Traveling documents questions

Ronie_Ver

There are so many answers to these questions on Google so I'm a bit lost. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. My sister has a green card and a driver's license, is that enough for a cruise to the Bahamas? (I read that it's enough to enter US but not the Bahamas:confused:)

2. Does she need a consent letter from the father of kids? (Also read that she ABSOLUTELY MUST have it)

3.Does she have to bring the original birth certificates for kids, or just the copies?

Thanks in advance!

There are so many answers to these questions on Google so I'm a bit lost. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. My sister has a green card and a driver's license, is that enough for a cruise to the Bahamas? (I read that it's enough to enter US but not the Bahamas:confused:)

Here is a link to Carnivals page with the requirements. Scroll down to Cruise Travel. You will find their official policies for Us Citizens (including a listing for "Original Certificate of Naturalization"). There are separate sections for U.S. Alien Residents

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1394828

2. Does she need a consent letter from the father of kids? (Also read that she ABSOLUTELY MUST have it)

Yes

3.Does she have to bring the original birth certificates for kids, or just the copies?

The Birth Certificates need to be Original with the raised seal or stamp, not just photo copies.

Thanks in advance!

When in doubt error on the side of safety. Bring the fathers letter of consent, and if at all possible get passports. If passports are not an option for any reason, read that carnival link and call them if you have any questions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks in advance!

#1 - She needs an unexpired green card with photo id. If the green card doesn't have a photo, she would also need the drivers license. She would also need to consult with the appropriate consulates and embassy to see if any additional documentation is required.

#2 - It is strongly recommended that a letter from an absent parent be brought. That being said, I've never been asked for one.

#3 - As long as it is a copy of a government birth certificate (issued from city, state, dept of vital statistics, etc) a copy is fine. Leave the original home to keep it safe. It's too hard to get replacements.

Thanks in advance!

The Bahamas may require something more for your sister depending on what country she is a citizen of, you'll need to check into that further.

A consent letter is not necessary but could be helpful to have.

As long as the kids are US born either the original or copy will work for them as long as they are under 16, if they are 16 or older they will also need government issued photo IDs.

#1 - She needs an unexpired green card with photo id. If the green card doesn't have a photo, she would also need the drivers license. She would also need to consult with the appropriate consulates and embassy to see if any additional documentation is required.

#2 - It is strongly recommended that a letter from an absent parent be brought. That being said, I've never been asked for one.

#3 - As long as it is a copy of a government birth certificate (issued from city, state, dept of vital statistics, etc) a copy is fine. Leave the original home to keep it safe. It's too hard to get replacements.

A "copy" is sometimes misunderstood. It is not a photo copy, but an original copy, or original replacement issued by the state/county/city of where you were born. An original is when you were born, you got it. A copy is when you replace a lost original. The copy looks just like the original, and sometimes the only way you will know it is not original is in small print, it says issue date.

It's like a passport. A copy is not accepted, only the original.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

You may want to consider having this on hand. I have heard of cruisers being denied boarding because they do not have consent from the other parent. Would hate for your vacation to be ruined by something so easy to obtain.

A "copy" is sometimes misunderstood. It is not a photo copy, but an original copy, or original replacement issued by the state/county/city of where you were born. An original is when you were born, you got it. A copy is when you replace a lost original. The copy looks just like the original, and sometimes the only way you will know it is not original is in small print, it says issue date.

This is not correct, the DHS regulations specifically state "original or copy" and the CCL FAQ specifies "readable photocopy". While it might be best to bring the original it is important to remember that a copy will work (I have read several threads where the OP had to have their birth certificate faxed to the port and it saved their cruise).

This is absolutely not true. The copy can be a xerox copy or a facsimile of the birth certificate.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

You may want to consider having this on hand. I have heard of cruisers being denied boarding because they do not have consent from the other parent. Would hate for your vacation to be ruined by something so easy to obtain.

The reason I asked the question is that it would be extremely hard to get the letter signed because the father is, let's just say, far far away. But we will definitely do our best to get it.

The reason I asked the question is that it would be extremely hard to get the letter signed because the father is, let's just say, far far away. But we will definitely do our best to get it.

I would call CCL to see what they say you should do!