Motion Sickness

izmeeh

Hello,

I'm taking some first timers on a cruise next week. 2 of them have severe motion sickness that I didn't know about when I booked. I booked the guaranteed rooms that ended up being the last rooms in the back.

One person tried the patch and some pills on a car trip last week, but she was sleepy the entire time. What can they do to help with motion sickness while still able to enjoy the trip?

I had problem with the vibration of the ship on the Lido deck at the buffet. I don't feel the vibration at the other parts of the ship. I can only imagine it being worst on the Riviera deck. Now, I feel like I shouldn't have upgraded us from our inside rooms to oceanview rooms.

Thank you for the suggestions.

They need to talk with their dr about other meds.

Most will use (generic forms of) Bonine or Dramamine.

Tart green apples, ginger, clear soda, plain crackers and raisins all help alleviate the symptoms.

Ginger can be found in many forms-- candies, candied, gum, chews, soda and pills.

Everything but the ginger is easily found at the buffet.

If feeling queasy, go out on deck and focus on the horizon. Helps your brain to adjust to the fluid shifts in the inner ears caused by movement of the ship. (Avoid reading a book during rougher seas for this reason.)

Some people say taking a nap helps.

Try to avoid an empty stomach.

Ginger seems to work. (I buy ginger chewing gum and chew it if at a port that requires me to take a tender to shore)

A crew member recommended green apples. I haven't tested them myself.

If needed, there are medications available for purchase on board at guest services. (At least in my experience.)

Edited by Momma1980

This is what I do. I take my Bonine at bedtime, so drowsiness isn't an issue. I take a ginger pill with every meal. It works like a charm! I start doing this a day before the cruise so all is in my system. I dont wait to be sick. We were on the dream in January and had some really bad weather (missed 2 ports) I was better then fine. The last night on our liberty cruise in October we had some really bad rocking. I was fine then as well.

But please have them check with their doctor before taking. Especially if they take medications.

I purchase all at Walmart (any pharmacy should have).

Have a great cruise!

Hello,

I'm taking some first timers on a cruise next week. 2 of them have severe motion sickness that I didn't know about when I booked. I booked the guaranteed rooms that ended up being the last rooms in the back.

One person tried the patch and some pills on a car trip last week, but she was sleepy the entire time. What can they do to help with motion sickness while still able to enjoy the trip?

I had problem with the vibration of the ship on the Lido deck at the buffet. I don't feel the vibration at the other parts of the ship. I can only imagine it being worst on the Riviera deck. Now, I feel like I shouldn't have upgraded us from our inside rooms to oceanview rooms.

Thank you for the suggestions.

They should try the patch OR the pills, not both together. My husband & I both experience sea sickness, and used the patch on our last cruise with great results! You can still drink. & not sleep the cruise away. The patch gets changed every 3 rd day. Good luck! Also it's good to keep little ginger candies as well. I read somewhere that green apples are suggested because they don't taste bad on the way back up ( ugh). Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just used a less drowsy form of drammamine and it worked well. I was a little tired, but nothing horrible. Only used them first and last sea days. I've also heard that taking one at night before bed carries over to the next day minus the drowsiness. Never tried it, but heard it works.

They should try the patch OR the pills, not both together. My husband & I both experience sea sickness, and used the patch on our last cruise with great results! You can still drink. & not sleep the cruise away. The patch gets changed every 3 rd day. Good luck! Also it's good to keep little ginger candies as well. I read somewhere that green apples are suggested because they don't taste bad on the way back up ( ugh). Lol

Definitely "OR" not "AND"

I am really against the patch as it's side effects and adverse reactions are really bad. But if someone really thinks it is needed, then testing it before travel is the way to go.

PP gave incorrect information - perhaps his experience, but not what the clinicians say. Among the warnings for this drug is "do not drink alcohol..." also "may cause drowsiness" and "may have disorienting effects." There are lots of other potential problems too, so definitely read what the manufacturer says.

Meclizene has worked for DW who had problems with seasickness until she used it. It is the chemical that is in Bonine and Less drowsy Dramamine. Can be purchased on bottles of 100 at most pharmacies and dept stores for very low price. Rugby brand is common and it comes in 25 mg or 12.5 mg for those who may be sensitive to it. The suggestion to take it at bedtime is a good one. Alcohol consumption does not seem to bother those who use meclizene.

Another solution that can help works on the same principle as Sea-Bands.

Two finger widths above the bend of your inner wrist, you will feel two tendons. Apply pressure in the area between the tendons and the symptoms of seasickness will go away for most people.

Avoid eating citrus !!!

Edited by swedish weave

Here is what my doctor recommended for me when I was concerned about nausea on the ship: First, try the sea bands, then try ginger Gravol ( pure ginger tablets), and if those did not work, then use the patch. And as a very last resort, she gave me a script upon my request, for stemetil which is the only drug that worked on my nausea after surgery. It was a miracle drug for me at the time of surgery. I only needed the sea bands when the water got a little rough but I was happy to have the other options just in case. Bottom line, talk to your doctor and see what he or she recommends.

Edited by Danni3ll3