Carnival - Amber Cove-Dominican Republic

CarolRoy

The release says Glory will go there from Miami. I hope not. I chose particular cruise because it does HMC instead of Amber cove.

We are on the Glory out of Miami in late December. When we booked we stopped at HMC but that has been changed to Amber Cove.

When we dock here in two weeks, I plan on getting a taxi to the Teleferico Cable Car, and riding it all the way to the top of the mountain to look at the beautiful views of Puerto Plata and the landscape. If time and money allows, we will then take a taxi into Puerto Plata and do some on-our-own walking for fun, then a taxi back to the ship. If the taxis are obnoxious or we end up spending a lot of time at the Teleferico Cable Car area, we will most likely just taxi back to the ship, have lunch onboard, then get back off and enjoy the port area and the pool.

I am optimistic for my day in Amber Cove! :D

There was a very small strip of sand beach, to the left of the Amber Cove complex, but it was very small, and I did not see any chairs on it. Also not sure if the swimming is any good in that area. There were a couple of people moving about there, but they did not look like they were sunning or swimming, probably locals. Also on the other side of the bay, there was a beach and I did see people walking on it, but again, it did not appear to have chairs or any hotel nearby.

This is a reply to bobsfamily concerning a beach at the Amber Cove port: According to David Candib, VP Operations and Development for Carnival, there is not a beach at the port or within walking distance. He stated this on 10/20/15 on the day he took Q&A'S from the boards. So I would like to know where you got your info that you read and saw that there is a beach area at the port.

When we dock here in two weeks, I plan on getting a taxi to the Teleferico Cable Car, and riding it all the way to the top of the mountain to look at the beautiful views of Puerto Plata and the landscape. If time and money allows, we will then take a taxi into Puerto Plata and do some on-our-own walking for fun, then a taxi back to the ship. If the taxis are obnoxious or we end up spending a lot of time at the Teleferico Cable Car area, we will most likely just taxi back to the ship, have lunch onboard, then get back off and enjoy the port area and the pool.

I am optimistic for my day in Amber Cove! :D

Will be in Amber Cove in January. Plan on a taxi to town, then sightseeing for me, shopping for the women.

We were thinking of an all inclusive beach excursion for the day in Amber Cove.

We found two we liked the sound of (Riu, and Lifestyle). But then I looked them up on Trip Advisor. Disappointed.

Looks like Riu may have some food troubles, and when I brought it up to some friends who returned from a week there, they agreed. Half their group got sick. And it always makes me uncomfortable when the first few pages of reviews are all 5 out of 5, written by people who have only submitted one review.

I didn't realize Lifestyles is a timeshare type place, and from the sounds of the people who spent a week or two there, it got a little annoying. Maybe not for those of us there on a day pass?

Anyone been to a beach excursion at Amber Cove yet? Not a lot of reviews yet on the Carnival site.

We did the Punta Ricia beach excursion last week Nov 2. It is quite a bus ride somewhere between 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours but you do get to see alot of the country...most of what we saw was poor. The beach itself was beautiful and the coco loco drink delicious. A lunch was included although we didnt like the burgers. Soda and water included also. There is a water trampoline and platform there too. We really enjoyed our day but did not leave much time for shopping at the port.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk