Photo Tour - Great Day in Grand Turk

marysb

Thank you! I will look for it when we are there. One other question, well actually two. Can you bring a cleaned out conch home with you and are there any shacks that have scuba not thru the ship or are they all thru the ship? Hubby was hoping not to have to go with a large group of people scuba diving. TIA:D

kamac56, If your husband wants to book scuba diving outside of the ship, as he will have a better chance of being in a smaller group that way, there are two independent dive operators on Grand Turk: Blue Water Divers (www.grandturkscuba.com) and Grand Turk Divers (www.gtdiving.com). You can also view additional information about Grand Turk activities on TripAdvisor here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147396-Activities-Grand_Turk_Turks_and_Caicos.html

kamac56, If your husband wants to book scuba diving outside of the ship, as he will have a better chance of being in a smaller group that way, there are two independent dive operators on Grand Turk: Blue Water Divers (www.grandturkscuba.com) and Grand Turk Divers (www.gtdiving.com). You can also view additional information about Grand Turk activities on TripAdvisor here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147396-Activities-Grand_Turk_Turks_and_Caicos.html

thank you!

Thank you! I will look for it when we are there. One other question, well actually two. Can you bring a cleaned out conch home with you and are there any shacks that have scuba not thru the ship or are they all thru the ship? Hubby was hoping not to have to go with a large group of people scuba diving. TIA:D

I think there is no problem with a conch shell. We brought one home a few years ago. But, they tend to smell a bit. We kept ours in the shower in our stateroom and gave it a good soaking in soapy water.

I think there is no problem with a conch shell. We brought one home a few years ago. But, they tend to smell a bit. We kept ours in the shower in our stateroom and gave it a good soaking in soapy water.

I depends upon where the conch shell is obtained. It is actually illegal to remove anything from the National Park on Grand Turk, which extends the full West side of the island. This includes any 'calcareous substance'. The shells of all Caribbean islands are essential to sustaining the beautiful beaches that keep tourists coming back and support the livelihoods of people on the island. If every cruise ship passenger (nearly 1 million per year visit Grand Turk) takes shells, it can have serious consequences for the future. Please think carefully about taking shells, and ensure it is something that will be valued, not just cast aside once back home, as in that case it would be much more valuable remaining in the natural environment. And if you must take a shell, please ensure it is not coming out of the National Park or any marine protected areas (including Gibbs Cay). Thank you for helping keep the Turks and Caicos Islands "Beautiful by Nature"!

I depends upon where the conch shell is obtained. It is actually illegal to remove anything from the National Park on Grand Turk, which extends the full West side of the island. This includes any 'calcareous substance'. The shells of all Caribbean islands are essential to sustaining the beautiful beaches that keep tourists coming back and support the livelihoods of people on the island. If every cruise ship passenger (nearly 1 million per year visit Grand Turk) takes shells, it can have serious consequences for the future. Please think carefully about taking shells, and ensure it is something that will be valued, not just cast aside once back home, as in that case it would be much more valuable remaining in the natural environment. And if you must take a shell, please ensure it is not coming out of the National Park or any marine protected areas (including Gibbs Cay). Thank you for helping keep the Turks and Caicos Islands "Beautiful by Nature"!

Yes, thanks, that is great advice! I was thinking that she would be buying the shell from a local vendor. .... at least I hope that is what she meant.

Mary

Yes, thanks, that is great advice! I was thinking that she would be buying the shell from a local vendor. .... at least I hope that is what she meant.

Mary

LOL yup that is what I meant, one that's already cleaned and for sale at a stand etc.

Thank you for posting all your beautiful pictures. We are heading to GT in a few weeks and it's our first time there. It's really helpful to get a good visual of the island and it's layout, in addition to reading how you spent your day. Thanks!

Wife and I were there in 2009 and again in 2014. In 2009 without our daughter we rented a golf cart and toured the island. Keep in mind the pics are from 09 but here is the other end of the island and some randoms from driving around.

33xk8xk.jpg

1r1xxc.jpg

viijw4.jpg

So after visiting the Light house, etc I was driving and saw a narrow path off to the side. Wife and friends that were with us were not happy but I went down it. Kinda steep but the cart made it back up it but at the bottom we parked and were the only ones on this beach. You can see it's not groomed :) We hung out for a bit and got pics then left. I'm slightly adventurous

vq2qer.jpg

r8i6tc.jpg

This is an awesome thread and thanks for the pictures. We have never been here before (but have seen it on t.v. a few times and always wanted to go here). We are thinking about booking a cruise that includes this port and trying to gather information.

So is the beach right there where the ship docks free?

We absolutely loved our day in Grand Turk on our last cruise. A beautiful spot - gorgeous turquoise clear water, talcum powder soft white sand, and an island unspoiled by big resorts. I thought I would show some photos of our wonderful day there.

We were on the Royal Princess the first week of Dec 2014. We were scheduled to for Grand Turk on Dec. 7, but the ship did a first and docked overnight at Grand Turk. We docked about 7-8pm on the 6th and stayed overnight. Apparently this was done so that the deck party that was scheduled would be less windy. The crew loved being in port overnight and getting free internet at Margaritaville.

We did not get off the ship that evening but did hear from many that did go to Margaritaville and around the cruise centre for the evening.

This is how we spent our day:

- at the last minute we decided to take the little trolly tour for $25. What a value! ... we had a great guide, Charles who was very knowledgeable. We did the 8:30 am tour

- We were back at the cruise centre by 10am and did some shopping. Got some great silver and pearl jewellery for Christmas gifts (and we didn't have to go to Cozumel ;-)

- We went back on board to drop our purchases, have lunch in the lido, and change into bathing suits.

- We spent the entire afternoon at the beach by the pier and Margaritaville pool. Snorkeling was also good there. We were going to go to Governors Beach, but it was so lovely right at the pier, we didn't feel the need to search out a more private beach.

16050356241_f3b8d49f0b_c.jpg

16052340095_bc1a092e72_c.jpg

Looking to the right of the dock (to the end of the island and the excursion dock)

15432701613_a0e8b9c77d_c.jpg

15866294979_c54e32d271_c.jpg

Looking left of the Dock

15430054564_c24b92009b_c.jpg

15865061430_b6ea57ff74_c.jpg

Thank you for all the great photos and helpful information. I'll be visiting on Royal Princess the first week of February.

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed your write-up and pictures. Have a few questions.

Do you tender to Grand Turk?

The trolley tour you took for $25, how much time did you have on that trolley? Did it stop for you to take pictures, etc, or just kept moving along?

The beach that you mentioned, do you pay to be on it, or is it free? If so, what is the name of it, or is it the only beach close by?

Enjoyed your write-up and pictures. Have a few questions.

Do you tender to Grand Turk?

The trolley tour you took for $25, how much time did you have on that trolley? Did it stop for you to take pictures, etc, or just kept moving along?

The beach that you mentioned, do you pay to be on it, or is it free? If so, what is the name of it, or is it the only beach close by?

No tendering, there is a huge dock, and very easy to go back on the ship for lunch if you like. This is a very walkable area - to and from the ship, to the beach, to the pool and to shopping. It is all there within a 5 min walk.

I think the Trolley Tour was about 2 hours long. We drove into Cockburn Town (5 miles) with a short photo stop at the John Glenn Capsule. Once in town we had two stops for photos and a walk around (by the waterfront/library/jail area, and by the museum)

The beach in the photos is part of the Cruise Centre. It is all free - the beach access, the chairs, and the pool.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mary

Beach by the dock is very nice -very soft white sand, but there is coral in the water. I didn't use water shoes, but you might like them. The water stayse quite shallow until you get to the roped off section - not too far out. Then there is quite a drop and lots of fish as it is quite rocky there. We were told that there is good snorkeling all along the beach by the rope markers. I am sure an excursion would have better snorkeling, but this was fine for us.

There was snorkeling was right by the white rope markers/floaties in front of the ship

Here are some photos - not the best, but I will give you an idea of what was down there.

15864866218_338fb6e5c7_c.jpg

15430030894_5860f5362d_c.jpg

16079893392_6ce4a820a6_c.jpg

15866561557_9f5afd58b0_c.jpg

15432676273_55330f7fae_c.jpg

So this snorkeling area.... it looks like there's a lot of fish around the area, but I don't see any coral or rocks where fish normally hang out. Is this true?

Do you know if this snorkeling runs all the way down the beach or gets any better? (Like past the cruise port area). :confused:

So this snorkeling area.... it looks like there's a lot of fish around the area, but I don't see any coral or rocks where fish normally hang out. Is this true?

Do you know if this snorkeling runs all the way down the beach or gets any better? (Like past the cruise port area). :confused:

The beach area has shallow water with quite a bit of coral, but right at the rope lines, there is a rock/cliff drop-off. That is where most of the fish are. My photos are taken against the white sand background in the shallow water as that is what turned out the best. But yes, there are rocks and coral. I still think the best snorkeling would be on an excursion, but we had some OK snorkeling right at the beach ....and the price was right;)

The beach area has shallow water with quite a bit of coral, but right at the rope lines, there is a rock/cliff drop-off. That is where most of the fish are. My photos are taken against the white sand background in the shallow water as that is what turned out the best. But yes, there are rocks and coral. I still think the best snorkeling would be on an excursion, but we had some OK snorkeling right at the beach ....and the price was right;)

Awesome. Thanks so much for the info of the snorkeling area. I will be quite happy with that. I like the expense of this excursion myself. ;) This is going to be an expensive trip, so trying to save money and stay around the port areas for most days within having to spend money and this sounds perfect.

At this cliff drop-off area, how deep would you say it is right before the dorp off?

Thanks so much for your time.

Wonderful pictures. A question or two.

You mentioned taking the trolley (booked through the ship) for $25. Would we be able to get this trolley, once we got off the ship without booking it? Also, is the trolley the same thing as Island Tram Tours that I have read about, or are they two different types of transportation?

Wonderful pictures. A question or two.

You mentioned taking the trolley (booked through the ship) for $25. Would we be able to get this trolley, once we got off the ship without booking it? Also, is the trolley the same thing as Island Tram Tours that I have read about, or are they two different types of transportation?

The trolley and the Island Tram are separate tours. The trolley just goes into Cockburn Town, not to the lighthouse, but I really didn't feel that was a big deal. History, views and stops were very good for this tour. I am not certain if it can be booked at the cruise centre or not, but it appealed to use because we could pick a time for the tour( every 2 hours I believe). This made it easy to plan the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at your beautiful pictures, and had a few more questions.

The pastel gift shops you had a picture of, do they do any bargaining there, or are their prices, set prices? I love the pastel colors.:)

Did the trolley tour take you to the Natuaral Arboretum, or did you find it another way?

Did the trolley tour take you to the Salina area where salt is made?