Crew Menus

zaos

I often wonder just how inadequate the crew food must be that they find eating off the ship so great.

The comments I have heard from staff is that it is the same food, day after day and they get tired of it. So imagine eating at the same restaurant day after day for 9 months.

Hi All

Wonder how many here have been to the crew or officers mess,

Crew are not keen on passengers or officers hanging about the crew mess,

Food is very what the majority want so rice with everything if not into rice you will have problem,

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi All

Crew are not keen on passengers or officers hanging about the crew mess,

Food is very what the majority want so rice with everything if not into rice you will have problem,

Why would the crew not like a passenger there if they were properly invited?

I don't think they really care, they eat and they go. They are not worried about who comes and goes. Its hard to tell whether the person is a passenger/contractor/corporate etc. Its a busy busy place.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The comments I have heard from staff is that it is the same food, day after day and they get tired of it. So imagine eating at the same restaurant day after day for 9 months.

Yes, I have to eat here at Chez Kitchen day after day for months on end and I get tired of it so that's why I cruise! ;) My guess is that the crew does not find the food horrible so much as they like a change from time to time just like the rest of us.

Yes, is true also...

I use to go to the crew mess because they have a soft serve ice cream machine and even as an officer couldn't have soft serve at the pax ice cream place (one of those 3 stripes and above thing I think it was or standing order) but was told (not by crew) but by my boss to stay out, was weird but I've come to the conclusion they didn't want me to see some of the crap they gave crew...

I was pretty outspoken to people about doing more for crew... many of the crew had asked my to apply for P&T manager (human resource) I laughed because the company would never want someone, that cares about crew morale and welfare, like me in that position, lol

I have been to officer mess on Grand and Carribbean.

On Grand -- it was a few years ago -- walked in, and were overwhelmed

by smoke.

On Carribbean, there was a steam-table that was not in use, and

we had table service.

Yes, I have to eat here at Chez Kitchen day after day for months on end and I get tired of it so that's why I cruise! ;) My guess is that the crew does not find the food horrible so much as they like a change from time to time just like the rest of us.

I certainly wouldn't want to eat the ship food - MDR, HC, Crew Mess, whatever, every day over and over for months at a stretch. I know some people cruise incessantly but I'd get tired of the same thing. At some point I just want something simple or a good Mexican dinner or Chinese food, or Thai food, or a decent pizza. I enjoy eating in MDR when I cruise but I want more variety than I could get eating on the ship over and over and over and over and over...

No wonder the crew jumps at the chance for something different. They may well just be craving something with some SPICES in it. Princess doesn't seem to know about spicy food...

On the last cruise, our TA who was onboard with us arranged a special tour of the galley. We were told that the crew ate the same thing the pax ate. I did not buy the whole enchilada. The officers who eat in a separate mess (dining room to landlubbers) do eat most of what the pax eat and are served by waiters in a very nicely appointed room. Officers are allowed to use the HC when not busy and to mingle with the pax depending on rank and venue. The rank and file however eat at a buffet in a different mess and I seriously doubt they get as nice a menu as the pax. I imagine their menu is for a fixed time span before repeating itself. So if the cruise is one week, the menu will repeat every week for both pax and crew. If you are on the ship for say 6 months, every week will be the same for everyone and would become quite boring in short order.

I certainly wouldn't want to eat the ship food - MDR, HC, Crew Mess, whatever, every day over and over for months at a stretch. I know some people cruise incessantly but I'd get tired of the same thing. At some point I just want something simple or a good Mexican dinner or Chinese food, or Thai food, or a decent pizza. I enjoy eating in MDR when I cruise but I want more variety than I could get eating on the ship over and over and over and over and over...

No wonder the crew jumps at the chance for something different. They may well just be craving something with some SPICES in it. Princess doesn't seem to know about spicy food...

HAL used to have an Indonesian dish almost every day in the MDR and/or Lido buffet. Not sure whether the heavily Indonesian crew simply liked to cook it, or if they got to eat some of it also. I'm guessing both. I didn't notice as much of it on my last HAL cruise, however.