting. As are many other things.

Take care. I seriously need to get a life. Now I'm really out of this discussion. :)

Edited by papaflamingo

[quote=LMaxwell;44927336................

Side note; my mind races at imagining what the best dressed (or not dressed) people on your last cruise were wearing. [emoji106]

WHAT??? You haven't seen the infamous chain mail dress?:eek:

Well, maybe it was over the top for LetsGetWet's cruise.;)

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't care what you wear as long as it fits the body well.

On my last cruise on EOS in October one of our dinner mates had her breasts falling out of her suit jacket onto the table. (Seriously, she rested her boobs on the table)

She wore only a skippy bra and a suit jacket.no shirt… This can be a great look, but not if you are a 40GGG bra size!:eek:

I was on the FOS 12/7 and the only thing that I read in the cruise compass that was not allowed at dinner any night was swimwear, flip flops and sports shorts. I did see people wear dress shorts into the MDR on all nights EXCEPT formal night. There were people who were turned away because they were wearing shorts on formal night. I saw jeans everynight and no one said a word.

I have sailed Enchantment many years ago on a 7 night with my kids when they were young. Have sailed on the Sovereign and Monarch 3 night without kids.

Sailing this weekend on the EOS for my birthday with 6 kids - all girls who like to dress cute and 1 boy. I have a teenage son who is 13 and being from Central Florida NEVER wears pants. I mean never not even jeans.

Are we going to get death stares if he is in American Eagle or Hollister Khaki shorts and nice polo for dinner in the MDR?

As I was reading this I started to think you would get stares, if your son was wearing a dress.....but shorts....not a problem....there will always be people who stare....they need to start being concerned about a lot more things than what other people are wearing to the MDR.

Enjoy....and wear what you want!!!

I know I said that I was done with this discussion, but I must comment on one of your comments: "many former military members wear their dress uniforms and medals on cruises when military code actually forbids it." That is actually incorrect. Active Duty can wear the uniform anytime with some exceptions like political rallies, speeches, etc. There is a prescribed uniform, such as Mess Dress that is Formal Wear and only to be worn to Formal functions.

Retirees are authorized to wear the uniform at certain civilian functions including weddings, balls, etc. Formal Night, although not officially a "ball," would likely fall under that definition.

No.

He does need to know there is a time and a place for everything! And this is one of those times he should be expected to dress as a "young gentleman".... These rules should be understood prior to paying for his ticket!

My son hated it but understood there were occasions when he needed to dress as a gentleman!

Sorry not judging, but maybe this is a good learning opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

So, basically you cannot control your 13 year old!

Shame on you.

He does need to know there is a time and a place for everything! And this is one of those times he should be expected to dress as a "young gentleman".... These rules should be understood prior to paying for his ticket!

My son hated it but understood there were occasions when he needed to dress as a gentleman!

To both of these people, there are many other issues worth having a fight about than clothes (whether on a cruise ship vacation or otherwise in some families). It isn't your place to determine how other parents should choose to raise their children.

But if the most stressful thing this young man goes through in his life is wearing shorts to the MDR, then these parents have done a wonderful job instilling the values of honesty (as an example) and avoiding peer pressure to keep him away from drugs and other dangerous activities.

It was a question of shorts in the MDR room, for heaven's sake!

Sorry not judging, but maybe this is a good learning opportunity!

No judging involved at all.... As a mother and a grandmother just possible helpful advise as to a possible overlooked learning opportunity!

I am familiar with little boys and teenage boys and they are a stubborn bunch and sometimes need added incentive ... A cruise is great incentive!!! JMHO

Parenting I will leave to the parents and no, few people will care what a 13 yr old wears ..... However will he make it past the front door on Formal night? I can't answer that...

Edited by nana541

Yeah he is all boy and the problem being that he is 13 but a big kid......5'6" and 150 lbs. He wears mens clothing and as a single mom I can't fathom shelling out $100 for 3 pairs of pants. I did just order him a long pair of khaki chino's for "formal night" and will tell him that is required. I do want to see what my handsome son looks like in other than his regular school shorts. He is all about Hollister and American Eagle, so at least he has good taste!

Seems in Post 13 the OP had already decided her plan of action!

Enjoy your cruise and your family :)

There are times and place requiring suitable clothing and / or formal wear. The annual fellows dinner I attended recently with colleagues called for such formal wear. A 3 day getaway with family I would not consider as such. To that I say, whatever choice you make is fine really. Choose what will work best for your family to enjoy. And then do be sure to enjoy!

Best-

Steve

To both of these people, there are many other issues worth having a fight about than clothes (whether on a cruise ship vacation or otherwise in some families). It isn't your place to determine how other parents should choose to raise their children.

But if the most stressful thing this young man goes through in his life is wearing shorts to the MDR, then these parents have done a wonderful job instilling the values of honesty (as an example) and avoiding peer pressure to keep him away from drugs and other dangerous activities.

It was a question of shorts in the MDR room, for heaven's sake!

Well said! I thought these replies were uncalled for. And if he's anything like my son, she is buying new clothes every 3 months because they grow so fast!! Who wants to pay for clothes and shoes they will not wear again in 3 months.

If it fits, its fine for the ship!