Which bahamas iteniary is good and bad?

ccleveland

Thanks "Tapi" for the review about the Royal caribbean cruise trip . That was aweosme. Im totally not putting carnival down at all here. I have only done 2 carnival cruises in my life and LOVED THEM!! Its just that i talked to my wife (she owns her salon shop right now and its just her running it right now) so she told me tonight that she wants to leave on 1/31 or 2/1 and come back 2/4 (she thinks were going to helen GA or gatlinburg TN. haha its a cruise surprise!) so.... i went to the royal website and saw a 4 night that goes from port canaveral on the enchantment of seas starting at 217 per person.

Im going to write down all my choices now and pretty much see whats lower cost for me (I'm on very tight budget) and go from there. I would rather do western caribean because its probably warmer than bahamas

I would definitely Jump on a 5 day Caribbean cruise to GC/Cozumel or GC/Jamaica before the Bahamas ESPECIALLY in Feb. It can get VERY cold in the Bahamas in Feb, you're in the N. Atlantic there not the Caribbean. And as everyone already mentioned Freeport is lame unless yah like storage tanks + concrete factories.

And I think Little Stirrup Cay is now the former Coco Cay that the Fantasy is traveling to.......

Misslucy01

Carnival calls the island Little Stirrup Cay and puts a plywood sign over the Coco Cay sign of RCI. It has a huge water park and hammocks all over the island. A very nice private island.

I'll take Freeport before I take Nassau. What an overcrowded dump!
I'll second that! We much preferred Freeport to Nassau. We went to Paradise Cove, where you can snorkel Deadman's Reef right from the beach. Nice beach and good snorkeling. The biggest problem with Freeport is that you're docked in an industrial area - there's nothing within walking distance aside from the few restaurants and shops right next to the pier. However, I liked that you could get off the ship and not have to run the gamut of hair braiders and the like, which is what you get in Nassau.

Having said that, if I could book a 5-day going to Grand Turk and HMC, I'd go in a heartbeat.:cool:

I will go against the more experienced grain here and say we enjoyed Nassau and Freeport. We took our first ever cruise in September and loved both Nassau and Freeport. We really have nothing to compare them to as Florida is the most tropical place we had previously been to. I do see many of the East Coast cruises stop there so I can understand for those that cruise often, they may be bored of the same stops and touristy stuff.

In Nassau we did the day pass at the Melia hotel and it was wonderful and secluded and as close to paradise as we've ever been. The weather was perfect that time of year and the water was beautiful. We felt like we practically had the place to ourselves. I'm not normally a beach person, but I'd love to spend a week at that hotel and beach easily. We looked into visiting Blue Lagoon there, but the times didn't quite work out. We stopped at McDonand's on the way back to the ship and wound up in the middle of a happy hour with a guy playing music and singing live and employees throwing out handfuls of candy and party horns. Can say I've never seen anything like that in our boring US McDonald's. LOL

We had a very short time in Freeport. We had wanted to do a Pat & Dianne's snorkel package but there wasn't enough time. I only shopped right off the pier and obviously, had a better time in Nassau. But my husband and older son found a vendor and rented a jet ski for a short time and they had a blast.

I'd love to visit the "private' islands that are ports too, but I also look forward to visiting Nassau and Freeport again, hopefully, sooner rather than later.

It really just depends on your preferences. For me, I want to go to Key West (I live in Wyoming so it's not an easy other time stop) and the only one with the length I want that goes there goes to Freeport and Nassau (I don't care to go back to either but Key West gives me the value). So, look at the things you want to do or see and see what you you value most. Kind of like your pros and cons list.

I have never been to Freeport, but have visited Nassau twice & enjoyed it both times. The first time we spent the day at Blue Lagoon Island & the 2nd trip we visited Atlantis for the day. Granted there are other ports I like more, but in no way did I dislike Nassau 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Despite common belief, and maybe this is because from Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore and NYC, most cruises go to the Bahamas, but I have never seen the Bahamas as a bad destination.

Freeport is great for shopping. If you want to make that your mostly-ship-but-still-port day, it's a good idea. You can get a day pass to Grand Lucaya. Freeport is a great place for a snorkeling excursion. If you'd rather visit a hotel beach or Atlantis in Nassau, Freeport is the perfect place to just get a snorkeling excursion. Swimming with the dolphins in Freeport was also a fun memory.

Nassau is really not that bad, and every time my ship docks there, I vow to get off. You totally can get an excursion to Atlantis or another hotel or Blue Lagoon. Nassau also has fun excursions like Segway Tours and whatnot. But Junkanoo Beach is a great cheap way to enjoy Nassau. It's nearby, clean, and beautiful, and definitely beats a day on the ship. There are nice markets. You can also walk up to Fort Fincastle or the Queen's Staircase too. Nassau can be the best day on a cruise, it is actually a very fun place.

Although I haven't been to Half Moon Cay, I have always wanted to go. I know that they have excursions, but there is a huge stretch of beach and it has some of the bluest water I've ever seen. I bet Half Moon Cay would be the place I got the greatest and most painful cruise souvenir, a full-body sunburn :D

You are in for a great vacation, and some other stops on your Bahamas cruse may include Port Canaveral or Grand Turk. Good luck on whatever you choose!

I never thought I would say this, but I'm actually really looking forward to our visit in Nassau this week.

As you should be. Nassau is a great port, even if you get off for just 10 minutes to take ship pictures or shop. You could easily blow 2 hours at Junkanoo or walk up to Fincastle. I hate when people bash it, there is so much to see and do there. Especially this time of year when it's cold at home, I would appreciate a day in the Bahamas.

Enjoy your cruise, hopefully you decide to write a review.

As you should be. Nassau is a great port, even if you get off for just 10 minutes to take ship pictures or shop. You could easily blow 2 hours at Junkanoo or walk up to Fincastle. I hate when people bash it, there is so much to see and do there. Especially this time of year when it's cold at home, I would appreciate a day in the Bahamas.

Enjoy your cruise, hopefully you decide to write a review.

Thanks for the warm wishes, cruisexlife. I'm not sure I'll write a review, but I'll definitely use the experience to assist others here as always.

I don't think I'd ever go to Junkanoo Beach though, nor would I recommend it. To me, Junkanoo Beach is just dirty and I have much nicer and cleaner beaches within walking distance at home. The only beach I honestly/personally can recommend any cruiser going to is at Half Moon Cay (and Grand Turk, but that isn't in the Bahamas, although found on Bahamian itineraries). Our plans for Nassau are to meet up with some friends who moved there from the States and go out for lunch. We'll most likely be staying on the ship in Princess Cays if we don't head into Eleuthera.

OP, Nassau and Freeport are worth visiting at least once, but if you're looking for a beach cruise, aim for the HMC/Grand Turk cruise.

Edited by Disconnections

Thanks for the warm wishes, cruisexlife. I'm not sure I'll write a review, but I'll definitely use the experience to assist others here as always.

I don't think I'd ever go to Junkanoo Beach though, nor would I recommend it. To me, Junkanoo Beach is just dirty and I have much nicer and cleaner beaches within walking distance at home. The only beach I honestly/personally can recommend any cruiser going to is at Half Moon Cay (and Grand Turk, but that isn't in the Bahamas, although found on Bahamian itineraries). Our plans for Nassau are to meet up with some friends who moved there from the States and go out for lunch. We'll most likely be staying on the ship in Princess Cays if we don't head into Eleuthera.

OP, Nassau and Freeport are worth visiting at least once, but if you're looking for a beach cruise, aim for the HMC/Grand Turk cruise.

You can go into Eleuthera when you visit Princess Cays!? I didn't know that! :D Guess that's what CC is for.

I see you switched from Carnival to Princess, but you frequent the Carnival boards, so I am assuming it wasn't because something bad happened to you onboard a Carnival cruise, you just fancy Princess. What makes them different? I've wanted to try one for a while.

I will go against the more experienced grain here and say we enjoyed Nassau and Freeport. We took our first ever cruise in September and loved both Nassau and Freeport. We really have nothing to compare them to as Florida is the most tropical place we had previously been to. I do see many of the East Coast cruises stop there so I can understand for those that cruise often, they may be bored of the same stops and touristy stuff.

In Nassau we did the day pass at the Melia hotel and it was wonderful and secluded and as close to paradise as we've ever been. The weather was perfect that time of year and the water was beautiful. We felt like we practically had the place to ourselves. I'm not normally a beach person, but I'd love to spend a week at that hotel and beach easily. We looked into visiting Blue Lagoon there, but the times didn't quite work out. We stopped at McDonand's on the way back to the ship and wound up in the middle of a happy hour with a guy playing music and singing live and employees throwing out handfuls of candy and party horns. Can say I've never seen anything like that in our boring US McDonald's. LOL

We had a very short time in Freeport. We had wanted to do a Pat & Dianne's snorkel package but there wasn't enough time. I only shopped right off the pier and obviously, had a better time in Nassau. But my husband and older son found a vendor and rented a jet ski for a short time and they had a blast.

I'd love to visit the "private' islands that are ports too, but I also look forward to visiting Nassau and Freeport again, hopefully, sooner rather than later.

We liked Freeport and Nassau too. Did Atlantis in Nassau and a Dolphin excursion in Freeport which was awesome. The best thing about Freeport though was the van driver - OMG, this guy had us in stitches the entire ride to the excursion and back. One word of caution - they drive like crazy people there!!! Close your eyes while riding along, lol.

I have never been to Freeport, but have visited Nassau twice & enjoyed it both times. The first time we spent the day at Blue Lagoon Island & the 2nd trip we visited Atlantis for the day. Granted there are other ports I like more, but in no way did I dislike Nassau

Got a gorgeous Michael Kors purse and matching wallet in Nassau - definitely one of my better memories. ;)

What ask is fun to do in nassau? I hear Atlantis is fun but expensive?

Excursion wise, Blue Lagoon private island excursions are known to be fun, whether it be swimming with dolphins or their private beach. I did an excursion that was snorkeling and glass kayaking in Nassau once, and I had a great time. I would recommend that.

Non-Excursions, you can walk up to Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase. Something cool you should see at least once. You could always just shop, there are many shops in Nassau. Riding a horse and buggy seems to be popular whenever I visit Nassau. I enjoyed my time at Junkanoo Beach when I went there. We spent time in the water and taking pictures of our ship, which was fun.

Enjoy your day in Nassau, it can be great, as long as you go in with a good attitude :D

Freeport is boring but there's a bar that's amazing with a bartender named deli look him up Nassau is kinda boring too just Atlantis to really see excursions r a must in the Bahamas