Soft Drinks - Change in "Pouring"?

gw2fll

Just completed a two week B2B on Navigator and noticed a change in how the soft drinks are served that was disappointing. I do not know if this is limited to just Navigator or if it is a change in process.

When ordering soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke, etc.) from the bars (Windjammer, MDR, Pool Bar, etc.) some of the bartenders would serve from 2 liter bottles instead of using the "beverage" gun to serve the beverage. At first I thought they were having trouble with the "guns" (they could be); however, over the course of the cruises I noticed it depended upon the bartender whether your selection was poured from a 2 liter bottle or prepared using the beverage "gun".

My complaint / problem is the 2 liter bottles can quickly go "flat" resulting in a horrible tasting soda. I finally had enough one evening during the second week in the MDR and had the soda served from a can. I kept returning the soda - about 3 to 4 times before they finally brought me a can and glass of ice at which point we had success and things tasted right. (From that point forward, the head waiter instructed the team to only use a can, which worked and avoided the issue.)

Has anyone else experienced this on other ships - is this the direction RCCL is going? I hope not.

Thanks for your input and feedback. Perhaps this was just an isolated incident and not a new process.

Just completed a two week B2B on Navigator and noticed a change in how the soft drinks are served that was disappointing. I do not know if this is limited to just Navigator or if it is a change in process.

When ordering soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke, etc.) from the bars (Windjammer, MDR, Pool Bar, etc.) some of the bartenders would serve from 2 liter bottles instead of using the "beverage" gun to serve the beverage. At first I thought they were having trouble with the "guns" (they could be); however, over the course of the cruises I noticed it depended upon the bartender whether your selection was poured from a 2 liter bottle or prepared using the beverage "gun".

My complaint / problem is the 2 liter bottles can quickly go "flat" resulting in a horrible tasting soda. I finally had enough one evening during the second week in the MDR and had the soda served from a can. I kept returning the soda - about 3 to 4 times before they finally brought me a can and glass of ice at which point we had success and things tasted right. (From that point forward, the head waiter instructed the team to only use a can, which worked and avoided the issue.)

Has anyone else experienced this on other ships - is this the direction RCCL is going? I hope not.

Thanks for your input and feedback. Perhaps this was just an isolated incident and not a new process.

I've seen this a number of times on several cruises and I agree - the bottles go flat and the soda is not nice.

On most of the occasions I have noticed the gun is working and I agree, its like they just choose to give you the bottle soda instead.

They need coke freestyle machines on every ship.

(which before someone flames me, I know they won't because of cost and getting re-fill stock outside of the US area ! - one can dream though !!!! )

:):):)

Edited by delirious9876

My last two cruises had the free style machine on board. Now next cruise they wont have one and I wont be on the ship half as much since its mainly a port focused cruise and not the ship. almost makes me think i will not get the soda package this time. without the free style its not really worth $7 a day X2...

There is nothing more that I hate then flat pop.

Edited by trev71

While I'm sure that what the OP described is true, in practice it doesn't make economic sense. The cost/serving out of a gun is a lot lower than out of a bottle, and a heck of a lot lower than handing out a can. The only logical explanations would be they either didn't get their shipment of syrup, were not stocked properly by the bar back, or had a plugged distribution line from the syrup canister.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and insight.

Quick follow-up on a couple of items, yes, we purchased the soda package for both cruises. Since our most recent cruise was on Celebrity, we had become accustomed to receiving a can, but quickly "adapted" to the RCCL approach although the 2 liter was a bit confusing.

I agree, the use of the 2 liter surprised me given the cost per unit when compared to a beverage gun. I can still see the stack of blue crates along the back wall of the Pool Bar with all the 2 liters in it. It just does not make sense, but there must be a reason...

Thanks again...

When I was on the Navigator last year, all the fountain systems on the entire ship where broken.

And from talking with the staff, it apparently had been down for a long time with no intention of repair in the near future.

Maybe it they fixed it during the dry dock, not sure.

But it was pretty "ghetto" to have warm 2 liter bottles everywhere...