Itinerary Change - Vision of the Seas, Jan 17 - Playa Del Carmen

I haven't received notification but noticed on the our itinerary for this cruise that they've replaced Cozumel with Playa Del Carmen. I'm on the Vision the week before and Cozumel is still one of our stops. Anyone have any idea why the swap?

Also says that Playa Del Carmen is a tender port. Anyone done this tender before that can tell me how long it takes?

Hey Kay,

The swap may be because of the weather forecast.

We LOVED PdC. It was great and it IS a tender port. You'll meet the silver vendors on the tender, they are a hoot. Hopefully you'll have 'Cheapo Felipo'. He's a character.

The ride on the tender CAN be rough. It takes about 15 minutes or less depending on how rough it is.

PdC is a great little town. Cobble stone main street and no cars allowed. It's very quiet and fun. Great Mariachi groups.

There's a restaurant/bar that has SWINGS for seats at the bar and tables RIGHT on the edge of the street. Food is super and the service is great.

You'll enjoy PdC.

I have an idea it is there were too many ships scheduled for Coz. With the Vision there would have been 3 Royal ships, Carnival has 2 ships scheduled, so that only leaves Punta Langosta. NCL and Disney usually go to Langosta and they are both scheduled for Coz that day as well. Doesn't look like any room at the inn.

Lucky you.........I wish RCCL had Playa on more of their itineraries......I last went on the Jewel in 2007....One day in Cozumel,next at Playa.........we floated out there on the water overnight...It's that close.......

I have an idea it is there were too many ships scheduled for Coz. With the Vision there would have been 3 Royal ships, Carnival has 2 ships scheduled, so that only leaves Punta Langosta. NCL and Disney usually go to Langosta and they are both scheduled for Coz that day as well. Doesn't look like any room at the inn.

On Vision last month, we had to dock at Punta Langosta because Celebrity and Carnival had taken over International Pier. I'm on Brilliance on Jan. 17, leaving Tampa when Vision does, and there were supposed to be 7 ships in Coz. That's a lot!

Playa Del Carmen is MUCH better if you plan on visiting XCaret, or Tulum, since PdC is right on the mainland (Cozumel being an island). Playa Del Carmen is a very nice tourist town - lots of restaurants/shopping, etc.

Playa is great!!! You can get a beach chair for free at any of the restaurants and get food and drink, or pay a small fee and go to a beach club, Mamita's and Zenzi are 2 that I like. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just noticed this change, as well. Although, no one has "officially" notified us. You'd think they would know how many ships are booked to go to Cozumel BEFORE selling the itinerary. We've been to Cozumel many times, so we are actually looking forward to the change. But, they should have notified everyone much sooner than this!

We're also on Legend on Feb 6....and we've received notice that Tortola has been scrapped and St Thomas is replacing it (due to pier construction). Gee, it would be nice to know this BEFORE final payment was due so people could change their plans if they wanted. It doesn't really bother us, but I'm sure there are some people who already had plans and excursions organized.

Peter

I actually really like Cozumel, but I've only been there once.

Playa del Carmen is really lovely too, though! It used to be a regular stop on the Celebrity Western itineraries. We went to Xcaret, which was billed a biological park. We went floating down their underground river, they have some gorgeous beaches, cool walking trails...definitely check it out!!!

I don't remember the tender being rough at all...it was a quick 10-15 min ride.

Have fun!

We've been in Coz when there were 11 other ships in port (Hurricane Dave forced everything Eastern into a Western), and ships were using their own lifeboats as tenders - very crowded. Sounds like a good choice on RCL's part to avoid that mess.

PdC used to be a regular stop in the old days, when ships were smaller and could dock there. The nice thing about PdC is that it makes shore excursions that visit the Mayan ruins a lot easier to do. There was a smaller cruise ship (no idea which line - white ship with a baby blue funnel) that docked there on new years day to drop off shore excursions and then came across the channel and re-docked next to the Neuw Amsterdam at Punta Langosta.

So are there public beaches that you can walk to when you get off the tender??? Any recomendations?

Literally at the end of the pier, both left and right is amazing beach. The whole town of Playa is edged by the beach (hence the word Playa).

Playa is my favourite place in the world. I considered moving there about 10 years ago. We've spent many weeks in Playa and look forward to many more.

Interested in information overload about Playa? http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/

Yes, people get that obsessed about Playa.

Spire2000.....do you know how far mamitas is from the pier you get off?

Assuming the tenders let you off at the north pier, not the ferry pier (this is how they used to do it, might not anymore), Mamitas is about a 5 minute walk up the beach to the north. Beaches are public in Mexico so cross in front of the Royal Playa Del Carmen (our favourite resort, by the way) and the new resort being built and you are there. They'll be people at the per who can show you also. Lots of beer umbrellas up the beach, can't miss it.