Chinese visas

seaworthy1

I was all set to use MyChinaVisa but have found that genvisa has a better price...Will have to call them as I'm not quite sure about how I fill out the specific question about dates....I'm arriving on a cruise ship and will spend 4 post cruise nights in Shanghai...so do I only need to give the cruise itinerary or the hotel info too ?

Also any reason why I would have to use a company in Los Angeles (mychinsvisa) is but Genvisa is back east ::confused:

I heard back from GenVisa. They will file the paperwork in the correct embassy for you through their agents in each city.

You need to put down a line for each day you are in China. While on the cruise ship, put down "onboard a cruise ship". I included the cruise ship name too.

I heard back from GenVisa. They will file the paperwork in the correct embassy for you through their agents in each city.

You need to put down a line for each day you are in China. While on the cruise ship, put down "onboard a cruise ship". I included the cruise ship name too.

I spoke with GenVisa today...and was told they were in Washington DC...at least the person that I spoke to was very rude..when I asked about a local office for me..and a few questions.:eek:

I then called my local Los Angeles office of MyChinaVisa and they couldn't have been nicer and more helpful and easily answered all my questions...even when I had to call them back a second time to clarify something.

I'll pay the difference in price as I appreciate good customer service.

Best of luck to you.

I spoke with GenVisa today...and was told they were in Washington DC...at least the person that I spoke to was very rude..when I asked about a local office for me..and a few questions.:eek:

I then called my local Los Angeles office of MyChinaVisa and they couldn't have been nicer and more helpful and easily answered all my questions...even when I had to call them back a second time to clarify something.

I'll pay the difference in price as I appreciate good customer service.

Best of luck to you.

Wow, that is surprising, since they have been so helpful and prompt answering emails. Best of luck to you also and have a great time in China. I can't wait to experience it.

Wow, that is surprising, since they have been so helpful and prompt answering emails. Best of luck to you also and have a great time in China. I can't wait to experience it.

Sometimes a different experience with emails vs a personal phone call.

Am just glad my visa process is underway.

Much simplier for our last land only trip (2013) when the tour operator handled everything in obtaining our visa's.

Have a wonderful time...China is amazing !!

We are using Allied Visa and Passport. Steve is very nice. They are a small company in Washington, DC. He takes you through the whole process and it's painless. He even offers a discount for Cruise Critic people.

This is the first time I have needed a visa and I was a bit worried about sending my passport to just anyone.

Here is a link to get more info on the Chinese Visa from Allied.

http://alliedpassport.com/visas/china.php

Hope this helps!

Sorry everyone, but I was called out on another forum re: visas, and they aren't being very nice. They keep saying I'm not giving them all the information...how a "lazy question will get a lazy answer". I don't know what I'm NOT telling them.

So...once and for all, we *do* need a visa if we are flying into PVG in March and boarding MOS in Baoshan the next morning, right? We are returning to Baoshan and then going straight to the airport.

We are using Allied Visa and Passport. Steve is very nice. They are a small company in Washington, DC. He takes you through the whole process and it's painless. He even offers a discount for Cruise Critic people.

This is the first time I have needed a visa and I was a bit worried about sending my passport to just anyone.

Here is a link to get more info on the Chinese Visa from Allied.

http://alliedpassport.com/visas/china.php

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for this info. I've checked it out and will pursue. Way cheaper than what RCI's affiliate is offering, and also cheaper than genvisa.

It just took 5 business days to get my China visa for my March cruise..and even though I didn't request it..they automatically gave me the new 10 year visa...Guess they want me to come back :D

I noticed your username. DH was born in Ashland! I can see you both got as far away as you could haha.

So...once and for all, we *do* need a visa if we are flying into PVG in March and boarding MOS in Baoshan the next morning, right? We are returning to Baoshan and then going straight to the airport.

Yes you will need a Chinese mulitple entry visa since you are 1) spending the night, 2) leaving by ship the next day, 3) visiting other countries on MOS, and 4) returning again to China.

The "72-hr visa free", if I read it right, applies to in-transit air travelers only at certain Chinese airports. I believe early on it was used by cruise passengers to catch their flights, but since then the Chinese gov't has clarified it to mean air passengers only (for now).

If you are issued a 10-year visa so much the better.

Edited by Philob

Yes you will need a Chinese mulitple entry visa since you are 1) spending the night, 2) leaving by ship the next day, 3) visiting other countries on MOS, and 4) returning again to China.

The "72-hr visa free", if I read it right, applies to in-transit air travelers only at certain Chinese airports. I believe early on it was used by cruise passengers to catch their flights, but since then the Chinese gov't has clarified it to mean air passengers only (for now).

If you are issued a 10-year visa so much the better.

Thanks! This was what I thought, but kept getting conflicting info. Going to give Allied a whirl. Sounds like the best deal out of the half dozen or so agencies I've researched.

Thanks! This was what I thought, but kept getting conflicting info. Going to give Allied a whirl. Sounds like the best deal out of the half dozen or so agencies I've researched.

Steve at Allied just received my info for the visa and has already e-mailed me with a confirmation and an expected date to receive the visa. Couldn't ask for anything more!