John and Diane's LAST Round the World Adventure

Johnny B

Ponta Delgada is a beautiful place - we stopped there last fall on our trans-Atlantic and were so pleased that we did. If you are taking a tour up into the mountains, be sure to bring a bunny hug or a jacket, as it can get quite chilly, especially if there is rain.

Although you won't be able to make both ports in the Azores, the Captain is keen on keeping everyone safe, and you can't fault him for that.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - Day 107

Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal

Good evening from Ponta Delgada, the capital of the nine major Azore islands and the last port of our world cruise. We’re docked right downtown, so it’s a hop, skip and a jump to the main square and all the highlights of the town. Also in port with us today was the Regal Princess, a huge vessel which was docked across from us, but on a more distant pier so that the passengers needed a shuttle to get into town. We learned this evening that the Princess ship had sailed from Ft. Lauderdale with an itinerary including Halifax and Ireland, but it was just too rough to sail up the East Coast, so they diverted to Ponta Delgada. That’s a heck of a diversion. Actually, even though we’re in the harbor, our ship is still rocking a bit because the seas are so rough.

The weather last night really let us know that we were on a ship; we rocked and rolled and shuddered all night long. It woke me up fairly early this morning, and then when we entered the harbor the ship was instantly calm. The Princess ship sailed at about 6:30 this evening, and as we watched it go out of the harbor, we could see it bouncing and rolling with the weather. Our friend Aart (Dutch spelling) told us that the storm should continue until about 24 hours after we sail tomorrow evening, but then it will be a bit calmer. We’d really like to get in at least one warm day before we dock in Florida but have no idea if we’ll be able to do that or not.

Today’s explorations of the city were great. We walked and walked and walked, seeing the main church, a street named Sao Joao (St. John), and a large fort on the edge of town. The most interesting part of the fort for me was the World War II tunnels, which were built to defend against any enemy which came by sea. The underground area of the tunnels was full of exhibits of every kind of military equipment, from pistols to uniforms to medical supplies to musical instruments. There was a small separate museum which contained photos and information about the war for independence of Portugal’s African colonies, beginning in the 60’s (colonies: 1, Portugal: 0).

One of my favorite things about Portuguese towns (and even Rio de Janeiro) is the beauty of the sidewalks and even some streets. Every sidewalk is black with a white design in it, and it’s fun to look for the different designs. Some are interlocking circles, some look like the DNA model, and others have a series of big white circles. John has a great photo of one of them in his Facebook photos.

By then it was time for lunch, so we wandered the dock area until we found “The Yacht Club,” a bar/restaurant which featured some excellent seafood. I ordered a cod dish and John ordered grilled calimari, but as soon as they were delivered, we ended up switching. Both were really good, and we paired them with a bottle of Mateus, a Portuguese rose wine that we last drank in college. Even after all these years, it still tasted pretty good. The cellar master, Jacques, joined us for a while, and then it was time to head back to the ship for a bit of a nap.

For the first time on the cruise, we decided it was cold enough that a dip in the jacuzzi was in order, and it was just the thing to warm us right up. All in all it was a lovely day, and we’re looking forward to another one tomorrow.

Edited by Johnny B
add information

Thursday, April 23, 2015 - Day 108

Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare!

Ponta Delgada, Portugal

We’ve all been in traffic jams, but have you ever been in one with an entire herd of cattle? Dairy is the primary industry on this beautiful island of Sao Miguel, and as we drove around the island on our tour this morning, we could see, firsthand, why that is.

Yesterday we arranged for a van group tour of one side of the island, including the famous blue and green lakes, and when we arrived this morning to begin, it turned out that we were the only customers. So . . . for $30 each, we had a private driver, a private guide and a 12-seater van for our 3-1/2 hour tour.

As we left the city, we realized how very green this island is. We could have been in Ireland with the colorful hills and valleys. Olivia, our guide, told us that the Azores are subtropical, and that the weather is mixed almost every day. If it’s sunny, you’d better take advantage of it, because it might be raining in 30 minutes. Even though today is cold and windy, there’s plenty of both rain and sun because of the gulf stream, resulting in such crops as bananas, pineapples, tomatoes, and many others that you wouldn’t expect on a rocky outcropping in the Atlantic.

At the top of the island we looked down on twin lakes within a huge caldera, one green (because of an algae growth) and one blue (reflecting the sky). After enough time to take photos, we drove down into the volcanic valley for a brief stop in a really cute village. After expresso, hot chocolate, and a shared pastry we explored the local church and then continued on our tour. Just to show how inexpensive this place is, all three of the above totaled E2.60, or just under $3.00 US.

Two or three times during our tour we had to either wait for herds of cattle or ease our way around them. It seems that local drivers are pretty used to this activity, and we saw a few just gently push the cattle out of the way - with no injuries on either side.

We drove out to the road which skirts the ocean, seeing beautiful blue and then gray seas and incredible rock formations. Olivia told us legends about various parts of the island, and when we returned to Ponta Delgada, we knew a lot more about the Azores than we had at the beginning. We even learned that there’s a boat that takes passengers on a tour of all nine islands over about 10 days. In these seas, I think I’d take a pass!

This has been the last port on this wonderful 114-day adventure, and six sea days await us before Ft. Lauderdale. Talk of packing and trips home from Florida is heard everywhere, and we’re wondering when our luggage will be delivered. We have loved every moment of this adventure, but we’re really pretty ready to get home: to sleep in our own bed, eat less food (and hopefully lose some pounds), work in the yard, jog or walk in the morning, and just get back to everyday life. We don’t know what next year holds for us, but I guess time will tell.

Friday, April 24, 2015 - Day 109

At Sea en route to Ft. Lauderdale

When the captain said it would be “bumpy” last night, he was severely underestimating the ship’s action. First we had an announcement from Gene that last evening’s “Dancing With the Stars” final competition would be postponed; it wasn’t fair to dancers to be forced to perform on a stage which was continuing moving up and down and side to side. Then we were told that, although we had missed “the worst of it,” we’d have some turbulence.

Well, that wasn’t the half of it. Since we moved the clocks back an hour, we ended up going to bed at 9:00 instead of 10:00 and I slept soundly until about 2:00 AM, when I was almost tossed out of bed. The ship would first roll from one side to the other, then back, and then would rise up from the front and SLAP! down. Everything in our cabin that could move was moving; something hit the floor, but I didn’t want to get up and be the next thing hitting the floor. It kept up like that until almost 4:00, when it went back to just rolling back and forth and I was finally able to get back to sleep. During the captain’s noontime message today, he said that we last night we had 15-foot seas and 60 mph winds - quite a combination.

This morning the rolling continued and when walking past the midships pool, it was clear that “surf’s up.” The water was primarily in the pool but also sharing its moisture with the decks on either side. How some of the people with canes and walkers got past, I don’t know, but it took a great deal of patience.

This morning’s activity (after gym, breakfast, and showers) is registering our luggage for shipping back to good old San Luis Obispo. We’re currently #31, and the people being served currently are #16, so I think I’ll have time to catch up on my reading for tomorrow’s Book Club meeting. Although we have free unlimited shipping, we have to fill in a form and pick up shipping labels for our six bags - four that we brought originally and two more that were “pillow gifts” from HAL and that we’re using to hold the overflow. It’s really a nice perk for verandah cabins.

This afternoon is the Indonesian Crew Show, always a highlight of the cruise along with the Filipino Crew Show tomorrow. It’s one of those events where, if you don’t get there at least 15 minutes early, you don’t get a seat, because it’s standing room only. Everyone loves seeing people whom we usually see in uniform wear their national costumes while singing and dancing and showing their national pride. It always brings tears to many in the audience.

Then, later this evening, we’ll meet our friends Susan and Michael for dinner in Canaletto, the ship’s Italian restaurant. I remember when they first began serving there a couple of cruises ago that the food was just so-so but it was free. On the 2014 WC, they began charging $10.00 each and the food improved remarkably. It really does provide an excellent meal now, and since Lent has passed, I can have the amazing limoncello creme dessert which I could only salivate over last time we were there.

I’m sure the next five days will go quickly, and my only question now is, “when are they delivering the luggage?”

We would truly like to thank you for writing this blog on Hal board.

We look forward to your daily notes, thanks for taking us along.

We have enjoyed your side trips and have taken notes of some of the hotels.. Thanks, especially for the wonder pictures of Pagan, Myanmar. We loved seeing

the countryside, since we were there in 1986. They brought back so many

wonderful times. Again, safe travels, and we will be awaiting your next adventure. mb

We promised you at the beginning of the cruise (since unlike last year we would not be along) that we would follow you faithfully throughout the journey. We have done so while enjoying your adventures, praising your writing ability, and admiring your unusual ventures. Until the next time we cruise together, safe travels. Margaret & Keith

John and Diane

Many thanks for your very entertaining reports as you journeyed around the world. Your informative postings often made me feel that I was there with you.

Enjoy the final days of your cruise!

We really enjoyed seeing the blue and green lakes side by side as well when we were on our t/A last fall. Sorry to hear you were rocking and rolling throughout the night, although it was better to have weather like that when most people are safely tucked into their beds, than wandering around the ship, risking severe injuries.

The one thing you will notice from now on, is how much warmer it will be getting, the closer you are to the U.S.

Thanks again for taking us along with you, it is a pleasure reading of your travels and seeing the pics you post on FB as well. I wish you a safe journey home.

Gerry

John & Diane - thank you for sharing your experiences. The trip seems to have flown by and I love your style of writing. So glad you made it home for your granddaughter's birthday and had smooth travels through the entire journey.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - Day 110

At Sea - and boy are we!

Somehow, I was silly enough to think that once we got through the worst of the weather night before last that it would be nothing but smooth sailing as we headed toward Ft. Lauderdale, maybe even with a day or two of sunshine to top off the old tan. Boy, was I wrong. We may eventually get such a day, but it certainly isn’t today. The wind is gale force again, about 40 knots, and the seas are a few meters high. The rain began mid-morning and has continued all day. Fortunately, there are lots of activities going on in side the ship and lots of places just to tuck yourself away for some quiet reading, thinking, or even a brief nap.

This morning I realized that I had about 120 pages of my Book Club book, Of Marriageable Age, to complete before the meeting at 4:00 this afternoon, so I hid away up in the Crow’s Nest - see, it is good for something besides pre-dinner cocktails. I got half of that read and then, after lunch, settled into a deck chair next to the midships Lido pool to finish the rest. This is a remarkable book and I recommend it highly. I have a hard time putting it down.

Today was the Filipino Crew Show, and the Queen’s Lounge was, as always, standing room only. This year they had divided the Filipino crew into service areas: bar staff, front office, culinary, etc., and each area came up with a singing and/or dancing act. The show was vibrant and energetic and, while shorter than yesterday’s Indonesian show, was one of the best we’ve seen.

This evening six of us are sharing the bottle of Cristal Champagne and then enjoying dinner together. This last week is a very social one, with passengers wanting to spend an evening or even a lunch with new and/or old friends. Last evening, for example, we ate at Canaletto with Susan and Michael and, yes, the Limoncello Creme was just as good as I had hoped.

We still don’t have our luggage, which is fine with me because we still have one more formal night tomorrow (which is our Captain’s Dinner), and the first thing I always pack is my formal wear. It won’t get home for about a week, but really, how soon am I going to need an evening gown in San Luis Obispo?

We drove through SLO today on our way south from Cambria. It was raining so your yard should be refreshed to greet you. We have enjoyed reading your blog, your Facebook page and seeing Jeff's photos. Hope the seas calm down. I'm glad we went across from the Cape Verde islands last year in good weather. Thanks for writing!

Jill and Joe

Sunday, April 26, 2015 - Day 111

At Sea en route to Ft. Lauderdale

Here we are with only four days left of our extraordinary voyage, and we’re still in cloudy gray skies with occasional rain. Some passengers have had their bags delivered and are in the process of packing them, but we have seen neither hide nor hair of ours. That’s fine with me; tonight is the last formal night, and I’d really rather wait until after that’s finished before even seeing a piece of luggage. Our friends Cathy and Ann brought 14 (yes, 14!) bags and told us last evening that they’ve packed 11 of them and had their room stewards return them to wherever it is that they keep luggage. Actually, one day in port we noticed that there was an outside cabin on Deck 1 which had floor to ceiling luggage, so I guess that’s where they keep some of it. Upon telling Ann and Cathy, who have an inside room, they responded, “Why don’t they put the luggage in OUR room and give US the outside room. The luggage really wouldn’t mind!”

Tonight is our “Captain’s Dinner,” an opportunity that is given to every full world cruise passenger. I guess it was difficult to find a time to invite us, since we’ve been overland for a total of 20 days, some of which were for formal nights. We found out that we’re sitting with the above mentioned Ann and Cathy, so we’re sure to have a great time. Before dinner there is the Captain’s Farewell Reception in the Queen’s Lounge - basically Captain Jonathan telling us how much he’s enjoyed having us all on board and the waiters handing out free drinks.

Last evening was great fun. Bill and Jane and Rich and Ginny came to our cabin at 7:15, Bill carrying the ever-important Cristal Champagne. I had headed up to the Lido earlier to provide a tray of cheese and crackers and then to the Crow’s Nest to pick up an additional four Champagne glasses (since we only have two), so we were ready when they all arrived. I’ve had Dom Perignon more than once, but this was even better. However, it’s not enough better to pay the ship’s charge of $300! As it was free, though, we all took full advantage.

After our cocktail interval, we headed down to the dining room where we had arranged to have a table set near ours for the six of us. It’s the captain’s table when he invites guests, but Karen, the captain’s wife, said that they wouldn’t be using it, so we took full advantage. Dinner was great fun, as we talked and laughed and ate - way too much. Jane ordered the “Whopping Porterhouse Steak - 22 ounces,” and it covered her entire plate. She made it through about half of it and then gave up.

The show last night was the Amsterdam Singers and Dancers’ last performance, and they sang and danced to the songs of Elton John, Billy Joel, and Barry Manilow. They were, as usual, excellent. The dancers, especially, are gorgeous - tall, thin and blonde. I think I’ll need to drown them.

John is working on his “Top Ten” list of things we did or saw during the voyage, so I guess I’ll have to begin one too. The advantage his will have is that he’ll include a photo for each. It makes my head just spin to try to narrow the list down to ten. We’ll see what makes the cut.

P. S. Keith and Margaret - it's good to hear from you. We've loved this year's cruise, but we've missed you.

And to our Cambria friends - glad to hear about the rain.

"The dancers, especially, are gorgeous - tall, thin and blonde. I think I’ll need to drown them."

It's statements like this that make me certain I could enjoy cruising with you. LOL, you really made me laugh with this one. Thanks once more for taking the time to make your trip our trip. I hope you get some sunny warm weather before you hit Ft. Lauderdale.

Monday, April 27, 2015 - Day 112

At Sea - still! Will we ever arrive?

The fun never stops around here. Yesterday was pretty relaxing, and friends even told us that it was warm outside, but I had a book club book to finish, and that’s what I did. If you have a chance to read Of Marriageable Age, I suggest you do so. It’s a combination of a mystery, cultural information, a family saga, and a love story. I think it’s the best of the four books we’ve read this year and one that I’ll no doubt re-read when I get home.

Last evening was the Captain’s Farewell Cocktail Party in the Queen’s Lounge where passengers who achieved silver (300 days), gold (500 days), or platinum (700 days) were honored, asked to come to the front to have a photo taken with Captain Jonathan and Hotel Manager Henk. Because there were so many, the copper (100 days) people were simply asked to stand. Instead of handing out medals during the ceremony, they’re sent to the cabins and recipients are asked to wear them. There are two schools of thought regarding medals; one group thinks they are wonderful and saves them and occasionally wears them on board ship while the other group thinks “Oh, well” and either leaves them on the ship or gives them to grandchildren to play “Olympics.” We’re in the latter group, and our gold medallions are a proud part of our granddaughter’s toy chest.

We’re currently (at the end of this cruise) at somewhere around 655 days, so we have quite a few days before we receive our platinum medallion. Then Jessica will be able to invite more children over for games. The real reason most people go to these affairs is for the free drinks, and they do flow.

After the cocktail party it was time for the Captain’s Dinner, so those of us scheduled for it headed down towards the Pinnacle where we waited to be seated. When I had asked Tina, the future cruise consultant, if we were seated with them, she said, “Oh no, you’re with someone with a LOT more stripes.” That someone turned out to be the captain, whose table is the 14-top in the back of the Pinnacle. I was assigned to “Position 6,” which meant nothing to me but did to the waiter, and I was escorted to a seat to the right of Captain Jonathan. John, on the other hand, was escorted to a seat at the other end of the table to the right of Karen Mercer, sometimes known as Mrs. Captain. The food was excellent and the conversation flowed. We talked about everything from training for officers, specifically captains, to growing up in England, to how he felt about the half dozen Alaska cruises he’ll captain this summer. It was a lovely meal, and the only one I’ve ever attended where everyone at the table had an individual server poised behind him/her to either remove a dish or serve the next course. I guess that’s what happens when you eat with the captain!

The Masked Ball began in the Queen’s Lounge at 9:30, but since we didn’t finish dinner until about 10:00, we missed the first part of it. It was, as usual, beautifully decorated and very crowded. There’s a dance floor in the middle of the lounge, but it really isn’t big enough for all the people who want to dance. We stayed until the end at 10:30, winning nothing in the raffle (they were giving away $100 bottles of Johnny Walker very high end Scotch), and then headed up to the Crow’s Nest for the after party. There were lots of friends there and the music was more to our taste for dancing, the best example being “Old Time Rock and Roll,” a song which I can’t hear without wanting to dance. We stayed until about midnight and then wished our friends goodnight and returned to our cabin to turn the clocks back yet another hour. We’ve done this every night for the last four, and it seems everyone is now waking up about 4:30 or 5:00 (sunrise is also very early) and I think naps are in a lot of people’s plans.

It was a lovely day and a great night and, although we’re anxious to get home, we’re still going to wring every bit of fun out of the time remaining.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - Day 113

At Sea - Still!

One question that we are certain to be asked upon return from one of these wonderful cruises is, “What was the best place?” What a question! We have seen such amazing sights and had such spectacular experiences that it’s almost an impossible question. It’s like comparing apples and oranges and bananas and monkeys; there have been too many wonders to describe.

However, I have tried to come up with my top ten places, (as John is doing on Facebook) in chronological order rather than any kind of preference. They were all such memorable experiences that they cannot be ranked. So, here they are:

Bora Bora, French Polynesia - We spent a day in paradise. The water is a shade

of turquoise seldom seen and a temperature that simply invites you to swim. We

saw dozens of different colors of coral, more tropical fish than any aquarium,

and swam with sharks and manta rays. Even the nasty sunburn on my back

(from snorkeling) didn’t ruin my wonderful day.

Champagne Under the Stars in Sydney - What could be better than sitting on the

top deck of our beautiful ship with the Sydney Opera House on one side and the

Sydney Harbour Bridge on the other. We had white linens and sparkling silver

and enjoyed Veuve Cliquot Champagne while listening to Debby Bacon play the

piano under the stars. It was an amazing experience.

Bali - Our four days at The Mulia Hotel in Bali to celebrate John’s birthday were

four days of incredible indulgence, with a hotel room bigger than the ship’s

penthouse and a bathroom bigger than our cabin on the ship. The Balinese

people are warm and welcoming and the natural surroundings of the island

are as lovely as the greenest tropics.

Bagan, Myanmar - I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many pagodas and temples in

my life. All 3,000 of them seem to just sprout out of the ground in a terra cotta

color, inviting the visitor to see as many as possible, which we did on our

Balloons over Bagan ride. Because of the many fires used by the inhabitants,

there is smoke lying over much of the area each morning. That, however, is

exactly what makes the balloon ride so magical: there are temples and pagodas

everywhere, surrounded by smoky mist and making me forget that I’m afraid of

heights!

Inle Lake, Myanmar - I’ve never spent time in an area where the only transportation

is by longboat and where fisherman pole their boats through the shallow water by

wrapping one leg around the pole so that both their arms can be used for the

nets. Hotels are built on stilts and getting to the local market means that you

must first listen to boat motors beginning at about 3:00 in the morning and then

take your own longboat to a market where we were the only westerners for the

first couple of hours. John’s photo from Inle Lake on Facebook is one of our

very favorites.

Varanasi, India - Above all the unique places we visited, this one wins the prize

for “unlike anything I’ve ever seen or thought about.” When I was in junior

high or high school, I saw a photo of Varanasi in a textbook and thought, “that

place really can’t be that unusual.” Boy, was I wrong. I have all kinds of

feelings about Varanasi: fascination, repugnance, amazement, sympathy, etc. More than any place I’ve ever visited, it’s the one that amazed me the most, educated me the most, and the one I’m not sure I would return to. That sounds contradictory, but it’s all true. Every first world citizen should visit Varanasi.

Mumbai, India - We’ve been to Mumbai several times, and every time is different

and just plain fascinating. When I was in my 20’s, the concept of India made me

very uncomfortable; the people were too poor and there were too many of them.

Now that I’m (a lot) older, I just love every visit to every port in India, especially

this one. It’s a delight for the senses - all of them. I can’t recommend it enough.

Petra, Jordan - This World Heritage Site has been here since before the Romans,

but for most of its history it was buried under a whole desert of sand. Carved out

of solid rock, the high-walled walkways and colorful buildings draw thousands

of people each day. You can get into the heart of Petra by taking a carriage or a

mule along the mile-long entry canyon, but walking showed us all the small and

large details and led us quite gradually to the first “A-Ha” moment when you see

The Treasury. Just be sure that you set aside a whole day to see everything -

and that your legs are in good condition.

Jerusalem (especially on Easter Sunday) - Whether you’re a Christian, Jew or

Muslim, Jerusalem is a must-see place. I have attended Sunday School and/or

church my whole life, and to see these sites was almost an out-of-body

experience. I’m a bit cynical about whether the “approved locations” are really

where things took place, but some places, like The Garden of Gethsemane,

are exactly where the gospels say it is. We’re hoping to return to Israel either

in the fall or next spring, and I can’t wait to not only visit Jerusalem again, but

to stay there and just wander.

The Sea of Galilee - Our second day in Israel was centered on sites around the

Sea of Galilee, including the village where Peter lived, the Jordan River, and a

small fishing village that probably looked like what it did 2,000 years ago.

This is another area I’d like to spend time when we return to Israel next year.

So, there you have it, my Top 10 places. There were others that I’ll never forget, but

these were especially memorable.

Thank you for the time and thought you put into this daily diary. The fact that you have a gift for expessing yourself (and you are upbeat) is a wonderful bonus. Please cruise (and write) for many years to come. We may never take a world cruise, but thanks to you, we have been on several.