Shore Excursion Operator wants my Cell Phone #?? Help.

etalplluf

Hi all,

We are doing a Med Cruise and have organized a shore excursion through a reputable company (good reviews on Trip Advisor). He asked for my Cell #, which I gladly gave him, but it got me to wondering…I was planning on keeping my cell coverage off. What's the best way to handle this? Is it better to have him email me if needed and then I can access wifi/data and pay that fee via ship? Or is there a Europe cell package I can buy? I'm CLUELESS. Help…what's the best way to handle this.

Thanks a bunch!

Call you cellphone provider and get a temporary Europe package. It can be only for the length of time that you are in Europe. As future information, you can buy a similar package for the Caribbean as well. This is the best way to handle cellphones and cruises as it will save you a great deal of money. Also ask your provider for advice on the settings you should have your cellphone on. Text is cheaper than voice. And usually you can get a package with unlimited text and 1 hour of voice. I found all this out because I have been caring for my elderly parents and needed a way for the caregiver company and my parents to contact me while on a cruise.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Who is your provider?

ATT and T-mobile will usually work in Europe (smartphones).

Verizon will not work at all (unless you get the loaner phone they offer for trips to Europe)

Reason: Completely different transmission protocols in the radios within the phones.

My sister is in Jamaica over the holidays and she arranged a free to receive text message package while still in Canada. However, she has a few free text messages to send and then pays. Once there, her husband bought a local package and can send for free but pays to receive. Kind of funny to send a message to one number and get a reply from a different number.

I do not know it this helps you in your situation but it may help others. Or maybe it is just kind of fun.

Don't know if this will work for you but we had our Verizon smart phone unlocked for our month long trip in England. When we got to England, we went into a cell phone store and got an English SIM card for the phone which was good for phone calls and also for some WIFI. The whole thing cost us maybe 20 or 30 dollars.

Then we we got back home, we went to the Verizon store and they put the US SIM chip back in.

DON

I have AT&T (a smart phone). I also just returned from Europe -- the UK to be exact. AT&T has an overseas package that allows for unlimited texting and access to WIFI and a data package for the occasional internet access that is not WIFI. There is a charge per minute for phone calls that is cheaper than you would normally pay (though it is more expensive than it is at home -- I just don't remember the cost). I think the package is $30 and is good for 30 days.

Just ask the excursion provider to text you if at all possible -- and to be extremely limited in the phone calls (which I would imagine would only be necessary to ensure meeting at the port).

I also did a similar package on our Mediterranean cruise years ago -- was a different type of package, but it worked fabulously. I gave my number to my friends that were traveling with me and told them only to have their families use it in case of an emergency. At every port I would call and listen for any voice mails. Worked like a charm!!!