Maasdam-Montreal to Boston or Boston to Montreal?

steve4031

Greetings,

I was discussing cruises with my father and he was somewhat interested in this. I'm excited I the thought of this cruise because I think sailing the Saint Lawrence seaway would be interesting.

That being said I see that the Maasdam operates on a series of back to back trips between Montreal and Boston. With prices being similar, which direction is best?

A brief look at reviews showed the usual level of complaining which makes it hard to determine the true character of this ship. It looks to be older which is ok with me. I've sailed on Carnival fantasy class ships, the Destiny, and the ncl Sun. I Am thinking that the Maasdam would be more like the sun then the others. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done that Maasdam Canada/NE cruise b-to-b, Boston to Montreal to Boston many times and love it. Both segments are wonderful but seeing you are particularly interested in St. Lawrence River, you will see more of it sailing Boston to Montreal. The reverse will have you sailing much of it late at night in the dark, though it is beautiful seeing lights on both sides of the river while dining at 8 P.M. :)

I have been on that class of ship, but not that ship specifically. We really enjoy the size and amenities. I just wanted to let you know you will not enter the St. Lawrence seaway on this cruise. You will be on the St. Lawrence River but the seaway starts after the port of Montreal to bring ships into the Great Lakes. The first obstruction are the Lachine rapids which are just a bit further along than the port.

I think your consideration is whether you want to fly into Canada to begin your cruise or to fly from Canada after. Flying into Canada you would have to go through customs and immigration at the airport. Otherwise the cruise hits all the same ports.

I really want to do this cruise. Enjoy.

Thank you for the information and geography correction. I had forgotten about the difference between the seaway and the river.

Where is the most interesting part of the St. Lawrence River?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having also done both directions on various itineraries -- JMO -- I would do the Boston to Montreal route. Get the longer flight over with -- especially since we do not know the age of your father.

That way at the end of the cruise you will go through immigration in Montreal and then fly home to Chicago.

I did Boston to Montreal this past July. Maasdam is a wonderful ship, no worries there. Can't offer an opinion about the reverse direction. Because of where we live (north of NYC) we rented a car to Boston and then took Amtrak the day after arrival from Montreal to home. Whatever direction you do, I encourage you to add a day on either or both ends if you've never been to either Montreal or Boston, because they are great cities with lots to see as well!

Also, depending on the time of year you go, on the Boston to Montreal run after you leave Charlottetown, PEI, you might go under the Confederation Bridge which was neat. Also interesting bridges to go under after Quebec heading up-River to Montreal as well as at arrival in Montreal.

image.jpg.a5089c842632b0891dca3d8ccbec7a86.jpg

Also, depending on the time of year you go, on the Boston to Montreal run after you leave Charlottetown, PEI, you might go under the Confederation Bridge which was neat. Also interesting bridges to go under after Quebec heading up-River to Montreal as well as at arrival in Montreal.

You are right about going under the bridges. As many times as I've watched Maasdam 'just make it', I still look in wonder as we sail beneath. Maasdam at 55,000 ton is not as big a ship as so many today and she does not have a lot of spare room atop her funnels to clear.

Sailing Boston to Montreal, you see the bridges way more fun than Montreal to Boston.

Eurodam has to stop in Quebec City and go back as she is too tall to fit under the bridges.

Edited by sail7seas

... the order of your cruise is a matter of personal preference. However, we try to do the land portion of the trip before the cruise, so that we can use the cruise to rest up from the rigors of flying and sight-seeing ... as such for us, it'd be Montreal to Boston ... whichever way you go, I hope you have a great time.

Rod

I get this, as it is a problem we have asked ourselves.

Should we do this cruise we have decided to begin in Boston - spend 3-4 days there and another two-three days in Montreal or Quebec city and forget about back to back. You get the same number of vacation days AND more time in two of the most interesting and enriching cities in North America. Boston for me is a civilized New York city, which we also love.

I get it if back to back is your preference and this doesn't help you. If we were to do back to back we would start in Montreal. TSA can open your bags out of our presence in Boston airport which is problematic. Our bags are too old to retrofit with TSA locks and too expensive to replace with new ones with TSA locks built in. Our luggage has to be locked to remain closed, and locks must be broken to open the bag out of our presence. As bags are not (yet) opened like this in Canada, we prefer the flight to Boston from Montreal, spend a few days there then on the ship for the return trip.

Beyond this, Sail makes an excellent point also.

So I agree with many here - you can't make a bad choice but there are considerations that are more important to some than others.

I'm sure you have a wonderful experience ahead.

Edited by world~citizen

If you are American and IF ending in Montreal and you have to change planes in Toronto, go the other way, i.e. Montreal to Boston. The transit experience from Canadian to US flights in Toronto is both a very long walk, and full of other annoyances such as having to pick up your backs, go through long security lines and recheck your bags. I swore never again.

If you are American and IF ending in Montreal and you have to change planes in Toronto, go the other way, i.e. Montreal to Boston. The transit experience from Canadian to US flights in Toronto is both a very long walk, and full of other annoyances such as having to pick up your backs, go through long security lines and recheck your bags. I swore never again.

... and yet ANOTHER good reason to do the Montreal-to-Boston itinerary if you live in the US ...

Has it changed?

We always flew non-stop Montreal to Boston. Did it a number of times when we went for 'land vacations' in Montreal.

I concur with 'shrimp--'Avoid flying from the US through Pearson (Toronto), he is not exaggerating, book a direct flight to Trudeau (Mtl.).

I used to be forced through there on business and seldom was it enjoyable, or even tolerable!!

If forced through Toronto, I would fly to Logan and take the cruise the other direction.

No matter which you chose, enjoy your cruise!!

Sail. To get to Chicago from Canada I often have to change in Toronto. Next time I'll go via Boston LOL

The Bear. Actually it was the Canada to US via Pearson I was talking about. Sorry to hear that it's bad the other way.

Sail. To get to Chicago from Canada I often have to change in Toronto. Next time I'll go via Boston LOL

The Bear. Actually it was the Canada to US via Pearson I was talking about. Sorry to hear that it's bad the other way.

If you are coming through Boston, please let me know. :)