QE Cruise to nowhere

Ray66

While your suite room might have received this broadcast our balcony stateroom did not, and we were awake from 8.15am. Again might I ask where the new entertainment programme was announced? Was this at the 8.30am broadcast?

At 8:30 it was announced that a revised daily programme would be available soon. I doubt very much that the public announce system was only used to inform the Grill passengers.

I'm sorry to have hacked you off on Christmas Day, but again how were we meant to know this? As far as we could tell they were just going to be doing a repeat of the Saturday night. I do appreciate that they do repeat shows a lot, but on a four night cruise this isn't really acceptable. Surely the cunard singers and dancers could have done one of there other shows?

Well, maybe you missed the bit where they talked about the second, and that they'd changed their first set because of the second. It wasn't really a repeat show, it was the same band doing a different show. The impression they gave was they were always going to do two shows (before the cancellation).

I think the point is you were incorrect though. Maybe this could have been made clearer, perhaps. Communications do break down. I missed Bell's politics lecture because it moved. But the actual claim made is based on your error, rather than reality.

Maybe the singers and dancers could have done a different show. The other bands/singers/musicians and Ents staff did step up to try to fill gaps, I thought, but the onboard team were noticeably absent from that.

All these maybe's though don't really support the absurd litany of complaints and nonsense about mutiny that some are posting. Most, not all people were sad to miss Amsterdam.

Probably the $75 pp is about right in terms of actual loss incurred.

Not in room though!

You may both be correct. There were two levels, one broadcast through the TV and one presumably on speakers somewhere. Right at the front, we could not hear non emergency announcements without putting the TV on channel 40 or whatever it was. You could hear it as a sort of distant mumbling.

The problem was that they went right up to the entrance before finally bailing on Amsterdam, this was about 3-4 AM. So the previous nights newsletter was the one with virtually nothing on it. However, once you left the cabin to get breakfast or whatever, the place was littered with them.

One criticism I would make was that Leon's channel (22) should have been co-opted to explain the changes (and possibly the current state of play regards Rotterdam/Bruges/Le Havre etc.) rather than showing the loop.

Plans were to exchange the show team at Amsterdam. Obviously this was not possible.

This is part of the problem. It is rather like complaints I have read about the "Christmas Market" which was in the dance area on L2 ; yes, it was a bit perfunctory and the stuff was from the shops, but that's the best they could do. I presumed they were trying to recreate the relevant part of the shore leave to the best they could.

I don't know if they reprovision in Amsterdam, but I thought the food just went off, not hugely but noticeably. This may of course be the menus not fitting with my tastes too well.

I suspect staffing levels (e.g. bar wait times) were down slightly as they may have tried to give staff time off which they would have had in Amsterdam ; I can understand the rationale behind this. I didn't find it particularly bad though, though it was noticeable that if you ordered via a waiter it could be a bit slow.

I would freely admit knowing zero about running a cruise but it seems to me that they largely did they best they could. My queries would be whether this trip should even have been planned.

. My queries would be whether this trip should even have been planned.

The Christmas Market in Albert Square Manchester is as good as any on the continent I am told.

You can always get in to Manchester.

David.

I have seen the Beatles Experience on three different cruises.

They are often on Cunard world cruises. The do a show in the theatre and then a second show in the Queens room. Live music and every one up dancing. Usually a great night, full house of dancers and people having fun. The stage show is all Beatles songs done live on stage in the theatre. Don't miss them if they appear on your next cruise.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

That's as maybe but no-one on this thread is acting as a troll. Have you read CC guidelines about calling someone a troll?

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1932843

The article also appeared on the BBC and other websites

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30586835

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cabinfever-cruise-passengers-protest-on-ship-circling-channel-for-four-days-before-returning-9942374.html

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2014741

http://www.cruisehive.com/passengers-angry-cunard-cruise-ship-circles-english-channel-4-days/5375

Presumably one of the passengers phoned the media with the story.

----------

When I mentioned in an earlier post about a “near mutiny”, it was meant tongue in cheek, but the newspapers seem to have seriously used that term. It was difficult to ascertain the number of passengers around the pursers desk, the lobby, up the staircase and looking over who were complaining and who were just onlookers. After the captain mentioned about the £75 credit, some people actually laughed out loud. It was quite embarrassing.

We missed a port (Zeebrugge) due to windy conditions on another 4 day cruise a few years ago but at least we had visited two other ports.

We didn’t get a questionnaire at the end of the cruise but I think someone on here mentioned that on one of the other short Xmas cruises.

When I mentioned in an earlier post about a “near mutiny”, it was meant tongue in cheek, but the newspapers seem to have seriously used that term. It was difficult to ascertain the number of passengers around the pursers desk, the lobby, up the staircase and looking over who were complaining and who were just onlookers. After the captain mentioned about the £75 credit, some people actually laughed out loud. It was quite embarrassing.

I did actually wonder if that was where the mutiny thing came from. I noted a definite air of humour in that comment. My view that reception was pretty packed but it wasn't really aggressive. I was certainly an onlooker, I'd come to ask about something else originally.

Objectively, the £75 is about right. Compensation is really supposed to cover actual loss, not some sort of thing like "hurt feelings".

I paid about £400pp for this cruise, e.g. £100 a day (you could make a case that those who were in the higher spec cabins etc. could get more, though perhaps not as their losses were the same)

The only real loss was the Amsterdam dock ; however you could also argue some of that loss was mitigated by the extra entertainment and so on that was put on on Day 3.

There is a lot of fuss and exaggeration coming from some quarters ; I think this is a small group trying to create a compo meme to get all their money back.

The Honeymooners who claim it was 'ruined' because they couldn't visit Amsterdam ; that says more about their attitude to life than the cruise really. About 3/4 of the cruise was identical to what it would have been anyway.

Maybe I speak to different people, but virtually everyone I spoke to was disappointed but not cross/angry/mutinous. Actually the crossest person wasn't annoyed about Amsterdam but about the standard of the cruise itself (I cannot compare it with any other Cunard cruise).

People should look at what they get for what they paid. I see this quite a lot in Cruise Reviews ; people paying £100/nt for Bed, umpteen meals, and entertainment, and travel.

How rude

Not everyone goes to The Red light district .

I would respectfully suggest you lighten up John.

Meanwhile it would appear a bit rich coming from someone with your record.

From what I have both experienced and heard from others you are capable of giving 'masterclasses' in the art of a 'No Show'.

Of course this whole incident has now blown over.

The moaners have had their bleat and the odd few with a gripe against Cunard have stirred the pot on various forums.

Two thousand plus happy cruisers are at sea and enjoying their cruise on board Queen Elizabeth for her Iberian and Canary Island celebration and another two thousand plus will at this moment be looking forward to following them on 6 January.

Life goes on in the cruising world. Wouldn't life be dull if we were all the same?

Ho, ho, ho.

Just a suggestion from a woman who has been married for over 30 years to the same man...it's never a good idea to project one's personal judgment about the fate of another person's love life - be it marriage, partnership or a single life. Especially when it comes to something so inconsequential as a 4 night cruise.:)

Well hello Salacia.

30 years sounds pretty good to me, especially in this day and age.

My best wishes to you and Neptune on this fair Boxing Day.

I would respectfully suggest you lighten up John.

Meanwhile it would appear a bit rich coming from someone with your record.

From what I have both experienced and heard from others you are capable of giving 'masterclasses' in the art of a 'No Show'.

Good afternoon Dickie,

Trust you had an enjoyable Christmas especially as The Blues beat The Hammers.

I would just like to clarify the point that you made,

On M328/M329 If my memory is correct you only travelled on M329,

We made no fixed appointment to meet with you in The Golden Lion, I decided that I did not wish to play a "Trumping game " so decided not to meet with you.

I could of always have woken you from your slumbers in G32 !

As regards the other time which was Q302, which you were not on board, but you referring too others, I suspect can only be member Maggiemou who was annoyed with me as I did not meet for a Forum meeting in The Commodore Club, again I decided not to meet up, as again it all appeared too regimental and that is not my scene! I believe I also may have annoyed her with my comment on some discussion about "How many photos of ones self do you need".

That is my record old boy.

Would love to hear yours about getting banned from a cruise forum and this, which is on Google .

http://thefriendsofcruisingmates.wordpress.com/category/solent-richard/

Bit ironic really as With that cruise forum, I may wear the rose tinted glasses

Now what is that proverb, Person in Glass Houses........

Heres looking forward to the New Year

(by the way I have nothing to do with any website/Blog etc, just found the links on the web!)

Edited by Pennbank

We have parents on board and they're absolutely livid as they have never been to Amsterdam before and were really looking forward to it. They love cruising with Cunard but not so much that they didn't want to go anywhere. If they'd have wanted ship time alone, they'd have done a transatlantic.

I am sure your parents must be disappointed but Cunard cannot be held responsible for very bad weather but at least they are on a beautiful ship.

i don't think anything could persuade me to book a cruise off the coast of Britain in the middle of winter if i was so desperate to visit Amsterdam. It's an awful time of year to cruise in the North Sea or the Channel.

Unfortunately, no cruise line can ever guarantee a port, as weather happens.

If they were so desperate to see Amsterdam they could have flown there and stayed there. No use being livid. It was not Cunard's fault surely?

Safety of the ship and its passengers is paramount, and by the sound of it Cunard made the right decision.

Edited by ellie1145

What's the REAL issue? I 100% agree safety is a priority, but after tens of posts I still don't know if the passegers were kept well informed or not. S**t happens, but in that case it was Cunard obligation to handle it the best way possible.

Btw, a looooooooonnnnng time ago I took a cruise and we were supposed to set foot in Antartida! Due to weather conditions the Captain aborted and the passengers reaction was very close to a mutiny. I was young (I told you it was a loooooooooonnnnnng time ago ;)) and Antartida is not Amsterdam. Most probably I'll never be able to experience it, there are no fast trains to go there :eek:

"Tell me, if you tried to do a "Christmas Fair" replacement on board, what would you have done ? Or do you think they shouldn't have bothered trying to do a Christmas Fair "

May be they should have replaced the Red Light Disctrict? ;) I wish all of you a wonderful 2015!!!!!

Edited by paulista1950

What's the REAL issue? I 100% agree safety is a priority, but after tens of posts I still don't know if the passegers were kept well informed or not. S**t happens, but in that case it was Cunard obligation to handle it the best way possible.

Btw, a looooooooonnnnng time ago I took a cruise and we were supposed to set foot in Antartida! Due to weather conditions the Captain aborted and the passengers reaction was very close to a mutiny. I was young (I told you it was a loooooooooonnnnnng time ago ;)) and Antartida is not Amsterdam. Most probably I'll never be able to experience it, there are no fast trains to go there :eek:

"Tell me, if you tried to do a "Christmas Fair" replacement on board, what would you have done ? Or do you think they shouldn't have bothered trying to do a Christmas Fair "

May be they should have replaced the Red Light Disctrict? ;) I wish all of you a wonderful 2015!!!!!

Well said Paulie The last bit made me smile. Well you have to laugh really. Carry on Cunard cruising. Happy New Year . Maggiemou

I have to agree with you Pennbank, this is a very rude and offensive remark.:(

Only for the US. Most tourist visit this area. Not everyone will tell this at home...

We in Europa have no problem with the oldest business of the world.