Last minute cancellation

dznymom

I am just about to call NCL to cancel my Getaway cruise for this Saturday. I was traveling solo in an M6 and prepaid my $84 service charge.

I did not purchase insurance. I am not even sure this would be covered by insurance. My mother in law has advanced stage Alzheimer's & yesterday we were advised that hospice has been called in and they expect her to pass very soon. Anyone that has dealt with this knows that it is difficult to get specific, but the best we can gauge is a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I can't leave my husband to deal with all of this on his own, as he is the oldest child and responsible for making all the decisions and arrangements.

Anyway, I understand that I am in the 100% cancellation phase and I am perfectly fine with that. I expect that I will get my $84 back, but I was wondering if there are any other taxes or fees that I should be requesting, such as port charges, etc.

By the way, I'm not looking for anyone to tell me that I should have purchased insurance. I have done my own cost benefit analysis, and I am comfortable with my personal choice.

I am just about to call NCL to cancel my Getaway cruise for this Saturday. I was traveling solo in an M6 and prepaid my $84 service charge.

I did not purchase insurance. I am not even sure this would be covered by insurance. My mother in law has advanced stage Alzheimer's & yesterday we were advised that hospice has been called in and they expect her to pass very soon. Anyone that has dealt with this knows that it is difficult to get specific, but the best we can gauge is a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I can't leave my husband to deal with all of this on his own, as he is the oldest child and responsible for making all the decisions and arrangements.

Anyway, I understand that I am in the 100% cancellation phase and I am perfectly fine with that. I expect that I will get my $84 back, but I was wondering if there are any other taxes or fees that I should be requesting, such as port charges, etc.

By the way, I'm not looking for anyone to tell me that I should have purchased insurance. I have done my own cost benefit analysis, and I am comfortable with my personal choice.

I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. For your future reference know that insurance that covers pre-existing conditions also covers cancellation due to situations like that with non-cruising family members.

Besides your prepaid service charges I think you are also entitled to the return of fees and port charges.

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. I lost my mom last Spring to this terrible disease so I truly understand how difficult this situation is. You are doing the right thing by choosing to remain at your husband's side. He will definitely need your support.

Here is NCL's cancellation policy:

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

They may refund the port charges and government taxes and fees but it looks like you need to make the request in writing. Keep a copy of your request and stay on top of NCL until it is processed.

FYI for the future, yes, cruise insurance would have covered this situation, but your situation is what it is. So no sense in worrying about that now.

Again, my deepest sympathy at this very difficult time.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and empathetic responses. I really appreciate it and I know many of you have also faced heartbreaking times like this.

Thank you also for the specifics, as I have canceled the cruise and indeed will be refunded taxes and my service charge which amounts to around $200. The gentleman that I spoke to was very nice and understanding and made everything a bit easier.

For what it's worth to anyone in a similar situation, when I called JetBlue to cancel my flight fully expecting to pay the $150 cancellation fee, the fabulous agent asked for a bit of information so he could put it through in a way that I received full future credit for my flight with no fee charged. What great customer service!

Thanks again, and to all who resisted the urge to tell me I should have gotten insurance, thanks to you too :)

Insurance does cover the eminent death of immediate family. Of course you can't buy the insurance now as you are probably considered in the 48 hour period

Had you purchased it earlier most policies would kick in

And remember the pre existing thing only refers to you the traveler so your mil condition is not at issue

I only say this because posters will now say you mil condition is pre existing

Deepest sympathies to you and dh

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. For your future reference know that insurance that covers pre-existing conditions also covers cancellation due to situations like that with non-cruising family members.

Besides your prepaid service charges I think you are also entitled to the return of fees and port charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships