Sam Adams Rebel IPA??

AnnaNimitee

Read a little bit ago that Carnival is adding Sam Adams Rebel IPA to its North American sailings. Very happy to see an IPA (even if not my very favorite, it's a move in the right direction) added to the menu.

Does anybody have any idea if this will be implemented immediately (like, in time for our sailing on the 18th)?

Would have preferred to see Latitude 48 but any Sam Adams beer is a welcome change from seeing Bud and Bud Light everywhere.

I couldn't agree more. I just wish they'd add Cigar City's Jai Alai and be done with it, but we'll take what we can get!

Would have preferred to see Latitude 48 but any Sam Adams beer is a welcome change from seeing Bud and Bud Light everywhere.

Or Noble Pils :)

It is a step in the right direction though.

This InBev & MillerCoors stranglehold on North America is starting to develop cracks and I for one am very glad.

Multi-Million dollar ad campaigns do not make good beer. It is time Americans to kick the American adjunct light lagers to the curb and start enjoying the beers that their ancestors drank. Time for choice and down with the duopoly that is the American beer market.

:)

Edited by NightOne

Or Noble Pils :)

It is a step in the right direction though.

This InBev & MillerCoors stranglehold on North America is starting to develop cracks and I for one am very glad.

Multi-Million dollar ad campaigns do not make good beer. It is time Americans to kick the American adjunct light lagers to the curb and start enjoying the beers that are ancestors drank. Time for choice and down with the duopoly that is the American beer market.

:)

I'll drink to that :D

I'm still gonna try to sneak some homebrew on my next cruise. Unlabeled in a big bottle might pass for wine, no?

Nope! They'll smell this out in a nanosec. Especially out of Miami.

Don't forget folks, the also have Sierra Nevada Pale to go along with the Sams and Cigar City's Invasion. While not up to a full blown craft beer bar, its probably better selection than you'll get in 90% of the chain restaurants.

I for one was not impressed with Rebel IPA...I do adore the Sam Adams Double Agent And the Latitude 48. I get weary that all that's offered is Bud etc. I wish they'd figure out how craft brews have far surpassed domestic brew! Come on Carnival make some $$$$ here!

I for one was not impressed with Rebel IPA...I do adore the Sam Adams Double Agent And the Latitude 48. I get weary that all that's offered is Bud etc. I wish they'd figure out how craft brews have far surpassed domestic brew! Come on Carnival make some $$$$ here!

See my post and AnnaNimitee's and others posts above on other offerings. But it's not Carnival driving the brewski selection, it's the breweries and their marketing which creates a demand for their products. Not everyone likes craft beer, just like not everyone likes Big Beer. And, frankly, there's lots of different craft beers that just don't go with cruising in warm climates. Note that even in the islands and in Mexico craft breweries aren't quite into the overly-hoppy bitter tasting stuff coming out of many of the craft breweries in the US. That's because their clientele won't drink the heavier stuff in warm weather. Amber ales in the islands and the porters and stouts in Central American countries like Honduras and Belize with their German influence are lighter than American amber ales or Irish dry stouts.

So celebrate the fact that you can find some craft beer on board, and then appreciate the fact that at home you have a wider selection and pity the poor saps swilling Big Beer on board, because it's the same junk they have at home and they aren't experiencing the full measure/pleasure of what the world of beer has to offer.

Edited by crewsweeper

I gave Rebel IPA a 3.5 out 5 on Untappd. Sure ... I would rather have Stone Ruination (or RuinTen) but Rebel IPA is a solid West Coast IPA and I am glad they are adding it.

Beats the heck out of another Bud Black Platinum Ultra Shelf Hogger beer. :)

Not everyone likes craft beer ...

Yeah, only everyone that has tried it likes it over Bud, Miller, Coors. LOL

You take a Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light and pour them in a cup for a blind taste test and 90% of the people who normally drink that stuff cannot pick their usual brand. ;)

although alot of craft beer drinkers frown upon the big beer "crafty" brands, I'll even take that over the yellow flagship brands they sell. Baby steps.

Personally I think the crafty ones are worse when it comes to integrity. At least the mainstream yellow fizzy ones are not trying to fool you into thinking they are someone else like Blue Moon, Shock Top, Batch 19, etc. do. ;)

I'll second wishing we have Cigar City Jai Alai available at some point. Rebel is decent, but better IPA's are out there. I'm sure they have to go with a brand that can produce enough to make sure they have ample supply.

Very happy to see that IPA's are starting to become a more mainstream beer choice in general.

I have not had one yet but I have heard about this beer more times in the last 3-4 months than any other one. :)

It's a really good, solid, consistent IPA, and certainly the most commonly found around Central Florida (of the Cigar City beers). I was very surprised that the Invasion Pale Ale and the Florida Cracker ended up being the ones Carnival chose to carry. Jai Alai and Maduro (their brown ale) are much more present on store shelves and on tap around here.

Don't get me wrong, I was VERY happy that they chose to carry any of the CCB brands (really nice people that brew really good beer). Just surprised at the ones they decided on.

Eh. I personally think Rebel IPA is awful and might have rated it a 1.5 out of 5. It's buttery and the hops taste old no matter how "fresh" the beer is. I would rather stick to Sierra Nevada than drink that crap.

As for the inbev, miller/coors haters i agree with you somewhat but all these guys have to go through them at some point. Now it's not amazingly great but i could see Goose Islands IPA(owned by Inbev) on the ship longterm over most other IPA's even though i think should try to get a few craft offerings from maybe somewhere in the region that produces a lot like maybe for the Southern Atlantic ports have Sweetwater IPA, Blue, and maybe 420 or grab some Terrapin big hoppy beers. Maybe when New Belgium gets going here in Asheville along with Sierra Nevada here we could support the region a lot easier and get that on there.

Either way my wine is never wine but rather a nice sour or Gueze that looks like a bottle of wine.

Too bad it's one big beer contract for all of Carnival. It'd be nice if they took on local stuff from around their ports of embarkation...can you imagine Carnival Pride (when she goes back to Baltimore) having Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, or Brewer's Art Resurrection Ale? Or ships cruising from San Diego having Stone IPA or Ballast Point Sculpin? :) One can only dream.

As for the inbev, miller/coors haters i agree with you somewhat but all these guys have to go through them at some point.

Which is what the 3 Tier system is supposed to prevent.

Unfortunately that means that each metropolitan area winds up with mostly 2 distributors. One is totally exclusive to InBev and the other is exclusive to MillerCoors. Therefore, there is exactly ZERO competition in the market between each of the brands. It also means that the big guys can muscle these distributors to pretty much do they want including violating all the laws for tap handles, etc.

On the other hand, the craft guys needs these 2 distributors to put their product on the tiny bit of shelf space that is left over.

Sad situation. :(

Too bad it's one big beer contract for all of Carnival. It'd be nice if they took on local stuff from around their ports of embarkation...can you imagine Carnival Pride (when she goes back to Baltimore) having Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, or Brewer's Art Resurrection Ale? Or ships cruising from San Diego having Stone IPA or Ballast Point Sculpin? :) One can only dream.

The thing is Carnival can get these beers through the "big 3" if they choose to. They are all(except Brewers Art i think) distributed by Bud, Miller, or Coors.

BTW Sculpin is easily the best "shelf" ipa in the world.